new here and got my first baker ~pix of progress~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new here and got my first baker ~pix of progress~

Hello, I am new here and bought a basket case,lol it is a 60 lark 8 2 door. I got it for a good price from family.it need alot of work like I said.my plan for it was/is to go different than everyone else. so I bought it.my plan is to go sbc twin turbo making around 750-1000 hp with good street maners.the motor and trans are intact and for sale if anyone is interested for 300.everything is there except the w/p,and carb.it moves freely and like I said I have no intrest in it.anyways I will be looking for parts also so if you have any you have around for a 60 lark plz hollar at me.I dont know my way around this site very well yet so I am putting everything here. if I am out of line with anything I said here plz let me know.so again HELLO my name is Danny but everyone calls me soda <---long story lol
    Last edited by mookandairin; 08-23-2011, 05:00 AM.

Welcome and congradulations. Keep us posted on your progress. Best of luck.

Comment

Welcome, soda!
      Many members of SDC enjoy custom and modified Studes. We even have judging classes for them at our meets.
      Lots of parts available for that '60 Lark. The monthly magazine TURNING WHEELS will hook you up with all the vendors and services you may need. It even has a regular column featuring the custom/modified examples.

Many on this Forum have already boldly gone where you are going. Post your photos and questions here and keep us updated on your progress.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

And I'll add, you can get ANYTHING for ANY AREA of the car you may need. ANYTHING. Just let us know and we'll steer you in the right direction. Have fun!
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Welcome Danny
          Now you have to learn how to post picture here on the forum so we can follow your progress.
          Look at the notes from the Administrator when you log on to the General Discussion.
          Good Roads
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Sounds cool!!!!! Keep us posted on your progress
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Danny

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project.

I own a couple on SBC powered Studes as shown in my signature but mine are under 400HP. A couple of thoughts though. To put that much power to a 50 year old frame that was a bit flimsy even in it's day is not trivial, so let me recommend you also join the forum at Racingstudebakers.com. Those guys are more in tune with your needs although a lot of them post here.

And keep us informed with pictures and posts.

Bob

Comment

thanks for the warm welcome and great advice on where to get things I need and th places to got them you guys rock! what I am kind of looking for are some sbc conversion mounts and poss. I x-member for a th-350-400 or a glide if that is possible anyone know where to get some?I am looking for simple conversion mounts,I am a welder so I can weld anything so that wont be a problem if need be and also I want to convert the drum breaks in front to disc is there a diy way or do I got to buy a kit? seeing how I am doing it all myself I am open to whatever but would like to have a hans on approach
                Last edited by mookandairin; 03-25-2011, 04:26 PM.

Comment

'65-'66 Lark types used the McKinnon 283. Will take some parts configuration but, with the proper parts, should be doable without cutting and welding. Have no experience with it myself but others here do.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Disk brake conversion is easy!
                    Turner Brake
                    will have what you need for the front, or all four wheels!

Comment

Hello, I am new here and bought a basket case, lol it is a 60 lark 8 2 door. I got it for a good price from family. it need alot of work like I said. my plan for it was/is to go different than everyone else
                      Different than everyone else...with yet another SBC? its been done to death, repeatedly, and most are never finished
                      Different I'd suggest, would be the twin turbos on the original engine.

Comment

Yeah, Jessie I was thinking the same thing. Then again, one is more comfortable with what they know than what they don't. Could be that Soda isn't familliar with Studebakers and doesn't know what they can do.

Soda, what kind of tranny did this engine come with? Is it the 259 or 289 engine? You can determine the engine size by the serial number located on your right-front of the engine. There is a machined pad where the number is stamped in. Does the engine run? Thanks for offering them here on the forum. Instead of just throwing the engine and tranny away as so many people do.

By the by, be prepared, Soda, for trouble with the exhaust hanging up on the steering. I've heard they do. Since you're a welder though, that shouldn't be much of an issue.
                        Last edited by studeclunker; 03-25-2011, 10:49 PM.
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

the engine I believe is a 259 it was not the ford 289. I tried to fig out the pix thing that would answer all your questions about the engine and tranny but I will be damned if I can fig it out lol I will try again after all my morning phone buisness that comes everyday lol. and thank you for the disc break conversion link that will be sweet. now how about them sbc motor mounts? if someone makes them it would make things simpler.either that or I got to find a universial mount and do the welding thing on the old girl as far as the motor and trans goes make am offer I need the room for teh build

Comment

the engine is a 259 not a 289. the motor does not run like I said before the carb,and w/p is gone and needs to be rebuilt. I need rthis thing out of my way for the build.I am trying to fig out the pix thing on here it seems every site is a little different.when I said I wanted to go different I was refering to my circle.everyone has a muscle car except my little vro running a pro stock pick up on the street. other than that you see alot of camero's gto's 55 chevs ect ect you get the pix. I dont know anything about stude's but if oyu have any q's about chev I am you man bbc or sbc I got my older bro car in the 8's with a 477 cid and with a little luck and a good tune in the 7's this yr with the new motor we built 585 cid on a fogger and a plate so I am thinking we will be in the 7.90's in the 1/4. I built the stude because friends were talking crap and it is a light weight shell to start with and I wanted to proove I can do it just for myself and have something different than the rest of my friends. how many cameros can you look at these days? there are a million of them and are still super HIGH dollar! screw that I want to be doing some 150-200 ft burnouts on 15 lbs of boost at the race car parties and go in the 10-9 sec range. I will be ok with the frame. I am going with a 4 link and a 12 pt cage to stiffen everything up with coil over shocks.

Comment

Engine mounts. Studebaker Canada used a 283 engine, the mounts for that will work for you. They may or may not be available NOS, if not, some of the vendors will have them.

Studebaker made their own 289, some are still running strong after 45 or 50 years without rebuild. Can Ford say that? If the stamped engine no. on the machined pad at the left front of the engine begins with a V its a 259 if it begins with a P it's a 289. You can't tell just by looking, they were the same casting with a different crank and piston rods. There are Studebaker engines turning 12 seconds yet. Google "Plain Brown Wrapper-Studebaker" for one

Comment

Working...
                              X