No announcement yet.

Please Help! Did I find something rare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help! Did I find something rare?

Hello everyone!,
    My name is Bill and I am new here but I am hoping you all can give me some Studebaker insight! Admittedly I am a hotrodder and know only a little bit outside the world of fords and chevys. But being the purveyor of old parts that I am, I sometimes get random calls to come get a part or two. A while back I received a call to get what ended up being a 1925 Duplex rear body section out from under an old barn where it had been for over 40 years.
    More interesting was the acquisition from the other day...Heres the story.
    An old friend is slowly taking over his family lumber yard and is cleaning up the property and calls to tell me I can get the old hulk out back if I want it. Well, I arrived to find the remnants of an old car that was used to power the old mill at some point. It was always rumored that there was an old Chrysler up there, but I knew it wasnt once I saw it. It was another Stude (less than a half mile away from the Duplex) in rough shape. The car had been cut in half and all that is left is the cowl, grille and radiator (whats left of it) the front frame half (cut about three feet to the rear of the cowl) the straigt 8 engine and the transmission ( which appear to be complete). The vin or serial number tag was still attached and the number is 6026038.
    So, Is there any way of dicifering what the rear half may have been? The windshield frame is indicative of an open car and it has suicide door strikers. Here are some pics. I will have more pics of the rest of the parts when I get them home, hopefully this week. Dont be scared of the amalgamtion pic! I use the old ford chassis to store stuff on some it doesnt look haphazzard to the overly concerned neighbors

Ooops, forgot pictures!
    Attached Files

Comment

Holy Cow! Looks like Ed "Big Daddy" Roth had a vision. Neat find.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Welcome - and yes, it's cool!
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

It sure appears that you have the remains of either a 1932 President or Commander 8. Windshield is definitely from an open car, too bad there's so little left of it. Hopefully Richard Quinn will pop in and fill in the finer details for you. Nice find! Evan
          Evan Davis
          Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Serial number indicates 1932 Model 91 President I think

Comment

Originally posted by fargoguy View Post
              It sure appears that you have the remains of either a 1932 President or Commander 8. Windshield is definitely from an open car, too bad there's so little left of it. Hopefully Richard Quinn will pop in and fill in the finer details for you. Nice find! Evan
              Yes, you are correct, a 1932 President model 91. May have been a roadster or convertible sedan. There should be a small metal plate on the firewall drivers side that starts with the number 91. If the 91 is followed by the letter R it was once a roadster (convertible), if followed by an S it was a convertible sedan. Let me know what if anything is for sale.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I would say this is the tag youre talking about!
                Does the '26' mean anything? And what were the production numbers of this car?
                Attached Files

Comment

The 26 means it was the 26th 1932 President Model 91 roadster built.

Terry

Comment

And as it being for sale...well, I've been accused of being a hoarder!!
                    The more Im learning about these parts the more I know I wont be using them for a hotrod frankenstein. The thought of building an Indy replicar has been circling my brain...
                    All that being said it will probably be for sale when I get it all to my shop and cleaned up.

Comment

Wow , me like ! . . Can someone post a pic of this model car when new . . . .

Comment

At one time your car was quite beautiful and elegant! Top a 1932 President convertible sedan. At bottom four 1932 President Roadsters. Very common cars!?
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Slick Willy View Post
                          I would say this is the tag youre talking about!
                          Does the '26' mean anything? And what were the production numbers of this car?

If 91R is a Four Seasons, you have quite a find. A 100-200K or so restoration though.
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

In my expedited research about this car, I came across the RM Auction site. In their spec pages for the roadster it says that 200 were built in 1931-32. Any idea how many were made in 1932 only? And then it says only 9 survivors exist for 1932!?! Dont get me wrong! I realize that I have a chunk of rusty metal, but after a few years of being given air-cooled vw and model A parts this is cool to me, realllyyy cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Slick Willy View Post
                              In my expedited research about this car, I came across the RM Auction site. In their spec pages for the roadster it says that 200 were built in 1931-32. Any idea how many were made in 1932 only? And then it says only 9 survivors exist for 1932!?! Dont get me wrong! I realize that I have a chunk of rusty metal, but after a few years of being given air-cooled vw and model A parts this is cool to me, realllyyy cool!
                              What you have was once neat (as the photos above will attest). What you have now is a small part of a vehicle with but few usable parts. I personally know of all of the 1932 President convertible roadsters and convertible sedans extant (and their owners). Did you check the body tag I mentioned to you? If you decide to restore it I have some hub caps and a clock mirror for it. Let me know if you need additional information.
                              Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                              X