new windlace-bad install 64cruiser need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new windlace-bad install 64cruiser need help

hello---we had new windlace put in when the headliner was done, on our 64 cruiser. the upholstery shop said windlace needed to be done at same time as headliner, so we went along with their urging.
    but the job they did left alot to be desired. we are going to take the car back to them and implore them to make right, but before that i want to gain insights from you folks:
    the windlace is not held in tightly. is the trough that its edge sits in too wide? is there some method of holding it in place that should be employed? in our case everywhere that it can get loose and sag, it does.
    it works its way out even though it is brand new. nothing is holding it in, or holding it up?
    what would a top-of-the line spare-no-expense upholsterer do? what should we ask our shop to do?
    is there some genius maneuver that only the cognoscenti are aware of?
    many many thanks, in advance

tb/gc 64 cruiser.....san francisco

Yes they definitely did do it wrong. A Studebaker windlace MUST have a wide strip of material added to the standard hem already there, and a small seat material "Piping" strip is what holds it tightly in the grip strips.

Since they said you have to do both Headliner and Windlace at the same time, they have admitted that the only correct way to fix it, is to do BOTH over!

Comment

He probably used "off the shelf" windlace from a chevy or other similar car. Studebaker windlace has a much wider tab on the edge so it tucks into the tabs in the edgeing. He will have to sew a tab onto regular windlace to make it 1 1/2" wide to be able to be properly installed. Right now it isn't held in by the tabs, and probably glued in instead of the proper tabs holding it in place.
      Also, original had zig-zag wire sewn in the edge to hold shape better.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

thanks for enlightening us, really appreciate it. i think we may try to obtain the Real Thing (correct studebaker windlace) and just have it done over the right way.
        please inform me where to get the correct stuff...and if anyone knows the best upholstery shop in the bay area or sacramento area, let us know.
        thanks
        TB/gc

Comment

Try SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon they seem to have most things and are likely aware of the need for the extra fabric to attach Studebaker Windlace. In any case it costs nothing to inquire.

Even if they request a sample I'm sure one of the forum members would be able to come up with one, we seem able to help with most things.

Suppliers of quality classic auto interiors since 1977. The largest inventory of Auto Upholstery Cloth, Vinyl, Headliners, Carpets, Vinyl Tops, & Door Panels.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Studebaker International offers windlace in eight different colors. I will be having my interior done as well. I have been told of a good shop here in Alameda. I would be happy to stay in touch and let you know how that goes.
            Originally posted by tedbrinkley View Post
            thanks for enlightening us, really appreciate it. i think we may try to obtain the Real Thing (correct studebaker windlace) and just have it done over the right way.
            please inform me where to get the correct stuff...and if anyone knows the best upholstery shop in the bay area or sacramento area, let us know.
            thanks
            TB/gc

Comment

Working...
            X