Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'M Here

Hi All..
    Some of you may remember that I picked up my new (To Me) Avanti from Jim Maxey in South Bend on Friday to drive back to Denver via Detroit (Where I had some family stuff to attend to).
    Well.. I drove 1673 miles (but the speedo is optimistic) Burned 120.2 Gallons of high priced premium.. That worked out to 13.9 MPG (but an optimistic speedo) used 1 Quart of oil, Used one water Pump (more on that in a bit) and one gas cap.. Had a DUH moment in Iowa and left it on the pump.. Discovered it about 150 miles later when I stopped for gas again..
    Back to the water pump.. Well I was in western Michigan a short time after I left Detroit when I began hearing a terrible noise.. Couldn't identify it.. And it seemed to come and go.. Well I stopped for fuel and looked around and all seemed to be OK.. Got back on 94 and a short time later it started again. Then whoosh steam came out of the back of the car.. I pulled off of the freeway and opened the hood to massive steam.. I started looking around and thought well maybe a hose had gone.. I had some extra anti Freeze with me (Just in case) and pored it in.. Saw it pouring out the bottom.. Saw it was coming from the water pump.. Grabbed the fan blade and MAN it was ready to come off.. The bearing must have just disintegrated.. Fortunately the next exit for a real small town was just a mile or so away so I crawled off there.. And, right nearby I saw a NAPA repair shop.. Stopped but the nice lady said.. There is no way we can get to you till maybe late today at the earliest.. We are jammed.. I asked her if there was another shop in town and she said there was it had just opened and a great young mechanic (compared to me) ran it.. I borrowed a bucker of water filled it again and crept to that shop about a mile or so away..
    I drove up in front with the pump really squalling and the mechanic came out from inside.. He said "What the hell is making all the noise".. I said it was the water pump and wondered if he could get me in to replace it.. He said he could but wasn't sure where to get a water pump for that Studebaker that was older than he was! I said.. I just happen to have one! In all his wisdom Jim Maxey made me buy one "just in case" as that was one of the things that could lay me up along the highway without the part not being available..
    The mechanic plled me right in and in about an hour had the pump changed car filled with fresh anti freeze and me ready to go.. I gladly paid the $65 bill and was ready to shove off but he insisted on taking pictures of the car the engine compartment and all.. He said he couldn't believe that he had a chance to work on one!
    The rest of the trip went without incident except for a BUNCH of gas stops..
    I guess I had forgotten how badly Carbureted cars act at altitude.. I have VERY low power.. won't hardly idle.. you guy's know what I am talking about.. Got to get rods and maybe jets to address this stuff..
    Does anyone know if there is a smaller supercharger pulley available to help compensate for the altitude as well?
    Really am Glad I had the adventure of the trip home even with the little drama.. I had high signs.. thumbs up and people approach me on the many gas stops I has to comment on and admire the car.. A really great trip..
    But, I am glad to be home and able to sleep in my own bed!
    Ron Husak
    63 R2
    Ron Husak
    Conifer, CO
    Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
    63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Wow Thanks for the adventure sounds like you had a great time. Enjoy your ride.
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Welcome home! Can't wait to see it! The weather is supposed to be nice on Saturday. There should be an unofficial Golden Super Cruise! I am hoping to have my bumper back together so we can go. If you want to go, let me know!
      Carey
      Packard Hawk

Comment

Sure glad Ron made it home ok. I told him when he passed Ogallala Ne. that he was on his own as I wasen't going to bring the trailer to get him. Ron is a great person and enjoyed helping him. Jim

Comment

I am glad that you are back home and appreciate your post about the trip.

It is encouraging that a young mechanic/shop owner was glad to work on a Studebaker.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary..
            I was glad he would worko it as well.. I had no tools and wanted to get back on the road.. As you prbably know, the water pump is a pretty straight forward job even with a super charger..
            Ron

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            I am glad that you are back home and appreciate your post about the trip.

It is encouraging that a young mechanic/shop owner was glad to work on a Studebaker.
            Ron Husak
            Conifer, CO
            Living at 9200 feet and lovin it!
            63 avanti R2 63R-2648

Comment

Working...
            X