After 7 1/2 Years...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 7 1/2 Years...

...our custom '53 Commander Starlight made its debut last weekend at the Midnight at the Oasis car show here in Yuma. This car was customized by my wife's dad and uncle in 1955-59 in Custer, SD. At least 17 cars contributed parts to it. The hood ornament, hood and side emblems, headlights, tail lights, bumpers, hood, windshield, exterior mirrors, wheel covers, dash, radio, steering wheel, and horn button are either original or period correct Stude parts. The suspension, 232 V-8 engine, 3-speed, transmission with OD (less than 19K miles on them) are original. We have switched to 12V system, added AC, PS, new fuel tank, replaced all the wiring. People absolutely swarmed the car all day at the car show as it is one of a kind. We have many car shows in our future especially once work doesn't get in the way. Look closely for a picture of the roof stored in the oversized trunk.

Jim's Rod Shop: Restoring Vintage Cars and Hot Rods in Yuma, Arizona
    Last edited by paintim613; 03-11-2011, 03:15 PM.
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Thanks for shring your project with us. Great pictures. Have fun!!

Comment

Custom Grille

Pretty amazing how well those '51-'52 Chev. Parking Lights fit that '55 FORD Grill!

Now that IS different!

Comment

Good eye. That is a '55 Ford grill but the parking light are from a '50 Chevy. The trunk lid is a '46 Olds hood, the roof is from a '39 Chevy pickup, the continental kit is from a Baby Bird, and the list goes on.
        Originally posted by (S) View Post
        Pretty amazing how well those '51-'52 Chev. Parking Lights fit that '55 FORD Grill!

Now that IS different!

Comment

That is Fantastic. That car looks to on the same style and quality level as D.Stiencamps Ute. Its difficult to change the front of a Lowey coupe and have it look right, but this has to be the best execution of a '53-'55 front end design modification I've seen. Thanks for sharing.
          sigpic
          '89 Ford Festiva
          '90 Ford F250 4x4
          '18 Kia Soul
          '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
          '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Really cool project, I like the color. This is one you can look at for hours and even days and still find new "stuff" that was done. Very impressive!

Pat
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Pat should like the color as I wanted one close to his STU COOL beauty. Our color is Porsche Indian Red.

Comment

And, I mean that in the nicest way!
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
                  Good eye. That is a '55 Ford grill but the parking light are from a '50 Chevy./Cut/
                  1951 and 1952 Chev. not 50!

Comment

I would say Tim's care drew more attention than any car at the show. He can be proud of a long project well done.

Denny L

Comment

Working...
                    X