Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody over 50 remember what a huge album "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" was?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody over 50 remember what a huge album "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" was?

...by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass?

I bought the CD maybe five years ago. My parents had the vinyl album which was often played on their huge stereo in the living room. Sheila remembers her parents having it too. It struck me as one of those albums that EVERYBODY had...sort of like "Hotel California" or "Frampton Comes Alive", a decade later.

In my mind, it came out in '67 or '68. I see it actually came out in '65 but was on the Top Forty charts for three years!

I remember thinking how naughty that cover photo was--tame by today's standards.

Here's the lady in 2006:

A couple other things--we had this CD playing in our van when we got off at Wauseon, OH to visit old friends en route to the '07 SDC International in South Bend. The look of "whaaaat?" when we pulled up to the toll booth to pay our toll was priceless when the youngish toll booth worker heard it.

Day before yesterday, Sheila's fourteen-month old nephew, who walks like crazy, heard it playing in our CD player at our house and started dancing like crazy to it...so much so that his parents bought it yesterday for him! He loves it!

I think it sounds dated now, but it never fails to put a smile on my face.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Yes, I am OVER 50 and remember the album and the music, but I do not believe that I ever owned it.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am well over 50 and was a Disc Jockey for 20 years, yup, remember, played and owned.
      Working on old cars separates the men from the golfers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
        ...by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass?

I bought the CD maybe five years ago. My parents had the vinyl album which was often played on their huge stereo in the living room. Sheila remembers her parents having it too. It struck me as one of those albums that EVERYBODY had...sort of like "Hotel California" or "Frampton Comes Alive", a decade later.

In my mind, it came out in '67 or '68. I see it actually came out in '65 but was on the Top Forty charts for three years!

Here's the lady in 2006:
        My parents never owned the album, but a friend of my dad's did. And I do remember them playing it on one of those big living room hi-fi's. 'A Taste of Honey' by Herb Alphert comes to mind, as do tunes from another brass group of the time, the Bob Crewe Generation.

Craig

Comment

Here it is!

Dick
          Mountain Home, AR
          http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 50starlite View Post

Here it is!
            Did you know that the 'A' in A&M Records stands for Alpert; a record company that Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss formed in the early 1960's?

Craig

Comment

I'm not over 50, but I know for a fact that this album is still in my parents full size vintage hi-fi right next to Surfin' USA and Elvis.
              Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

I would have no idea what you old fossils are talking about.

I personally will not be 50 until waaaay up in the future 3 months.
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Never heard of that one but there are a couple Herb Alpert albums in my folk's record cabinet that I recall listenning to in the early 80s. I think they are still there....

It struck me as one of those albums that EVERYBODY had...sort of like "Hotel California" or "Frampton Comes Alive", a decade later.
                  Now THIS statement is quite a coincidence! The past month or so, I'd been checking out some local thrift stores for some reason and was going through the record albums and other used music. I think this all started when I found out you cannot buy Type II high bias blank cassette tape anymore except some places on-line you can order NOS. Stores no longer have it, just the type I. Thought perhaps some thrift stores might have some that someone dropped off. I DID find 5 un-opened ones for $0.69 each one day Any rate, one store had some record albums other than Christmas music, 101 strings, Lawrence Welk, etc, etc (aka not anything I'd be interested in). I picked up a few albums from such as America, Three Dog Night, Blood Sweat & Tears, 5th Dimension, etc for $1 each and then dug out my old turntable from the closet that I'd not looked for at least 15yrs. Turns out the belt had turned to goo so those $1 albums cost me $14 for a new turntable belt.... Got the turntable going again and just last week found "Frampton Comes Alive" for $0.85 at a different thrift store. I'd heard of it and had heard a couple songs from it on the "moldy oldy" station before but never the whole thing. A little before my time as it came out in 1976 and the first music I ever bought as a Jr High kid was in '79.

To make a long story short, here it is playing this weekend on my 1982 Sharp RP-113 linear tracking TT. I cleaned up the disks (actually in pretty decent shape, no scratches, etc) and used "Audacity" program to sample into the computer. I'll make a CD of it. I know, you can buy this new as its not rare but I kinda like the accoustic "patina" hehe.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Posted by Jeff H

used "Audacity" program to sample into the computer. I'll make a CD of it. I know, you can buy this new as its not rare but I kinda like the accoustic "patina" hehe.
                    Jeff

For several years I converted almost all of my favorite tunes from vinyl to CD and a lot of them were not available on CD. I know what you mean by patina and it's not all bad. Still brings back a lot of youthful memories.

Thanks for the heads up on Audacity. I used Cool Edit for a long time, then Microsoft bought it and included it in some optional software for Windows XP. However, that software would not work with Vista nor 7 so Cool Edit bit the dust, B@st@rds.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      I would have no idea what you old fossils are talking about.
                      You must have been a deprived child!

Herb Alpert comes to mind whenever I see one of these things still functioning in a basement somewhere:

Craig
                      Last edited by 8E45E; 03-07-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I'm under 30 (for 7 months) and I love Herb Alpert!

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          'A Taste of Honey' by Herb Alphert comes to mind, as do tunes from another brass group of the time, the Bob Crewe Generation.

Craig
                          On my opinion , Herb Alpert was the leader of the Tijuana style sound that had a lot of copycats ( records as Coronet , Alshire and Spinorama had a lot of cheap-o- Tijuana style bands) But Bob crewe has a superior sound,with richer and more complex arrangements. I still love that music

Comment

A Taste of Honey is one of my favorites! One of the best instrumentals ever made, in my opinion. I think the album Bill speaks of also has the theme music played on 'The Newlywed Game' show from years ago. I sometimes visit YouTube and listen to songs like this.
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              You must have been a deprived child!

Craig
                              Believe me, I was just kiddin'! I'm plenty old enough to remember Herb Alpert- and I do!
                              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X