Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker makes list of ten most desired autos that have been discontinued.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker makes list of ten most desired autos that have been discontinued.

Just noticed this afternoon, Monday 3/14/11 that MSN made a list of the discontinued cars that they would like to see come back. Low and behold the 56-58 Golden Hawk made their list. Happy to see a great car make the list. The list is on msn called "Autos that are gone but not forgotten."

Brian Millette

That fact and the $99000.00 GH at Barrett Jackson will help get the value to go higher and higher.

Originally posted by 57 Classic View Post
    Just noticed this afternoon, Monday 3/14/11 that MSN made a list of the discontinued cars that they would like to see come back. Low and behold the 56-58 Golden Hawk made their list. Happy to see a great car make the list. The list is on msn called "Autos that are gone but not forgotten."

Brian Millette
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Here's a link to the article:

Personally, I dont mind the Golden Hawk being #2 on their list if the 1951-1954 Hudson Hornet is #1...and it is!

Cool beans for all our favorite orphans. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Personally, I dont mind the Golden Hawk being #2 on their list if the 1951-1954 Hudson Hornet is #1...and it is!
        And its also great to see the International Travelall make it on that list!! Most of the time, their light-duty truck line gets overlooked by everyone!

Craig

Comment

I agree with several cars on the list. Some, I don't care one way or the other.

But a Geo Prizim???? Am I missing something here?
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

Travelall? Sure, why not - I like IH alright, and those are certainly quirky enough to hold my attention But I would have put the Wagoneer on the list in its place. C'mon - Wags were produced, essentially unchanged, from 1962 - 1997. They are iconic. In fact, Jeep has said they are in fact bringing the Wag back - so maybe that's why it's not on the list.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

"But a Geo Prizim???? Am I missing something here? "

Great car, basic transportation and very affordable to fix. The Plymouth Valiant/ Dodge Dart of the 90's and built in Freemont, CA at the Numi Plant.
              sigpicAl Reed
              North Bay Area, CA
              1961 Lark Regal Skytop
              1953 Commander Starlight

Comment

Bring back the 1970-71 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda? It's been brought back as a Dodge Hemi powered Challenger so they can remove that from their list.
                As for IH Travelall's, I like them (being an IH light-line fan) but I feel the IH Scout line of vehicles would have been a better choice. They offered a standard wheelbase Scout, a long wheel base Scout (Traveller) and a Scout mid-size pickup (long before the Dodge Dakota) which was called a Terra all of which offered removable roofs and they also offered turbocharged diesel engines as an option (long before it's competitors).
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Most of the vehicles on the list I understand, but not the Geo, the Checker and the Hummer H1 are head scratchers for me.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Great car, basic transportation and very affordable to fix. The Plymouth Valiant/ Dodge Dart of the 90's and built in Freemont, CA at the Numi Plant.[/QUOTE]

I'll attest to that! For over 10 years, a Geo Prizm was my daily driver. It was great! I found it to be very reliable and quite nimble, too.

I also had a Dart for about a year when I was a teenager. I loved the 2-door hardtop body style. I had to sell it for college money, though.

I wouldn't mind having either one of them now.
                    Tom
                    1960 Lark VIII
                    1962 Lark Cruiser
                    1964 Cruiser

Comment

I liked the Dodge Swinger. It was based on the Dart, had a larger motor, and the back seat folded down, just like a station wagon. Nice car! My girlfriend in college had one and we used to rent a horse trailer to haul her (four) ponies around with.

Back in the day when cars actually had REAL bumpers and the local rental yard had clamp-on hitches. Yeah, we used to tow a horse trailer with a clamp-on bumper hitch! Crazy huh? With the open divider this trailer had, the Shetlands could move around quite a lot in there. They loved it! 'Course, we only told the yard owner that we were moving 'just a couple of ponies...'

By the by, that Swinger had no trouble with the trailer either. It still had lots of punch with that heavy trailer and climbed hills very well. Nice car that...
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by 259man View Post
                        I'll attest to that! For over 10 years, a Geo Prizm was my daily driver. It was great! I found it to be very reliable and quite nimble, too.
                        No need to bring back a Geo Prizm ... it was a GM re-badged Toyota Corolla.
                        sigpic
                        John
                        63R-2386
                        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I had one of those as a company car once...Full boat 392 4bbl, power EVERYTHING..Dual tanks (15 minute fill on the front tank)...
                          What an OPEC barge.
                          But.... I will always remember it fondly, especially after getting hit from behind while stopped by a guy going better than 55MPH.
                          He lost... I had a stiff neck.
                          And we fixed the Travelall....(tough machine, fer sure...)
                          Cult machine at it's finest....
                          Jeff

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          And its also great to see the International Travelall make it on that list!! Most of the time, their light-duty truck line gets overlooked by everyone!

Craig
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                            No need to bring back a Geo Prizm ... it was a GM re-badged Toyota Corolla.
                            True, but it was quite a bit cheaper than a Corolla when I bought mine in '93. As a poor college student at the time, I definitely noticed the price difference!

I thought I heard that the Fremont, CA auto plant is now closed.
                            Tom
                            1960 Lark VIII
                            1962 Lark Cruiser
                            1964 Cruiser

Comment

I liked IHC when I had my wrecking yard, I could buy a Travelall for $50. that ran and drove, Couldn't loose at those prices Just one part sold off it and I had my money back. Some of them were just tanks with tires and wheels. But some people had to love them or they wouldn't have sold for so many years .

Comment

Working...
                              X