More info needed on '64 R2 GT Hawk VIN 64V9645

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More info needed on '64 R2 GT Hawk VIN 64V9645

This vehicle is 4 speed with S/C but does not have a 160 mph speedometer. Someone had said all '64 R2's were Super Hawks? The car in question needs paint, but is solid and runs. I'd really appreciate any available info about the car and some more ballpark estimates as to its rarity and value. Thanks.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Ed,

Are you sure the Serial number is 64V-9645? If that is correct, it is not (according to my list) a factory Jet Thrust car. Do you have the engine number?
    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
    \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
      Ed,

Are you sure the Serial number is 64V-9645? If that is correct, it is not (according to my list) a factory Jet Thrust car. Do you have the engine number?

I double checked, and you are correct, not a factory Avanti powered car at all. I can check the engine number to ID the car it came from.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks Gentlemen. I suspected something was fishy here. see http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/2290409306.html

Originally posted by JDP View Post
        I double checked, and you are correct, not a factory Avanti powered car at all. I can check the engine number to ID the car it came from.
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

Comment

Listed under StudAbaker. Yeesh!
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by edpjr View Post
            Thanks Gentlemen. I suspected something was fishy here. see http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/2290409306.html

The modified 57-58 blower setup should have been a hint. It is however a supercharged 64 Hawk as advertized, just not by the factory or using correct 64 parts.
            Last edited by JDP; 04-12-2011, 08:07 PM.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

Yep. I'm obviously not very knowledgeable about Hawk/Lark Supercharger setups. Apparently someone added the old GH type S/C to a Hawk that probably came with a non-R series 289 4-speed. The owner was honest. He never claimed it was a Super Hawk and readily provided the VIN # and the fact it did not have a 160 mph speedometer.

Originally posted by JDP View Post
              The modified 57-58 blower setup should have been a hint. It is however a supercharged 64 Hawk as advertized, just not by the factory or using correct 64 parts.
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

Comment

To answer your earlier question, Ed: There is no correlation between R2 engines and Super Hawks. Some R1 cars were Super Hawks and some R2 cars were not Super Hawks. It depends on how the car was ordered and, to some extent, when the car was ordered, in that the Super Package (and, hence, Super Hawk designation) was not available until mid-year. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That unusual paint job on that '64 Hawk looks familiar to me. I can't quite place it from the distant past. Is it a car Paul G. built up in CA?
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary: If I remember correctly, Paul Gunders (there's a name from the was distant past) was all Maroon with a Black top. Further, I believe that his car ended up in PA for awhile, some time back. stupak

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      To answer your earlier question, Ed: There is no correlation between R2 engines and Super Hawks. Some R1 cars were Super Hawks and some R2 cars were not Super Hawks. It depends on how the car was ordered and, to some extent, when the car was ordered, in that the Super Package (and, hence, Super Hawk designation) was not available until mid-year. BP
                      Bob is right, as usual. My R-2 GT 63V-33073 has everything, including the 160 mph speedo EXCEPT the rear sway bar and traction rods of the Super Hawk. I remember when I brought it to my first SDC meet over 20 years ago how dismissive a few guys were because it wasn't a full-package car. Didn't bother me then or now!

Russ Farris
                      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Originally posted by maxpower1954 View Post
                        I remember when I brought it to my first SDC meet over 20 years ago how dismissive a few guys were because it wasn't a full-package car. Didn't bother me then or now!

Russ Farris
                        Not me, I always liked your Hawk!
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
                        X