Finally got to drive the Cruiser!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got to drive the Cruiser!

Well, after waiting for a week for DMV to come out to inspect the Cruiser, I got tags and new title yesterday. Of course there was a tense moment, on my part, when the officer looked at the old title then at the VIN number on the car and said, " This looks like an I on the car, but it is a 1 on the title." I told him that Studebaker did that and gave him the original bill of sale (march 1966) and the bill of sale my aunt and uncle signed a couple of weeks ago. He then commented, "I guess it could be a roman numeral one." He went to his car and in about 10 minutes returned and handed me the necissary paper work. "You know where that car was made?" he asked. "Canada," I replied. That's right and he began to tell me the number of Cruisers produced in Canada in 1965. I don't know if his numbers were correct, but I was impressed. He also told me that indeed Studebaker did use the roman numeral one, or capital i, for a 1. He was smiling all the time and when he left I shook his hand and he congratualted me on have such a "rare" car. I don't know who he spoke with while in the car, but whoever it was had some Studebaker knowledge.

Just goes to show you. The system may be messed up, but the people carrying it out usually are not.

Then after a 30 minute wait in line at the license tag office I got new tags and title. That all was yesterday. No time left to drive it then.

This morning I carefully drove it out of the driveway after putting some octane booster in the tank. Filled it up with premium ($$$$$) and sprayed the carb with carb cleaner I went for a drive. It drives wonderfully. I do need to look at the brakes. The pedal is stiff (hard to depress. they are not power brakes). The car's power steering is working well as is the original AM radio. It accelerates pretty well. The AMP gauge shows that the system is charging pretty heavily, so that is something else I'll have to look at.

All-in-all, the Cruiser seems to be a pretty good old car. Although it might not have been something I would have sought out, I felt it was important to keep it in the family, as my Uncle bought the car new.

It is a V8, automatic car and there are lots of possibilities there. I am as happy as I can be with the aquisition. Long trips should be more comfortable now than they were with the Champ!

Joe Roberts
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Joe there is no need for octane boosters and premium fuel in the cruiser, the engine will be perfectly happy with regular.In other words you are not giving the engine a treatThe one thing it does do is extract more money per gallon from your billfoldGlad uncle Dick's car agrees with you and i hope you will enjoy it for many years to come. My 66 Cruiser without power brakes always needed a lot of pedal pressure to stop also without power assist.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Joe there is no need for octane boosters and premium fuel in the cruiser, the engine will be perfectly happy with regular.In other words you are not giving the engine a treatThe one thing it does do is extract more money per gallon from your billfoldGlad uncle Dick's car agrees with you and i hope you will enjoy it for many years to come. My 66 Cruiser without power brakes always needed a lot of pedal pressure to stop also without power assist.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Thanks for the info on the brakes, Frank.
        I normally will not use either primium fuel or octane booster, but the car was stuttering some and seemed carboned up so I used that to help clean stuff out. I don't know if that is what did it, but it runs fine now that I put that in and drove it awhile. The car does have 153,000 original miles with no rebuild, so I am sure that may be in store sometime down the line, but for now it drives great around town. Will venture out on the open road this week, after I have looked at the charging situation.
        By-the-way, the owners manual (yes the original one was in the glove box.) it mentions what fuel to use. It says regular for the normal engine and premium for the engines with "high compression heads." Now, was this book simply printed up before the GM engine was used. Surely with only a two barrel available the Canadian Studes did not have high conmpresion heads did they?

Joe Roberts
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

Thanks for the info on the brakes, Frank.
          I normally will not use either primium fuel or octane booster, but the car was stuttering some and seemed carboned up so I used that to help clean stuff out. I don't know if that is what did it, but it runs fine now that I put that in and drove it awhile. The car does have 153,000 original miles with no rebuild, so I am sure that may be in store sometime down the line, but for now it drives great around town. Will venture out on the open road this week, after I have looked at the charging situation.
          By-the-way, the owners manual (yes the original one was in the glove box.) it mentions what fuel to use. It says regular for the normal engine and premium for the engines with "high compression heads." Now, was this book simply printed up before the GM engine was used. Surely with only a two barrel available the Canadian Studes did not have high conmpresion heads did they?

Joe Roberts
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser

Comment

As far as I know there was only one version of the 283 used in the 65 and 66 models Joe. I'd be willing to bet that the booklets were printed ,as you suspect, before the engines were being installed.The only engines that needed premium were the R series engines in 63 and 64. Maybe someone will chime in here with additional info.

Frank van Doorn
            1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
            1963 Daytona Conv
            1941 Champion R-2 Rod
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

As far as I know there was only one version of the 283 used in the 65 and 66 models Joe. I'd be willing to bet that the booklets were printed ,as you suspect, before the engines were being installed.The only engines that needed premium were the R series engines in 63 and 64. Maybe someone will chime in here with additional info.

Frank van Doorn
              1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
              1963 Daytona Conv
              1941 Champion R-2 Rod
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank
                Maybe someone will chime in here with additional info.
                In '64, the regular 259's and 289's had a 8.25 to 1 compression ratio. The shop manual does list an "optional" compression ratio of 8.5 to 1.

