Mustang 289 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustang 289 engine

A neighbor recently bought a Mustang with a bad engine. He knows I restore Studebakers and asked how he can verify if he has an originl engine. If NOT original he would consider installing larger engine, if original, he would rebuild to keep "matching numbers". He recently retired and this is first major restoration, and his online efforts have not helped. My first response was that he should be doing this with Studies, as there is a alot of help. In any case, if anyone knows the answer to this I would appreciate hearing from you, for example, is there a build sheet, and or forum that he can go to. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Thanks, I passed it on. Ken
    Last edited by ken-renda; 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM.

Try searching the web for "mustang clubs". They should have all the information you seek,

Comment

This site can get you a build sheet just like getting one from the Studebaker museum.
      Welcome to the official Marti Auto Works web site. We offer the finest Ford� restoration supplies on this planet. Not only do our products meet or exceed the original design specs, but they're affordable, too!

This page will help id the block by casting numbers.
      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

"Motors" auto repair manuals usually have this info also.

Comment

From my days as a Mustang owner what I recall is that you can't tell if an engine is original to the car. What you look for is a date code that is compatible with the date the car was built.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

This is the best site I have found for Ford info.
            Check it out.

73, Jim

Comment

Many 60's era high performance Fords had the last six digits of the VIN number stamped on the BACKSIDE (firewall side) of the block on the drivers side just below where the head bolts on. The stamping was done in thin line font, so you may have to look carefully. Anyway, that is where it was located on a 70' Torino with a 429 SCJ engine that I used to own.
              Dean

CLEM

Comment

Working...
              X