X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the proper way to mount a 53 Stude coupe hood

I just got my 53 coupe hood today and started to mount the hood by myself
    1st i attached the hood to the rear studs and put a nut on each stud
    the right side rear hinge has a spring the left side no spring maybe this was part of my problem?
    getting the front studs in the hinge holes prove impossible
    i used different size sticks and poles to hold the hood up
    after some near misses when the poles slipped i quit
    i'm going to wait for help maybe tomorrow and hopefully get some advice here
    what to and what not to do
    Thanks

Mine has springs on both sides. It would seem easier if you removed your existing spring until you have bolted the hood up but thats just a guess as I havent put mine back on yet. Steve
    sigpic

Comment

If the new hood is not kinked now, I'd recommend getting the re-inforcement plates from CE or making your own re-inforcements. Too easy to mess up the hood otherwise. They are very delicate.

Make sure there is a rubber strip in the channel on the cowl or else the hood may catch there and kink along the back edge. You will also need that strip to help align it.

Take off all 4 of the springs before doing anything else. There is 1 big one going down a hole in the inner fender and hooks to a tab on the A post on each side and a weaker long one that attaches from the hinge to a tab horizontally out on the inner fender. Leave both of them off each side. You will want to get the hinges adjusted w/o those springs on since they will fight you. Hopefully the hinges are reasonably adjusted now from the old hood as a starting point.

I had so much "fun" with mine that when I finally got it as good as it would go, I masked off the hinges and painted around them so I would not have to go through that again!

Get a helper or 2 and hold the hood in position and put the hinge straps on the studs. These hoods cannot be lifted straight up from the front, they sort of come forward as they rise. Sticky hinges are a bad thing. Make sure they are well lubed. Installing the reinforcement plates will allow more forgiveness here. Whatever you do, don't force it to move or you will regret it

Jeff in ND

Comment

You definitely need BOTH main hinge Springs that go down inside the fender and attach to the Body, you will end up bending the hood corners without an even pull on both springs. A new pair are only $10.00.

The two that go forward, to the inner fender are also $10.00. for a new matched pair.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks i learned more today

Thanks for the information

right now i have a total of one spring so 4 new ones sounds like what the doctor ordered

CE hood stiffeners that was in my plans
          I made a piece to use on my 56 Skyhawk to re enforce the hood last time
          this time around it's CE's for $45 it's quicker and ready to install

Comment

Just mounted mine last week. The advise already given is just right. I might add, that
            when you are adjusting the hinges, have then kinda snug, and use something like a
            hammer handle, and put against hinge. Hit lighty with another hammer to move the hinge
            a little at a time. BE SURE to have the springs off while adjusting. And be equally careful
            to pull the hood forward while lifting. Put your upper springs on and put the lower on with
            the hood closed. Took about hour. You DO need help.

Comment

MINIMUM of THREE people!
              Good Roads
              Brian
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca
              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Hoods can be done with one. I put a 8" square piece of 3/4" insulating board (soft) on each side of the cowl where the corners would go, with a 2by4 across the fenders. I wrestled the hood into position, lifted the front and put a broomstick under it. Then put the bolts in each hinge. Sometimes you gotta improvise. I didn't have anyone to help.

Comment

Don't forget to back of the little nuts and bolts on the lower rod first, once backed off some it will spread some and go over the stud on the hood.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Tom
                    You need to get more friends or buy more beer for your shop fridge????
                    Good Roads
                    Brian
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                    X