From the Archives #75 One for the truck lover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Archives #75 One for the truck lover

1937 at the Studebaker Proving Ground. The entrance gate is shown in the upper center (looking northwest). State Route 2 also in background.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Nice picture Richard....I'll take those 2 small ones along with that gas pump <g>
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

WOW !!!! Sure would love the Coupe Express, the woody, and a COT dressed up as a roll-back. Fabulous photo, thank you, sir. John

Comment

In case you would like a better view of the Coupe Express and woodie wagon. Both carried the same model designation, J5. 3500 were built but there is no breadown as to how many of each. Likely fewer than 50 of the woodie and there are no known survivors. Bodies were supplied by U.S. Body and Forging.
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

All I can say is : WOW!!

(and - you can't say Studebaker wasn't in the truck business!)
          Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
          61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
          Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
          Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Richard,
            You seem to have an unending supply of great photos. Many thanks.
            I'll take the Coupe Express or the woodie. I'm not asking for too much, am I?
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Love that photo.. Was there some sort of truck promotion going on that day?

I'll be really impressed if you dig out any '59 Scotsman pickup factory photos..

Comment

When attending cruise-ins and car shows, I always have a few people come up to me and say, "I did not know that Studebaker made trucks!"

Wouldn't it be nice to have a large re-print of this photo to whip out at that moment!

Thanks for posting Richard!
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Easy to tell which trucks were going to California!

Terry

Comment

That is a great photo; gee, that "woodie" looks sleek for the day.

A curiosity: Why would all those large rocks have been placed in front of the trucks? Weird. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      A curiosity: Why would all those large rocks have been placed in front of the trucks? Weird. BP
                      Given the flat land around there...I wouldn't know, but in the hills here in the south...they would probably be used as emergency brakes!

They are not flat enough for jack stands.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                        Love that photo.. Was there some sort of truck promotion going on that day?

I'll be really impressed if you dig out any '59 Scotsman pickup factory photos..
                        Page 12 of Dec. 1997 TW. (Also probably in Dec. 1988 TW that had the Fox feature article on them, but I don't have a copy handy.)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                          Likely fewer than 50 of the woodie and there are no known survivors.
                          I wonder why this is? Even in the day those vehicles were pretty expensive so surely someone took care of one and did not haul it off to the local scrap yard.

Simple matter of one being found in an old barn/garage somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                            Given the flat land around there...I wouldn't know<<<
                            Somewhat ironically, to this day Bosch uses the former Studebaker Proving Grounds to test and certify TRUCK BRAKES!!!
                            Invented for life: we want our products to spark enthusiasm, improve quality of life, and help conserve natural resources.

FWIW; I learned to "downhill ski" at the former Studebaker Proving Grounds. It is the second highest point in St. Joseph County Indiana

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              That is a great photo; gee, that "woodie" looks sleek for the day.

I think the rocks were there first. Just marking the edge of the roadway. Or keeping drivers from running into the gas pump.
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X