PDA

View Full Version : More Marshal dig out

Flashback
04-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Here's a little better shot of the Marshal. Maybe yall can share a little more info.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/Ratliffprattville037.jpg

klifton1
04-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Looks like it has a JT engine.
Klif

8E45E
04-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Here's a little better shot of the Marshal. Maybe yall can share a little more info.

That car is rare and is a keeper! There have been a number of threads on those 20 special Marshals. First order of business is to purchase a copy of the Production Order for it from SMN.

Craig

BobPalma
04-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Yep, Tex; it's a real one. Quite a find.

Can you determine if it was ever put in service as a police car? 'Looks like a little disturbance in the middle of the door where a graphic might have been placed at one time.

Keep us posted; this is exciting stuff as those were well-equipped sedans for good handling and such.

Congratulations on the find. BP

studebaker-R2-4-me
04-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Great find. Good luck digging out the car and taking ownership of it. Very Cool.

Allen

Flashback
04-05-2011, 12:17 PM
The "taking ownership" part is not a done deal yet. I have been 3 years getting this far.

Mark57
04-05-2011, 03:14 PM
And hopefully one day in the not too distant future, you'll have her lookin' like this:

ROADRACELARK
04-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Tex, As others have said, that's a keeper, is absolutely right on the money. Alabama has been noted in the past for "taking the lead" as far as police pursuit vehicles go. IIRC back in the early 70's, the State Patrol had a handful of American Motors AMX's set up and equiped for high speed duty, including a roll bar. Looks to me they may have used some Studes even early on. The production order will certainly varify that fact. Good luck on the "acquisition".

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA

barnlark
04-05-2011, 04:57 PM
See if he has one of the missing Pace Cars, too. ;)

studefan
04-05-2011, 05:54 PM
That's a disk brake wheel up front too.

Jessie J.
04-05-2011, 06:02 PM
That one is just singing 'Rescue Me!'

mausersmth
04-05-2011, 06:04 PM
A worthy project! Keep us posted!

oltrknut
04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
I have a marshall, also a jet thrust engine, it was another persons dream, he is no longer with us and I would like to find a new home for it. e-mail me if interested , Allen

Mark57
04-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I have a marshall, also a jet thrust engine, it was another persons dream, he is no longer with us and I would like to find a new home for it. e-mail me if interested , Allen

Allen - Do you have any pics you can post? :confused:

1962larksedan
01-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Any updates on those Marshalls?

Lou Van Anne
01-07-2012, 10:27 PM
The Phoenix Police Department had at least one. I'd seen it may times parked outside Jay's Coffee Shop, South Plaza Shopping Center, South Central @ Southern next to the Baskin-Robbins 31 Flavors that my family owned and I work in. They also had 61s and 62s...(lots of 62s).

1962larksedan
01-07-2012, 10:31 PM
The Phoenix Police Department had at least one. I'd seen it may times parked outside Jay's Coffee Shop, South Plaza Shopping Center, South Central @ Southern next to the Baskin-Robbins 31 Flavors that my family owned and I work in. They also had 61s and 62s...(lots of 62s).

I know of a 1961 Lark 4 door 259 3spd/OD car for sale in Phx on CraigsList, I almost bought it. It may be an x PPD vehicle since its paint color (off white) appears to be identical to the street patrol units of that era. My 1962 Lark was (probably) sold new in Phx as well but it's definitely NOT a Marshall.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/Jim8413/5625

studegary
01-08-2012, 12:41 PM
I remember when the City of Beacon, NY had Lark police cars.

relbmar16
01-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Tex, As others have said, that's a keeper, is absolutely right on the money. Alabama has been noted in the past for "taking the lead" as far as police pursuit vehicles go. IIRC back in the early 70's, the State Patrol had a handful of American Motors AMX's set up and equiped for high speed duty, including a roll bar. Looks to me they may have used some Studes even early on. The production order will certainly varify that fact. Good luck on the "acquisition".