The R2's had 9 to 1 and the R1's had 10.25 to 1.

195 HP 283's (2 barrel engines) had a 9.25 to 1 compression ratio (the 220 hp 4 barrel version had the same...not installed in Studebakers, however).

I would guess that the 283 would probably run OK on regular, but it might be happier on super.

I have about a 9.25/1 CR in my 327 powered Starliner. I run super.

The 195 HP 283 timing spec is 4 degrees of initial advance. I run about 10 degrees in my 327. You might be able to bump the timing up a little on the 283 if you run super for maybe a few more horses.

150,000 miles is not uncommon on a well maintained 283. I've run them well over 200,000 with no problems (well, valve seals in one, but solved it with some umbrella type seals)...in later small blocks the plastic cam gear seemed to go away at 100-150,000. If it isn't smoking or making strange noises, you are probably good to go for another 50-100,000.

Pretty neat you've got your uncle's Cruiser, Joe. Congrats on getting it licensed!

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank
                  Maybe someone will chime in here with additional info.
                  In '64, the regular 259's and 289's had a 8.25 to 1 compression ratio. The shop manual does list an "optional" compression ratio of 8.5 to 1.

The R2's had 9 to 1 and the R1's had 10.25 to 1.

195 HP 283's (2 barrel engines) had a 9.25 to 1 compression ratio (the 220 hp 4 barrel version had the same...not installed in Studebakers, however).

I would guess that the 283 would probably run OK on regular, but it might be happier on super.

I have about a 9.25/1 CR in my 327 powered Starliner. I run super.

The 195 HP 283 timing spec is 4 degrees of initial advance. I run about 10 degrees in my 327. You might be able to bump the timing up a little on the 283 if you run super for maybe a few more horses.

150,000 miles is not uncommon on a well maintained 283. I've run them well over 200,000 with no problems (well, valve seals in one, but solved it with some umbrella type seals)...in later small blocks the plastic cam gear seemed to go away at 100-150,000. If it isn't smoking or making strange noises, you are probably good to go for another 50-100,000.

Pretty neat you've got your uncle's Cruiser, Joe. Congrats on getting it licensed!

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yes congrats on getting it inspected and licensed
                    all in one day!!! My Daytona's previous owner is
                    overnighting (well it does take 2 days for overnight
                    to get Chino Valley) all of His registration stuff,
                    a notarized Bill of Sale and other "silver bullets"
                    to help convince the "Zonian" MVD folks that all
                    is well with my Daytona from Georgia....So right now
                    she is "sporting" a temp paper tag in the rear window.
                    Tomorrow she has a "photo op" with the ins. co.

She does love to cruise and has turned heads already
                    "Say what is that.........?"

glen Brose
                    Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

Yes congrats on getting it inspected and licensed
                      all in one day!!! My Daytona's previous owner is
                      overnighting (well it does take 2 days for overnight
                      to get Chino Valley) all of His registration stuff,
                      a notarized Bill of Sale and other "silver bullets"
                      to help convince the "Zonian" MVD folks that all
                      is well with my Daytona from Georgia....So right now
                      she is "sporting" a temp paper tag in the rear window.
                      Tomorrow she has a "photo op" with the ins. co.

She does love to cruise and has turned heads already
                      "Say what is that.........?"

glen Brose
                      Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

You have to remember that "regular" gas back in the mid-60's was about 95 octane. Today its 87. Regular ain't regular anymore. FWIW, I put regular in my 64' 289 (15K on rebuild), and I see no outward problems. A couple times a year I fill up with "super" (93 octane) and the difference is very noticeable....Back in the early 80's, when I was out in SoCal, I filled up with leaded premium...what a dream. After travelling cross country on mostly leaded 86-87 the difference was like running on jet fuel <g>.....

Comment

You have to remember that "regular" gas back in the mid-60's was about 95 octane. Today its 87. Regular ain't regular anymore. FWIW, I put regular in my 64' 289 (15K on rebuild), and I see no outward problems. A couple times a year I fill up with "super" (93 octane) and the difference is very noticeable....Back in the early 80's, when I was out in SoCal, I filled up with leaded premium...what a dream. After travelling cross country on mostly leaded 86-87 the difference was like running on jet fuel <g>.....

Comment

I've been running my '65 on regular (87 octane) for just about as long as I've owned her- 15 1/2 years and over 200,000 miles...
                            She doesn't seem to mind at all, as long as she's tuned properly.
                            Which reminds me- it's time to go tune her up now!!!

StudeDave [8D]
                            V/P San Diego County SDC
                            San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                            '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                            '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                            '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                            '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                            '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I've been running my '65 on regular (87 octane) for just about as long as I've owned her- 15 1/2 years and over 200,000 miles...
                              She doesn't seem to mind at all, as long as she's tuned properly.
                              Which reminds me- it's time to go tune her up now!!!

StudeDave [8D]
                              V/P San Diego County SDC
                              San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
                              '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                              '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
                              '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
                              '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                              '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver