From the Archives #76 If you like the '39 Champions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Archives #76 If you like the '39 Champions

I count 14 new 1939 Champions in front of the Administration Building. Note nearly sequential plate numbers. All those that are visible are Coupes and all appear to be Deluxe models (with the phantom steering wheel and stainless rocker panel mouldings). The men dressed in suits leads me to believe they are salesmen and this was probably a fleet order for a corporation.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

The salesmen look as sharp as the new Studebakers. What is the temperature on that famous thermometer?

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Thats weird :: Theres a " Henry J " in the showroom window . . . . . . . . ..

Comment

I didn't know that they actually put a new car inside the Administration Building. Wonder if that new '39 Commander/President exists today?

BTW, Which one of those Champ coupes is the one you own now?

Comment

......but Santa I only want one and it really doesn't matter which one either............I promise I've been a good boy......
          Last edited by JRoberts; 04-01-2011, 06:13 PM.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I havent figgered out what car is in the window, but it's NOT a Henry J.
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
              A new '39 Studebaker, of course. Commander or President.

Comment

Matthew is correct. Not sure where the Henry J comes from!? My '39 coupe front row far right. I added the bumper guards to mine.
                Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                  http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1301701819

I count 14 new 1939 Champions in front of the Administration Building. Note nearly sequential plate numbers.
                  Actually, Dick; the visible plate numbers are all within a range of 14 digits, so it could well be that the group of 14 cars really had consecutive plates, but their arrangement is such that they are out of order and we cannot see all 14 plates to confirm the sequence. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wow! What a bunch of handsome cars. Matt, you're right. That's not a Henry J (not period correct anyway), but my father's '39 Commander. (just kidding)
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Was not content to let this question lie unanswered. Above the article from the April 14, 1939 issue of the Studebaker News dealer newspaper. Another caption identifies all of the men and their respective territories.
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

Matthew is correct. Not sure where the Henry J comes from!? My '39 coupe front row far right. I added the bumper guards to mine.
                        OK :: I`m gonna ask , What makes you think that says 58* ? !

Comment

It's a Lincoln Zephyr.... no, wait! It's a Willys! <GG>
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                            OK :: I`m gonna ask , What makes you think that says 58* ? !
                            I took the picture April 2, 1939. I checked it.
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

I took the picture April 2, 1939. I checked it.
                              I didn't realize you were that old. There can't be many other guys out there with a '39 Coupe Express, or '41 President that they purchased new!

Comment

Working...
                              X