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA

This is definately the Studebaker Pursuit Marshal that was built for the Florida State Police.
64V-8640 was on Sales Order No. 50433. It was one of the 20 Sales Demonstrators built in September of 63. The Florida Car was according to the production order, White, with a Blue interior (with a roll bar and Avanti power). Why I’m certain that this is the Florida car is that if you look at the spot lite, it’s the type of Spot Lite that has a mirror on the back (more squarish) and it has a Amber lens. It was set to be delivered to Tallahasse (Which is very close to Alabama) to be demonstrated to the Florida State Police. So the color, options and location all make sense. Alabama didn't get a demonstrator from the 20 cars order, they weren’t Studebaker Users in previous years. These cars were all targeted to agencies that had had a history of using Studebakers as Cop Cars. I own the Dade County Car which never made it's way to Dade County. It's hard to say if this car ever was even demonstrated to Florida, they Shut Production down only a few weeks after completing these cars.

mike cenit
01-07-2013, 01:29 PM
relbmar 16, you are correct, on the 9/12/1963 specification deviation sheet which covered all 20 evaluation Marshalls, it lists for factory order 40565, the State of Florida unit, on item #25 it called for a Unity Model H20 spotlight to be installed on the car. the amber len was actually red. I have the State of Wisconsin unit (factory order 40549), which is a pretty rare R1, 3 speed, no overdrive. If the above car was the the Florida car it indeed may have left the factory painted white but with green cloth interior, and was on order 64V-7922. I think 64V-8640 was the NYC demo , and was painted green/white (and maybe black fenders).

As for mine, it did get into the hands of the WI State police to evaluate, and when South Bend closed, they dropped it off at Smart Motors in Madison, and the car finally ended up at Greenfield Motors in Milwaukee, who painted black, and finally sold it. I got it in 1988 and am the 4th owner.

Swifster
01-07-2013, 08:27 PM
OK, this thread started in April of 2011. What happened with this car?

14x7
01-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Yeah ,what happened to this car?

nwi-region-rat
01-07-2013, 10:32 PM
I have a retired police car too...some other brand than is discussed here....but I do have some vintage Motorola control heads and mikes....plus a complete 50's single channel radio....PM me if interested... Plus I have some Rollers (roof lights)

stude1964
01-08-2013, 08:52 AM
I almost bought a '64 Marshall out of a junkyard in Stroudsburg,PA. The guy was supposed to have it ready to tow after we struck a deal. I went back to drag it home & the car was still parkedin the same spot with trees growing between the valence & bumper.It was a full package car w/rollbar & zippered headliner,R-1,Auto,disc,etc. I heard it was rescued some years later by someone in PA.The car was silver or possibly Laguna Blue w/a blue bucket type front seat indent.Rob in PA.

relbmar16
01-08-2013, 08:53 AM
relbmar 16, you are correct, on the 9/12/1963 specification deviation sheet which covered all 20 evaluation Marshalls, it lists for factory order 40565, the State of Florida unit, on item #25 it called for a Unity Model H20 spotlight to be installed on the car. the amber len was actually red. I have the State of Wisconsin unit (factory order 40549), which is a pretty rare R1, 3 speed, no overdrive. If the above car was the the Florida car it indeed may have left the factory painted white but with green cloth interior, and was on order 64V-7922. I think 64V-8640 was the NYC demo , and was painted green/white (and maybe black fenders).

As for mine, it did get into the hands of the WI State police to evaluate, and when South Bend closed, they dropped it off at Smart Motors in Madison, and the car finally ended up at Greenfield Motors in Milwaukee, who painted black, and finally sold it. I got it in 1988 and am the 4th owner.

