Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Plant in the News! March 15, 2011

Allen
    Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 03-16-2011, 01:10 PM.
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Saw that in this mornings paper Allen , that sure is good news .....hate to see that building get torn down .
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Good deal! I hate to see any old brick buildings get torn down (or fall apart). It is good that it will be used for something constructive again.

Comment

Very good. Seems the key to saving historic buildings is not just finding a viable use, but finding it before the building deteriorates too far. It cost a fortune to keep big old buildings in good repair. Hope this one pans out!

I was deeply saddened by the story of St. Cyril's school and church in Detroit. It was a huge, amazing, beautiful building that outlived its purpose. The elders tried hard to find someone to repurpose it but in the end no one could make it work, and now it's gone. The pictures of it just before demolition, with the moldy, crumbling sanctuary exposed to the elements, are absolutely haunting. And sad. See it at forgottendetroit.com .

I will always feel sad about the loss of the SB Studebaker buildings, even though I understand why they were lost. It would be great to see the Hamilton plant survive and thrive, whatever the use. Fingers crossed!
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Speaking of grandiose ideas/plans, I wonder how the renovation of the Admin Building in South Bend is coming along. It should be about done by now, right? stupak

Comment

I can see it now...
            Olivia Newton/John on the jogging track, running past those historic windows,
            and me setting outside on a bench...in a raincoat...with my bottle in a bag, humming the song..."Physical"
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff ...is that you in that video ?
              ( and I don't mean at the end ) <g>
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

How cool is the timing of the story, too! 45 years ago tomorrow the last Cruiser came off the line in that building.

(Funnily enough, though, that nice pic of the southwest corner of the complex is NOT Studebaker; that end of the complex was always Otis Elevator/Otis-Fensom. I got that mixed up myself the first time I did a photo shoot with my Lark at the plant, and took several excellent shots of the Lark outside...the Otis machine-shop doorway!)

I even like that the sports-centre gent is named Bob. With that name, he's a cinch to view the Studebaker connection favourably...it is, after all, the quasi-official preferred name for SDCers...and hey, our current mayor is named Bob as well...actually three of the last five Hamilton mayors have been Bobs.

S.
                Last edited by Steve T; 03-16-2011, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the update! (Older news on the plant about being a gym here.)

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X