100,000 - Mile Studebakers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100,000 - Mile Studebakers.

Seen this old Studebaker ad in an old magazine i found today . Found behind the walls of an old house being remodeled . . Looks like Studebaker was keeping track of some of there high mile cars and there customers .
    Just stepped outside and checked my Studes mileage , It says " 38163 " .
    I can only assume thats original miles . ( winking smiley here ) .
    Attached Files

two thoughts...

one~
    SDC used to have a semi-regular feature on cars with documented mileage over 100K. It was called the 100,00 mile club for some reason...

Two~
    My '57 Parkview has had two (or more) speedos, so there's no way to tell her mileage. My '65 Cruiser is nearing 300,000, and I know it's right~ over 200K of that was by me!!! My other cars are all under 100K as they sit today.
    Last edited by StudeDave57; 03-21-2011, 05:09 PM. Reason: oooooops
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

There was a Studebaker 100,000 ml Club during the twenties whereby a Dealer would send documented owner details to South Bend and they would send the owner a small half inch pinback with the Studebaker wheel in the centre surrounded by a blue cloisonne ring in which HUNDRED THOUSAND CLUB is printed & then surrounded in gold. The issuing year is also engraved. Mine is 1923. Quite a pretty pin but a hard one to find. I know they went to at least 1926. A letter would also be sent signed by Harold Vance when he was still a Sales Manager.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
      MELBOURNE.

Comment

With modern shitboxes running 200-300K miles, I think SDC should bring back the 100, 200 and beyond Decals if you can prove or estimate close to the actual miles on your car......

It is hard to document sometimes, but it as important as the low miles cars being shown, and sometimes driven. The lowest I have seen is 252 miles and the MOST I have seen is like Dave says- near 300 K miles. I have serviced, restored and done work on a few hundred cars now.

200K miles is average now days for most newer cars before they are beyond repair.. Most 'modern cars' with this millage would require seriously expensive restorations. But, are they 50 years old and how 'nice ' would they ever beagain?????

Comment

This past weekend I saw and judged a '64 R1 Hawk that I have been seeing at meets for years. This time it had a new owner. Knowing the car, I asked the guy how many miles were on it. I don't remember the exact number but it was over 400,000.

Dr. Cade bought a '51 Champion as a second car in the late 50's. It had logged over 500,000 before it was taken completely apart and fully restored. Stephen still owns the car and drives it everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
            There was a Studebaker 100,000 ml Club during the twenties whereby a Dealer would send documented owner details to South Bend and they would send the owner a small half inch pinback with the Studebaker wheel in the centre surrounded by a blue cloisonne ring in which HUNDRED THOUSAND CLUB is printed & then surrounded in gold. The issuing year is also engraved. Mine is 1923. Quite a pretty pin but a hard one to find. I know they went to at least 1926. A letter would also be sent signed by Harold Vance when he was still a Sales Manager.
            So Jim, How old were you when you were presented with yours in 1923???
            Dave Pink
            Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
            1925 ER Tourer
            1925 Panel Delivery
            1953 Champion Sedan
            1957 Golden Hawk
            1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
            http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Originally posted by davepink53 View Post
              So Jim, How old were you when you were presented with yours in 1923???
              Nice one Dave!
              Brian Greenall
              Melbourne, OZ
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                This past weekend I saw and judged a '64 R1 Hawk that I have been seeing at meets for years. This time it had a new owner. Knowing the car, I asked the guy how many miles were on it. I don't remember the exact number but it was over 400,000.
                Toy collector Jim Geary's, right? 'Quite a story behind that Hawk. 'Thank goodness it was delivered and used in a dryer climate! BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well, the 57 Champion with the automatic turned over an honest 100,000 miles last summer on a 1,000+ mile trip. Took it for its first trip of the year two days ago--3 miles. So, I'm still a tyro at this. Was it Lester Schmidt (?) who had the 55 V8 pickup with over a million miles when it was wrecked?

Of course, all my non-Studebaker stuff is waaay beyond that milestone. These next are all in KM, and 160K km = 100K miles. Jetta diesel 195K, Peugeot diesel 550K+, Subaru 190K, Jeep 290K.
                  Last edited by Jim B PEI; 03-22-2011, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Toy collector Jim Geary's, right? 'Quite a story behind that Hawk. 'Thank goodness it was delivered and used in a dryer climate! BP
                    Yep, you're right. It was last owned by Pete McCaffrey, and now owned by Odis McGee.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      Yep, you're right. It was last owned by Pete McCaffrey, and now owned by Odis McGee.
                      Heck, I didn't realize Jim Geary had sold it. You southern boys keep those titles in circulation! <GGG> BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have an original Studebaker "100,000 Mile Club" plate. I checked over the years with many collectors, such as Asa Hall, Richard Quinn, Fred Fox, etc. and none had one in their collection. John Brichetto borrowed mine to make the reproduction plates that are still being sold.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

100,000 miles in the 1920's was no small feat!
                          What would you guess as the equivalent achievement with today's cars? 500K? 750K? 1M?
                          Andy
                          62 GT

Comment

Working...
                          X