Painting of NOS sheet metal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting of NOS sheet metal.

I am restoring a 51 starlight coupe which with the exception of the body shell will have
    all NOS sheet metal.
    My question is how do I proceed painting these body panels which are still in factory primer
    that seems to be in good condition?

Thanks
    Paul

You are going to open a big can of worms on this subject and get a dozen of different answers for primers and types of topcoats and the mixing of product lines. Have you searched past threads on this?
    Tom
    sigpic

Comment

I agree!
      Any good paint rep that is worth his salt will tell you that you have to use one product line from the metal to the final top coat whether it be clear or color.
      My recomendation is to strip the old protective primer off and start fresh. As some parts were lacquer primered. Which should not be left under any of the new paints on the market.
      Good Luck
      &
      Good Roads
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Hey, Brian is on the forum...was hoping you would address this question. Perhaps you are an hour ahead of me today. Regards, junior.
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Agree totally with Brian
          Tom
          sigpic

Comment

As long as there is NO rust or peeling issues, use 180 grit on a DA sander, make sure there are NO shinny spots on the old primer when done, use an Etching Primer then build up with a 2 part epoxy primer. Block sand and paint.
            "most likely" the factory primer is an enamel base product. We use to ust use that as an etching primer long before etching primer came on the scene, as it will pretty much stick to anything.

YES use one system from the etching primer through the top coat!!

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Clean...Dry...Dull. You can't beat bare metal when starting a paint project!

That simply cuts through all the "time saving short cuts".
              sigpic

Comment

I am a member of the strip to to bare metal club. You never know what is on replacement sheet metal. If it is lacquer, you don't want to leave that under you new paint.

I am not a pro painter, but I have painted about 20 cars. I have started with etch primer on bare metal and epoxy on sanded/blasted bare metal. Never had a problem with either. My personal preference is sandblast the paint/primer off a part and start with 2 coats of epoxy and then a couple coats of high build urethane. Then I start block sanding.

Wayne
                Wayne
                "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Wayne, I do the same thing. 2 coats of epoxy and then a couple coats of hight build urethane.

Comment

Working...
                  X