Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The National Museum told me my car was built in Canada, but. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The National Museum told me my car was built in Canada, but. . .

The other day I got a call from the Studebaker National Museum--they were refunding my build sheet order because, she said, my car was built in Canada and they had incomplete records. I thanked them for their efforts and was really disappointed--not because it was built in Canada but because I wasn't going to get the original build sheet.

Tonight I was reading through the specifications chapter in John Bridges' Studebaker's Finest when I discovered something--according to my body serial number (and my engine number) my car WAS built at the Los Angeles plant.

My body serial number falls within the Los Angeles range that starts with G-917,701 and ends at G-927,400. My engine serial number is also a US plant serial number.

I'll run this past all the guru's here on the Studebaker Driver's Club forums, but I'm wondering if the records at the Studebaker National Museum have lapses with the Los Angeles cars as well as the Canadian models? Does anyone know? Is this a mistake in the Bridges book?
    Last edited by dnevin; 04-05-2011, 09:15 PM.
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Hi Dave:
    According to my "Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975", you are correct; your serial number falls into the range for a Los Angeles 1953 Champion.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Thanks Howard. I'm going to take it, then, that one person at the museum scribbled a note that said my car was built in "CA" and the person that called me mistook that for Canada instead of California. This make so much more sense, as the car was originally a San Diego car and was titled using the engine serial number as the VIN (which is still in the car) and that number is also a US number. So Los Angeles it is.

Have people had the same experience with other California built cars?
      Dave Nevin
      Corvallis, OR
      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I am certain if you resubmit your request to the museum they will provide you with the p.o. Yes, they do have all of the L.A. production orders.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Easy mistake to make. I live in Ontario and there's one of those in California,too. Arnold would be a much better govenor than the lying wimp we have as a provincial premmier
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by dnevin View Post
            The other day I got a call from the Studebaker National Museum--they were refunding my build sheet order because, she said, my car was built in Canada and they had incomplete records. I thanked them for their efforts and was really disappointed--not because it was built in Canada but because I wasn't going to get the original build sheet.

Tonight I was reading through the specifications chapter in John Bridges' Studebaker's Finest when I discovered something--according to my body serial number (and my engine number) my car WAS built at the Los Angeles plant.

My body serial number falls within the Los Angeles range that starts with G-917,701 and ends at G-927,400. My engine serial number is also a US plant serial number.

I'll run this past all the guru's here on the Studebaker Driver's Club forums, but I'm wondering if the records at the Studebaker National Museum have lapses with the Los Angeles cars as well as the Canadian models? Does anyone know? Is this a mistake in the Bridges book?
            I got a production order for my California-built 53. However, that was back when Newman-Altman was doing them. Since the person doing it thought it was Canada, I'd try again armed with California being the assembky plant.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My '65 Cruiser was obviously built in Canada, but the museum told me that they had no record of it on file. Evidently some of the Canadian build orders have been lost over the years.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                Arnold would be a much better govenor than the lying wimp we have as a provincial premmier
                He's available now. Good Riddance.....
                Jon Stalnaker
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Dave:
                  That book "Standard Catalog of American Cars" is a REALLY handy book to have. It has engine numbers as well as serial numbers (VINS) and production numbers too. Also drivetrain options and accessories.
                  Last edited by brngarage; 04-06-2011, 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling
                  Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                  '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                  '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                  '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                    I am certain if you resubmit your request to the museum they will provide you with the p.o. Yes, they do have all of the L.A. production orders.
                    Thanks Richard--I was thinking of giving them a call and discussing it with them on the phone to see if they can search for it again.
                    Dave Nevin
                    Corvallis, OR
                    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                      Dave:
                      That book "Standard Catalog of American Cars" is a REALLY handy book to have. It has engine numbers as well as serial numbers (VINS) and production numbers too. Also drivetrain options and accessories.
                      Just ordered--got a used copy cheap.

Thanks for the tip.
                      Dave Nevin
                      Corvallis, OR
                      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Thanks all. I'll give a call to the museum and let you know what I find out.

Dave
                        Dave Nevin
                        Corvallis, OR
                        Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
                        X