Hi Mike, Yeah, I think I gave the wrong VIN number for the State of Florida, 7922 is actually the Dade County Car in Florida and that's mine, I bought it in 1997 or 98. It has the only green interior which is cloth. The State of Florida Car has a blue interior. I found yesterday a spotlight on Ebay that looks just like the one in the picture, it's kinda funky looking since it's a squarish shape rather than round. It was the only one of that type used on any of the 20 cars. I'm 100% certain that this is indeed the State of Florida Car, 8255. My car ended up as a LoanerCar/Parts Runner vehicle at Victory Studebaker Mercedes Volvo in Savannah GA. I'm the fourth owner of it. FLorida is 8255....I typed too fast, you are correct, 8640 is NYC. Here's a picture of NYC in 1999.20126

The NYC car was sold off the floor of the NY Autoshow and had been painted all white. The original owner still owned it in 1999 and lived in Florida. I'm not certain what happened to that car in the last 15 years.

relbmar16
01-08-2013, 08:57 AM
I almost bought a '64 Marshall out of a junkyard in Stroudsburg,PA. The guy was supposed to have it ready to tow after we struck a deal. I went back to drag it home & the car was still parkedin the same spot with trees growing between the valence & bumper.It was a full package car w/rollbar & zippered headliner,R-1,Auto,disc,etc. I heard it was rescued some years later by someone in PA.The car was silver or possibly Laguna Blue w/a blue bucket type front seat indent.Rob in PA.

Yes, that car was kinda rescued. As I understand it, the guy that go it took the VIN Tags and Body Tags off the car and then scrapped it. I believe he still had the engine and roll bar too. In 1999, I was told that he was going to try to find a Commander and Make a Pursuit Marshal out of the Commander using the parts from the car, including the roll bar. He had approached me about buying my sheet metal from my car which I had replaced, (Dade County Car 7922) so that he could at least have sheetmetal that actually came off a Marshal. I had already struck a deal with some one else and sold the metal. I forget his name, he did give me a copy of the actual Window Sticker from the PA car. I have no idea what ever became of the project and the parts that remained from the car.

relbmar16
01-08-2013, 11:10 AM
During the Restoration Process of 64V 7922, we found the production order in the headliner and also a letter in the Glove Box Certifying the Calibration of the Speedo. In case anyone is interested, this is the letter

mike cenit
01-08-2013, 11:50 AM
I have the Unity installation sheet that has a picture the the squarish light, I'd be happy to send you a copy of. Unity Mfg is the company that made the spot lights, I think they may still be in business, the address I have for them is 1260 Clybourn Ave, Chicago, IL 60610-1794, Phone 312 943-5200. About 10 years I was going to get the cowl bracket on my Marshall replated, and by chance I called them, and they had them in stock or made it for me, real cheap, and they are great to deal with, they even sent me a mounting template for the 63 thru 66 Lark types. About 15 years ago after watching the French Connection or something, and being a former New Yorker I got the bug to do the car like in old NY Police colors, Green/White/Black, it didn't turn out so well, today the car is white, with a "V" black stripe on the hood, and has a 60's type red light on the roof. Interestingly the company I work for takes down old car factorys, and last year in SW Detroit we were taking down the old Chrysler McGraw glass plant, which was the old DeSoto plant, which was the old LaSalle plant, which was the old Saxton plant, which was down the street from a auto carrier shipping yard. One day coming back from somewhere I saw a truck load of Ford Crown Vic's painted ther old NYC colors Green/White/Black, at first I thought NYC was going back to the old colors, but it must have been for a movie or some promotion or something.

mike cenit
01-08-2013, 12:05 PM
I have the letter from Stewart-Warner also. What's strange is it's for S-W part number 530-DJ and the "Studebaker No. 1562926", I can't find anything for those numbers. The only thing on the deviation sheet is item 30 for unit 40552 (NYC), for a S-W #585 speedometer, which I think is the large dash mounted one. Maybe the letter we have is for the rest of the cars and the # 1562926 maybe be a Studebaker blanket order number.

8E45E
01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Here's a factrory photo of one of those cars: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?30446-From-the-Archives-19-(-64-Marshall)&highlight=marshal

Craig

62champ
01-08-2013, 04:30 PM

Yes, that car was kinda rescued. As I understand it, the guy that go it took the VIN Tags and Body Tags off the car and then scrapped it. I believe he still had the engine and roll bar too. In 1999, I was told that he was going to try to find a Commander and Make a Pursuit Marshal out of the Commander using the parts from the car, including the roll bar. He had approached me about buying my sheet metal from my car which I had replaced, (Dade County Car 7922) so that he could at least have sheetmetal that actually came off a Marshal. I had already struck a deal with some one else and sold the metal. I forget his name, he did give me a copy of the actual Window Sticker from the PA car. I have no idea what ever became of the project and the parts that remained from the car.

