Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We used to call 'em 'doodlebugs'

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Why would anybody want that thing? Maybe for parts?
    Fred

sigpic

Comment

Good start for a rod project? Frame and firewall -north sheet metal, doubt many would complain like they would for a complete car.

Comment

Around here, homemade trucks like that were most often made from "A" models and called "Peach-flats" used in the peach orchards. There are still quite a few around that are used in parades. I couldn't tell from the pictures, but wonder if this one has the '38 cathedral lights or pod lights. Either way, it could be a fun machine to campaign as a "period survivor."

As far back as the early '50's I recall any small car like the Crosley's being called "Doodle-bug's" but not the "Peach-Flat" type trucks.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Must be a north east thing, we call 'em doodle bugs up here. Some are quite well done, with 2 trannies back to back for gear reduction, winches made from old rear ends, and so on. There's a group of guys around here who collect and show them at the antique farm engine shows.
          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

As my Dad told me, (I'm too young to know first hand) many cars were converted to "trucks" during WWII because gas rations were higher for trucks during the war.
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
            X