63 avanti serial (used in Va. as VIN) number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 avanti serial (used in Va. as VIN) number

Does anyone have a picture showing the location of a 63 Avanti serial number (not the "body" tag on the passenger side fire wall) that they could send me. Ken, Deltaville, Va.
    Last edited by ken-renda; 04-10-2011, 04:25 PM.

I don't have a picture, but it's located on the top of the right frame rail, just below the heater blower fan motor. It's often covered in grease and oil. If you don't see it, wipe the area off with a cloth and you should find it.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

And if you want tom make yours look like new, there are foil decals avalable for the top part of it.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Thanks for info re serial nmber, but I would like to have pic to send to family trying to ID an old Avanti that has been in storage for many years and, for them, a picture would be worth "a thousand words" as the old saying goes.

Comment

here you go...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0243.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1667903Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0244.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1667904
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Ken, here you go.
            Attached Files
            John
            1963 Avanti R2
            Marshall, VA

Comment

Thanks that's what I needed. Ken, Deltaville, va
              Last edited by ken-renda; 04-11-2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know, at what point the avanti dropped the year from the vin#.

Comment

Mid year 63....as sales were slow. They then said that running changes will be put into production, instead of yearly designations.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by RR1928 View Post

The model year was removed effective with serial number R-3100.
                    Bob Langer
                    Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Service Letter G-1964-3B, dated May 13, 1964, states that the year prefix was removed effective with S/N R-3100 (as stated by Bob L.) [I just wanted to give the reference document.].
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There often was a difference between what Studebaker said they were going to do and what they actually did. I just did a quick review of Avanti production orders in the area you asked about, and the first Avanti serial number I found without the "63" prefix was R-3601. BUT, it had been typed 63R-3601, and the "63" had been crossed out in pencil. 3601 was produced on March 4, 1963.

Between Avantis 3601 and 3613, most had the "63" typed on the PO and then crossed out. Some did not have the "63" at all. After serial 3613, it looks like they were consistent and left the "63" off.

Avantis from serial 3100 on up to 3601 appear to have the "63" prefix, as did Avantis before 3100. There's more, but that gives you an idea of how difficult it sometimes can be to make hard and fast statements about exactly when Studebaker made changes.

I'm just going by production orders here, not the actual number on the serial plate on the car. That may be different yet, but I don't have that information. It would be interesting to get reports on this from members who own cars in this serial range.

George

Last edited by R3 challenger; 08-13-2012, 01:20 PM.
                        george krem

Comment

Working...
                        X