Holy Cow! Krocks is less than two miles from my current home. Building is now being used to sell/service lawn mowers and the like. Hard to believe such a rare car came out of such a small outlet.

relbmar16
01-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Here's a factrory photo of one of those cars: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?30446-From-the-Archives-19-(-64-Marshall)&highlight=marshal

Craig

Actually, it's not one of those cars, but three of those cars. The car in the forefront, white is 64V-7643. There's another picture of this same car and it's not sporting bumper guards which means it has to be the State of Nebraska car as all the other white cars had bumper guards. In the background on the left is 64V-7657 the State of Kentucky Car and on the right, 64V-7625 the Philadelphia Car. You can see the chalk markings on the rear left side windows which show the serial numbers if you use a magnifying glass. Now what is interesting about this is that despite what some sources say, that these cars were made over a 6 day period. This kind of proves they weren't. The production order show's the date the cars are listed as finished but I believe these are the dates they were scheduled to be finished on the production line. The cars came off production and then went to the Engineering departments with out interiors. The interiors were finished and other features added as well. But they didn't follow the same order of production. 7625 shows a 9/23/63 production date finish but it's not, you can see from the photos that it doesn't have the roll bar (and most likely seats) installed yet. But the white car, a later production model actually is finished. I don't think the cars went in the same order in Engineering as in Production. In essence the dates aren't really when the cars were finished, they were finished when they left the line for Engineering.

relbmar16
01-08-2013, 06:21 PM
I have the letter from Stewart-Warner also. What's strange is it's for S-W part number 530-DJ and the "Studebaker No. 1562926", I can't find anything for those numbers. The only thing on the deviation sheet is item 30 for unit 40552 (NYC), for a S-W #585 speedometer, which I think is the large dash mounted one. Maybe the letter we have is for the rest of the cars and the # 1562926 maybe be a Studebaker blanket order number.

I'm looking at my original production order, from the factory, not a reprint and all it says is "265 Accurate Speedometer Certificate of Accuracy". I've replaced all the sheet metal on my car except the roof and cowl and kept it the original Astra White. I have magnetic South Bend Shield and then I put the two lolly pop lights and one Federal Signal Bubble Gum Light. Mine didn't have a spot light....I had worked with Unity and had everything for the car but decided since my car didn't come that way from the factory, I wouldn't change it. Mine is original except for the roof top lighting and I didn't like the looks of the front bumper guards so I removed them. They could always be added if I wanted. Of course, now i can't find my letter on the speedometer so I can't see the part number......to compare it to yours

relbmar16
01-08-2013, 06:23 PM
k, found it, yep, same part no. on my certificate too.

relbmar16
01-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Holy Cow! Krocks is less than two miles from my current home. Building is now being used to sell/service lawn mowers and the like. Hard to believe such a rare car came out of such a small outlet.

I think it must have been pretty much a free for all and different based on each zone office. I know 7450 (Maine State PD) ended up at the zone office in Massachusetts and then sold to Dupont Motors in Lawrence MA. They were called by the zone to see if they wanted the car. Krock was probably the same thing. They wanted to unload these cars I'm sure as they were all demos and had mileage and also weren't ever going to be produced again. My car, 7922 ended up in Savannah GA. at Victory Motors, I have the sales invoice which is from March of 1966. it was a two year old car before it ever ended up in private hands.

mike cenit
01-08-2013, 07:02 PM
wow, good job spoting those numbers, your right about the cars leaving engineering at different times. All 20 of these cars were a little different to meet state or city specs, and engineering had to add some of the different special equipment. For example order 40548 (CA) was spec'd with a Fram P-1651-PL transmission oil line filter, which was installed by engineering. Also engineering had to supply all the pieces and patterns for all 20 bolster seats. Also all the cars had bits and pieces from different vendors, for example some had Motorola, some Delco Remy, some Prestolite, and others Leece-Neville alternators, some different fan belts, different regulators, so it's possable that some of these cars sat arround waiting parts.

