1957 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Hawk

Hi all. My name is Scott and i am a car guy through and through. I have had a lot of old cars more than 50 in my 40 years on planet earth. And i know this next line will be meet wil sighs but I am a Mopar man but I love all old cars.

Soooo here is why i am here . I have a old uncle that is not doing well. He has a 1957 hawk that the body is rust free and the interior is ok needs some work. Cars in primer so dont know the original color. He replaced the drive trin with a chevy 350 , turbo tranny , 12 bolt rear and chevy drive shat so that is all not original.

Now the car is sexy and it is going to rot away if not saved and he tells me today when I asked about it 1k and it can be mine. I know you guys are bias for these cars so bear in mind I may not keep it. I may make it road worthy and just look to pass it along at cost to soone who will love it.

What should I look for when looking at the car? What is it's woorth with what you konw? Am I going to pick this thing up and be stuck with it?

I am a car guy just looking to do some good for the hobby I love so you experts give me the run down. As a mopar guy I am just not in a place to make the call on this one so tell me what ya can. tell me what can help me make the right call here.

Thank you for your time all.

Welcome to the Forum. Pictures are what we need. How much it is worth is depending on condition. I guarantee once you get in it and drive it you won't want to get rid of it.

Comment

Scott, sounds like your uncle did things right from what you describe. Like Alan said, once you drive it you wont want to get rid of it. If you do, and the car is what you say it is, you shouldnt have any problem selling it. 1 thousand is a bargin if it is as good as you say. Rust is the enemy especially with Studebakers. Lift up the carpet & inspect the floors around the front door posts & in front of the rear seats & the trunk floor. Those & the usual rust along the vertical edge alond the rear of the front fenders. Your car was originally made with a 2 piece driveshaft like many GM cars of that era. If it has a one piece now it may hit when the rear suspention is fully bottomed out. When Studebaker went to a single piece driveshaft they enlarged the tunnel to accomodate. That is something that can be fixed easy- just put in a larger rear axle bumper on each side of the frame. Being loyal to one make is one thing, but its kinda like dating. You dont commit for life with the first girl you take out (most of the time anyway!) Give the Hawk a chance-maybe 2 or 3 dates at least!

If you make up your mind to keep it, you can obtain a copy of the production broadcast sheet from the Studebaker Museum, which will tell you all the things you want to know on how it was equipped & perhaps where it went were it was sold, color, engine# & options.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I know you guys say i wont want to get rid of it. But guys. I sold a 71 AAR cuda my dream car to buy a house for cash this summer. Mopars.... The sound of the starter and the rev of a 440 and the power no other 70's muscle can bring. I am not sure it wll grab me. But let hope it does.

As far as rust goes the body is spotless. I have loked it over over and under a few times and havent seen anything that has me worried. Tommrow I am going to go look it over a bit better with an eye for buying and see what i can find and i'll post some photos for you all. I can say that the look of the car is really nice. i have always thought if he finished the car it would be one hell of a ride.

Comment

I have been a Studebaker man since I was a teen, but Mopar has always been my 2nd choice. I agree with you on the roar of a big 440. It makes some soul wrenching music! 2nd only to the deep rumble of a Studebaker 289.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

I have three Mopars and one Studebaker. Believe me, you can't find a better Studebaker than a Hawk or an Avanti. If you are into Mopars that Hawk will give the Mopars a run for the money. Pictures would be nice?!
            1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Does it run and drive, or could it be made to run and drive with a day's work and $100?

If so, and to answer your original question, it's hard to imagine the car not being worth $1,000.

Beyond that, we'll really have to have some pictures to pinpoint a higher valuation.

(Yes, I know what you mean about MoPars: I own a fairly nice, original, Vitamin-C 1971 Barracuda convertible I've had 35 years. One of only 1,014 "non-'cuda" 1971 Barracuda convertibles made that year. An additional 374 convertibles were 'cudas, for a grand total of only 1,388 units the last year they made E-body convertibles.) BP
              Last edited by BobPalma; 03-12-2011, 09:56 AM. Reason: to correct my addition!
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Going to take some photos and really give it the once over now guys. be back in 4 or 5 hours and will upload the pics for ya.

Comment

My personal opinion from Minne-snow-tah...

New drive train... a few thousand
                  New brakes and such.... a few hundred
                  Rust-free body and chassis...priceless!

From my salt-laden vantage point $1,000 is a no-brainer.
                  sigpic
                  Bob Shaw
                  Rush City, Minnesota
                  1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                  "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Strongbad, i checked your profile and re-read your posts to get an indication of where you, and your uncle, reside...

reason being: a southern or western car is more likely not to have big rust problems as do vehicles from the north, as i'm sure you know.

naturally, there are exceptions to this rule...

looking forward to the pics.
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I'll reserve commenting on the price till we see pics, but it would be helpful if you told us where you are.
                      I'd like to get at the front of the line, in case you pass on it. lol

Comment

I can't find a rusted out parts car for that much around here! When he said $1000.00, I would have reached for my check book! Buy it, even if it has other problems you could sell it for more than that on eBay.

Comment

Yes! I agree with everything that has been said so far. So I don't want to repeat it.
                          Where are you! And yes I have a $1000.00 waiting in my pocket too.
                          But, as said you WILL fall in love with this car. I had a 70 Cuda 383 Commander 4 spd car New. It was nice, fast and fun...... but "No Studebaker"!
                          You could have a part of American History here.

Anxiuosly awaiting pictures.
                          Oh. And Welcome to the Forum.
                          Good Luck
                          & Good Roads
                          Brian
                          Brian Woods
                          woodysrods@shaw.ca
                          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                            But, as said you WILL fall in love with this car. I had a 70 Cuda 383 Commander 4 spd car New. It was nice, fast and fun...... but "No Studebaker"!
                            & Good Roads
                            Brian
                            I think that you mean Commando. You have been hanging aroud Studebakers too much <G>.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

One-thousand one dollars.

Comment

Working...
                              X