Hawk Tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Tach

Were there more than one used during the production years 1956-61??
    Does anyone have one that they might be interested in selling?
    I am looking for one for Sandi's Restoration Project.
    Thanks
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Was this just a dumb question or what?
    I asked it because I was looking at a tach on ebay that said it was for a Hawk. But it was a 8,000 RPM tach, and I thougth that they only went to 6,000 RPM's??
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
      Was this just a dumb question or what?
      I asked it because I was looking at a tach on ebay that said it was for a Hawk. But it was a 8,000 RPM tach, and I thougth that they only went to 6,000 RPM's??
      Brian
      That may have been the one I was selling, It is a 6 volt (or at least says 6v on the back) and I figured it was for a Stude. I also have a 6k tach with no glass and a bad cable.
      Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
      Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
      Lizella, GA

Comment

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
        That may have been the one I was selling, It is a 6 volt (or at least says 6v on the back) and I figured it was for a Stude. I also have a 6k tach with no glass and a bad cable.
        if it's 6V and 8K it might be for a Speedster. 56-61 all used the same tach which was 6K and 12V. All were Stewart-Warner "Pulse Drive" tachs.

nate
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Might not have been for a Stude at all. Stewart-Warner was the largest supplier of gauges to the OEM and the aftermarket. Their gauges were used in many boats, race cars and hot rods also.

I've got two or three of the 6V pulse drive tachs if anyone is interested.

Woody, early S-W tach used in the Hawk was very heavy, very deep into the dash, required a sender and cable which is hard to find and not particularly accurate anyway. The question you didn't ask, but might be interested to learn is the face and needle from the early tach can be swapped onto a later, more accurate design which does not need a sending unit.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack
            I have seen one like that on eBay and was worried aboutt he sender.
            I will look for the later 12V 6K tach for Sandi's car.
            And yes Alex it was yours I was looking at....a bit rough for our project, but it has now helped clarify which one I really need.
            Good Roads
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Jack,

Not to take the topic off course but I have a related question that I would like to ask of you.
              I have '63 GT Hawk and it didn't have a Tach. I have a used tach for it, but nothing else.
              I was wondering if I could use a later electronic tach and change the face plate and needle to fit this particular car?
              I guess the simpiler question would be can it be done with all Hawk tachs?

Many Thanks,
              George King
              Grants Pass, Oregon
              64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Yes, most of the S-W tachs used the same diameter case and faceplate.

I've got a no-longer-working '63 GT tach and sender. Not certain which failed. If you need the tach to use the face, let me know.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack,
                  I have a tach, just not the rest of the stuff to connect it.
                  This is a driver and I am not interested in it being correct, just want to make it look "correct" and work.
                  Thanks again,
                  George King
                  Grants Pass, Oregon
                  64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                    Might not have been for a Stude at all. Stewart-Warner was the largest supplier of gauges to the OEM and the aftermarket. Their gauges were used in many boats, race cars and hot rods also.

I've got two or three of the 6V pulse drive tachs if anyone is interested.

Woody, early S-W tach used in the Hawk was very heavy, very deep into the dash, required a sender and cable which is hard to find and not particularly accurate anyway. The question you didn't ask, but might be interested to learn is the face and needle from the early tach can be swapped onto a later, more accurate design which does not need a sending unit.

jack vines
                    The 58 PH I am working on is missing the tach sending unit. Are you saying that if I switch over to a modern Stewart Warner tach ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SWW-82162B/ ) that I can switch the face out? Just want to make sure before ordereing it----
                    64 Champ long bed V8
                    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Yes. I've done a couple successfully. Your results may vary, depending upon hand-eye coordination, watchmaking talent and other factors.

FWIW, the last modern S-W tach I had was so close to OEM, the owner decided to use it as is and most SDC members at shows never notice the difference.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                      X