StudeRich
01-08-2013, 07:56 PM
This window sticker is really amazing, showing how far Studebaker would go to build a "Purpose Built" Heavy Duty Sedan!
All those special options incl. a twist operated hand throttle AND a LOCKING twist operated hand throttle!
And it says Pg. 1 of 2, holy smoke there is more special Engineering requirements or options.

These were Soooo much better than a standard Chev. or Ford Sedan with more durable less plush seats, no trim, black tires, and bottle cap Hub caps. :(

Swifster
01-08-2013, 11:08 PM
But are the whereabouts of that white car known. Has this car been rescued? Anyone know?

Bill Pressler
01-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Very interesting thread on the Marshals. On the subject of 'certified speedometers', a fellow I know who was the Service Manager of Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA, ordered new '64 Cruiser serial 64V-14402, black, red cloth buckets, complete R2 Super package (one of only 2 R2 Cruisers with the whole 'package' per the TW article on '64 Avanti-powered Studes back in the '80's), no power steering, and certified speedometer. The production order says "Accurate Speedometer" as an option! LOL

mike cenit
01-09-2013, 05:19 AM
It is strange, factory order item # 264 calls for "accurate police-calibrated", cost $4.30 (suggested),
then it lists "Police-Stewart Warner #585, black face-2 mile increments" or "Police-Stewart Warner
#S-585Y, white face-1 mile increments" cost $41.43 (suggested). All 3 listed under same factory item
# 264. Good thing they didn't sell a lot of them.

relbmar16
01-09-2013, 07:15 AM
This window sticker is really amazing, showing how far Studebaker would go to build a "Purpose Built" Heavy Duty Sedan!
All those special options incl. a twist operated hand throttle AND a LOCKING twist operated hand throttle!
And it says Pg. 1 of 2, holy smoke there is more special Engineering requirements or options.

These were Soooo much better than a standard Chev. or Ford Sedan with more durable less plush seats, no trim, black tires, and bottle cap Hub caps. :(

Yes, each car was quite different and had production orders two pages long. I neglected to post the second page, here it is.....also note on the first page at the very top, it says "Car used in Company Service, prices for new car". I'm sure the "company service" means the Demo Program for the police.20147 Also, here's a picture of the special front seats that were put into each car, some cloth and some vinyl. 20148

relbmar16
01-09-2013, 07:21 AM

I neglected to post the second page, here it is......and also, on page one at the top it says "Car used in Company Service prices for new car" so the Service I take it is the Sales Demonstration Program for the Police Cars. Over the years I've seen much incorrect information, like for example that these cars were leased to police departments for one buck. I can't find any evidence of that. Here is also a photo of what the actual vinyl seat looked like once installed in engineering.2014920150

8E45E
01-09-2013, 07:56 AM
I neglected to post the second page, here it is......and also, on page one at the top it says "Car used in Company Service prices for new car" so the Service I take it is the Sales Demonstration Program for the Police Cars. Over the years I've seen much incorrect information, like for example that these cars were leased to police departments for one buck. I can't find any evidence of that. Here is also a photo of what the actual vinyl seat looked like once installed in engineering.2014920150

I would suspect it was Sherwood Egbert's idea to have these cars made as per #8: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?55529-The-Lamberti-papers-26-(July-1-1963)&highlight=LAMBERTI

Craig

relbmar16
01-10-2013, 01:16 PM
20167Here are some interior seating photos....Kentucky Car and Kansas Car and the Maine car which is incorrect (Vinyl with horizontal pleating).

relbmar16
01-10-2013, 01:27 PM
WOW, what a great read! I had no idea that this concept or Idea came right from Mr. Egbert himself!!! It also looks like he was really pushing his people to get things done.....such a shame that he was cut short due to medical reasons.