Clear All

• Need help identifying my trim

Click image for larger version

Name:	commander.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1733261
    Hello-

This is my 1955 Studebaker Commander, body style 16G8F2, a Commander Custom 2 door sedan. The Commander Custom was a standard model with no trim from the factory. It has the 259 V8 and 3 speed transmission with overdrive. Here is some history of the car based upon the production order.
    The car was assembled in Vernon, California, and its destination was Marks Motors in Portland, Oregon. I found that in the February 1994 edition of Turning Wheels, only 1413 of the custom 2 door sedans (16G8F1 and 16G8F2) models were built for the entire 1955 model year.

Here is the breakdown- of the production figures from Turning Wheels.

Total = 1,413

Here is the information from the production orderI talked to Andrew Beckman, who is the Archivist at the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana.
    I was curious about the production date, trim and how close it was to the end of the 55 model year, as well as the other information on the production order.

You may want to see this!

It has been established that it is a bare 16G8-F2 '55 Commander Custom 2 dr. Sedan with no trim, with the '54 style deep stainless body side mouldings added at the dealer or aftermarket and the rear fender seams much later welded up.

The "Trim Code" should be the upholstery color and material. The "2" in F2 controls the level of exterior trim, also interior style, but not color and material choice.
    Last edited by (S); 04-06-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the link-

That is my car

Comment

Working...
      X