Help Needed - Avanti Engine Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed - Avanti Engine Installation

In my '64 Avanti I've put the engine in with the (new) motor mounts offset toward the passenger side. There is only about 5/16" clearance between the rocker cover nut and the brake booster. I can't slide the lower left ignition shield into place as it hits on the steering coupler. Everything seems way to tight on the right side. I called another Avanti friend and he says he has very little clearance between his rocker cover nut and the brake booster. Was I supposed to install the ignition shield before the engine?
    Dennis

Not sure if you have the motor mounts in right. I can easily romove the rocker cover on the left (drivers side) and right (passenger side) on mine, there's even room to access the secondary throttle spring from the top of the left rear rocker cover nut to the throttle swivel bracket. Clearence is real tight between passenger side wire cover bracket and cowl, where the oil pressure line comes though, maybe a 1/2 inch or so. Did you pull the steel mounts off the frame? It's possible to put those on the wrong side and will shift the motor too far back.

Comment

Thanks - but still confused

No, I didn't take the mounts off the frame. That's why I can't see why it's not all fitting correctly. (Removed engine only, not transmission.) On the R side there is very tight clearance between the lines that go through the firewall and the ignition harness.
      Dennis

Comment

Any chance you used the thinner R3 mounts? Is yours an automatic? IIRC, there are different spacers left and right on the rear mount.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Dennis

Why not post a couple of well lit, in focus, pictures of your issues and let the Avanti folks on the forum solve your location problem.

Bob

Comment

Working...
          X