GM LS engine in '60 Lark: info requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM LS engine in '60 Lark: info requested

Forum Members: This question came in over the transom from SDC member Larry Walter.

I cannot answer the question and he is not on the forum, so I offered to post it here and will direct him to the forum.

Meanwhile, if anyone has input on this, please post. Thanks. Bob

To: bobcaripalma@hotmail.com
    Subject: 60 Stude Convertible
    Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:59:47 -0800

Bob, I am running a short water pump Chevy 350 with a 700R4 in this car.

I want to replace it with a GM LS engine but am concerned about the length of the LS since the current setup just fits with an engine driven fan.

There is no room to move the radiator since the AC Condenser just fits behind the grill.

Do you know if anyone has done this or if the LS is the same or shorter than the current engine? I am not concerned about the electric hookup as I have done EFI engine swaps in Studes before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Larry Walter.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Here are dimensions of various engines including the LS1 that should be helpful. Keep in mind that the Corvette motor is shorter than the Camaro and Truck engines due to different accessory and balancers. I believe all LS car engines use electric fans where the trucks use a belt driven fan, of couse you can use an electric fan with a truck motor, but it will still be longer.

GM Performance, Crate Engine, Small Block, Big Block, Performance, Race, Kits, Universal 350,Chevy,Ford,Chrysler,Mopar,LS1,LS6,Edelbrock,Truck, GM parts

Pat
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I thought I saw an article in Car Craft some years ago about this very thing.Curiousity got the best of me and I went to the Car Craft website and I keyworded "Studebaker with Chevy engine". The first result I got was an article entitled 'The Studebaker Lark with a Corvette heart'.It's about one 1960 Lark and this thing is engineered to the max.The link is about a mile long,but if you do the aforementioned you can get access to this article.A pretty awesome vehicle, and hopefully you can get some needed info. Hope this helps.

Comment

Pat , Larry lives in Galt, Ca.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Palma I'll send an email and see if I can help any.

I assume Larry's keeping the Stude steering/front suspension?

And I'll ask, If he plans on keeping the 700r4 or going electronic 4L60e Adaptors will be needed.

Oil pan is another key point. I use the Vette Bat wing in my set up but have a another that would work for cheap if he's keeping it stock height.
          GM Part

If these owners can cram one into a Rambler, he can get an LS1 into a Lark.

61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X