Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't think they know what they're selling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think they know what they're selling?

saw this ebay posting, they don't seem to know what year the truck is. Very poor description.

Saw that truck ......if it was closer I think I'd go afer that one.....it looks to be in decent shape
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Interesting that one of the pictures is of a Lark 2 door. I wonder why he has ford in the header.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I don't think this is a novice seller in any way. His mention of the solid cab corners indicates he has knowledge of the most likely wasted places on these trucks. I suspect that the mention of ford is to cast a wider net in order to get more hits from the internet search from potential buyers. The pic of the lark is probably a way to solicit more inquires without having to list another vehicle.

Tricks of the trade.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
          I suspect that the mention of ford is to cast a wider net in order to get more hits from the internet search from potential buyers. The pic of the lark is probably a way to solicit more inquires without having to list another vehicle.

Tricks of the trade.
          Yep, spot-on.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            Yep, spot-on.
            spot on against ebay rules too. It's called keyword spamming. Wrong make, and wrong years listed in title to gain search viewers. You either have to let all sellers do it (which would be pointless), or none of them.

And if he has knowledge, then he should point out the correct year of what is trying to be sold. Basic advertising.

Comment

Sometimes they enforce it, sometimes not. I still see ads along the lines of "63 Lark, not Chevy, not Dodge, not Ford," etc. Another favorite is "compass, fits Ford, Dodge, Malibu, Corvette, Studebaker". A bit annoying when you do a search, but I don't see any real solution forthcoming.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Sometimes they enforce it, sometimes not. I still see ads along the lines of "63 Lark, not Chevy, not Dodge, not Ford," etc. Another favorite is "compass, fits Ford, Dodge, Malibu, Corvette, Studebaker". A bit annoying when you do a search, but I don't see any real solution forthcoming.
                yes, it can be quite annoying on some searches as we all know. I mean, if you were looking for a 63 Ford would you really find this Lark and say "cool, maybe I'll buy that instead, it's kinda neat". Possible I guess, but highly unlikely, it's just seems like a waste of time and makes me avoid that seller at all costs because they're ignorant. It really gets me going for some reason, I guess to make them know we're not all idiots.

With millions of listings, the solution is for anyone that comes across these listings, to report them. It just takes a few clicks if you're logged in. (Right under the item info, there's a link that says "report item". Then the ebay police will look for it. You can report multiple items from a single seller also. Especially when it is blatantly obvious. Sometimes people don't mean to misdirect, but when it's multiple things and obviously has nothing to do with the actual item, it needs to be called out to be cleaned up. If enough people report the seller, they will at least be on ebay's radar.
                At least, that's how I think of it.
                Last edited by gohdes; 03-21-2011, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                  Saw that truck ......if it was closer I think I'd go afer that one.....it looks to be in decent shape

Bob
                  You should add an M to your resume' after seeing the work on the 2r5, 64 and 66 the M would be a piece of cake.
                  The wife alway's calls them mustache trucks, I give her the look, and say....I sort of see it.
                  61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

seems like it is much worse on the "parts and accessories" side...
                    my morning e-mail for '40 studebaker from e-bay shows stuff that's not even close. i had it set up for "1940 studebaker champion" before, but was missing a lot of parts that fit all the 40 models (and other years).
                    i don't see any solution either. to report them all would take half a day...
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Kevin , I think these women all think alike ! My wife says they look like a frog <g>
                      I've thought about adding one of those....I do have a very good box and tailgate for one.....all i need now is everything else !
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                      X