PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a Studebaker out and about this year!

Milaca
04-07-2011, 09:28 PM
The roads show no evidence of road salt anymore and temperatures reached into the 60's F for the first time this season in central Minnesota, so I took my latest project out for a spin (and I brought my camera with). I may drive it to work tomorrow, which would be the farthest I have ever driven it. Eventually I hope to resell it, but until then, I will enjoy it!

candbstudebakers
04-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Just go ahead and take it for a spin around the lake in your spare time...

Skinnys Garage
04-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Doesn't look like road salt is your problem - it's getting to the road!:eek:

Started driving my Lark about a week ago too, Spring has sprung!:cool:

Kurt
04-08-2011, 06:39 AM
neat to see you had your car out. I have not yet, but itching to.

Spring came early for me this year, and because of that I have been busy at work.

Flashback
04-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I can't imagine having to "not drive" for
part of the year, because of weather. Kudo's to those of you who live in areas
of the country, where weather is this bad, and you STILL maintain your hobby.

warrlaw1
04-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Way to go! The weather this week-end is supposed to be warm. Enjoy!

jclary
04-08-2011, 08:39 AM
So...tell us more about that GT. Full dash? Four speed? Red interior? To me, the GT's are not just good-looking, but dignified and elegant are adjectives that fit as well. Wish I still had mine.

Milaca
04-08-2011, 01:28 PM
So...tell us more about that GT. Full dash? Four speed? Red interior? To me, the GT's are not just good-looking, but dignified and elegant are adjectives that fit as well. Wish I still had mine.

Hi John, it is a 1962 with an automatic, twin traction, power brakes and air conditioning (might be aftermarket). It does not have a clock or a tachometer. Previous owner had Phantom Upholstery black & white seat covers installed and had the 289 engine rebuilt. I will be installing a new carpet soon (I'm considering blue carpet) and rebuilding the door panels & kick panels and repairing some rust in the trunk floor with new steel. A few other odds & ends and then I will attempt to sell it....I hope the market for these picks up soon! :)

jclary
04-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi John, it is a 1962 with an automatic, twin traction, power brakes and air conditioning (might be aftermarket). It does not have a clock or a tachometer. Previous owner had Phantom Upholstery black & white seat covers installed and had the 289 engine rebuilt. I will be installing a new carpet soon (I'm considering blue carpet) and rebuilding the door panels & kick panels and repairing some rust in the trunk floor with new steel. A few other odds & ends and then I will attempt to sell it....I hope the market for these picks up soon! :)

Your mentioning of carpet reminds me of something I have been meaning to ask and keep forgetting. For many years, Studebaker, Ford and some other makes, used Loop Pile Carpet in their cars. I have always hated it. It looks good new, but picks something awful. What do you folks think of loop pile carpet? Is there an alternative that looks similar but without the true loops that want to snag on the first shoe nail they encounter?

If this wrecks your thread, I will delete this post and we can start another one dedicated to this subject.

Milaca
04-08-2011, 02:55 PM
I dislike loop carpet and will never use it. When I installed new carpet in my '63 Hawk, I used cut pile carpet like that used on the door and kick panels. I will be using cut pile in this car too.