Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

. Vintage Candy . ( Avanti In Trouble ? )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• . Vintage Candy . ( Avanti In Trouble ? )

Wonder if this Avanti made it through this road block check . Im sure it was checked out thoroughly or theses guy never seen an Avanti before .

That's a still from the film Gattata.

A sci-fi film set in the future where to get anywhere in life, you have to be genetically engineered.
    If you were "casually bred" the "old fashioned" way, you're looked at like a mixed breed at a dog show.

Many of the cars are Avantis....electric Avantis. There is a neat shot of the front bumper guard being folded down and the car being plugged in .

It stars Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurmon...
    Last edited by JBOYLE; 03-05-2011, 09:16 AM.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I remember watching Gattaca in Biology class my Freshman year of High School. I screamed out "Hey, an Avanti! We have one of those!" The looks I got from the rest of my classmates were priceless.. Surely a car like that doesn't really exist..

FWIW, Jon Myer is the one that prepped all of the cars to be used in the movie, back when he was living on the west coast.

Comment

Yep, if you wanted to go to space you needed to be genetically perfect to fly, and if you weren't, well a spot check of a blood test or mouth swab made sure that you weren't getting on the ship. If you want to see a movie of a darker future where the future inhabitants can be singled out of a job on the account of a potential but not yet displayed heart condition, or the Avanti for that matter, you have to see that movie. The lead actor was imperfect and his brother was genetically modified, of which he was always in his brother's shadow, which he used to get upset over. If I recall the imperfect lead actor made it to the ship, he just passed his genetically perfect brother's DNA off as his own.
        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

What I remember most about the film are the Avantis and Uma...two beauties in one film!

Oh, in a flashback, you see the star's parents making out (fron a distance, very non-graphically) in the back of a boattail Riveria...lying down under the big glass. IIRC, the narrator says, "I was conceived on the Riveria..."
          It's impossible to lay down in that car since the rear seat doesn't fold. They would have been better off (and more confortable) in a first generation Barracuda or Mustang fastback with a fold down back seat.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

this is a photo of one of the cars used in the movie. It was repainted blue and the windshield was replaced witha clear one.
            rob
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm sure Dan Skidmore could tell you the story.

Comment

Did`nt know this was a movie image , but thought the green glow made the Avanti look sinister . .

Comment

Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                  Did`nt know this was a movie image , but thought the green glow made the Avanti look sinister . .
                  They ARE sinister....they have designs on your wallet!
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                  X