LockRight...Drive Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LockRight...Drive Report

On the off chance, this post got lost in the shuffle (plus a little more updated info)....

Today I got the rear end back in S2D. Same rear end, but now with Fairborn axles, 4.27 ring and pinion, and a Richmond Gear LockRight unit.

First of all, I'd like to thank Ted Harbit and Phil Harris of Fairborn Studebaker for all their help...both with parts and with plenty of free advice. The Studebaker hobby is privileged to have folks like these guys as a part of it.

I took it easy the first couple of miles. In so doing, I had a hard time noticing a change...other than the change from 3.54's to 4.27's. I should have made that gear change years ago. A close ratio T-10 is MADE for a low rear end. It really woke the car up (and it already wasn't too sleepy .

In terms of the LockRight, if I didn't know it was in there, I probably wouldn't have noticed any difference under less than spirited driving. There is a slight "clunk" if you quickly remove your foot from the accelerator (no clunk if you ease off on the gas...probably wouldn't clunk with an automatic trans). This is probably the LockRight coming up against the pinion shaft. With a neutral or trailing throttle in a slowish and not super tight corner, you can't (I least I can't) even hear the LockRight clicking.

If you take off quickly from a stop with the wheels turned hard right or left, the inside tire will chirp. The LockRight is sensing the torque and locking, causing the inside tire to turn faster than it should. I could also make it click (barely audible) in a tight, relatively fast turn (neutral or trailing throttle).

No bad manners under hard acceleration through the gears. None of the symptoms that Jeff eluded to with a Detroit Locker. No pulling or sudden locking or unlocking. I didn't test in the wet, but it did nothing to indicate that it would be a problem.

It is a little different than my open rear end, but I like it! Sort of more "hot rod" like. S2D is a hot rod. No A/C, no power windows, no power steering, 4 speed, high winding solid lifter 327. The relatively minor things the LockRight does differently than an open rear end make the car even more of a hot rod. No complaints.

The LockRight's normal state is to be locked...but, it unlocks rather easily. For example, with both rear wheels off the ground, if you turn one wheel, the other wheel won't turn. You get a little random clicking as the LockRight "slips" (this with the trans out of gear...with it in gear, it is locked...as opposed to an open rear end where you can still turn a wheel even with it in gear). In a straight line, however, it is 100% locked...and locked immediately. Pretty nifty invention.

My guess is that with an automatic trans, it would be even more difficult to tell you have a LockRight back there.

Bottom line, if you can't live with the little lift throttle clunk, some tire chirps in rapid acceleration from a stop into a hard turn, and some clicking under certain turning conditions, the LockRight is not for you. If you want both rear wheels firmly planted during straight line acceleration and can live with the above, it's a real value...easy to install too.

Update...

I drove it some more today. VERY pleased. It is tough to tell you have a locker. Some clues as mentioned above, but nothing obnoxious. I took it on the freeway today. The 4.27's aren't as bad as I feared. The speedometer is clear off (natch), but 3600 RPM is a calculated 70 MPH. I was running 3000 at 70 with the 3.54's. 3600 isn't terrible.

I know a couple of you have recommended the Auburn limited slip. It probably works just fine with our Studebakers that aren't driven all that much and that don't experience a bunch of low traction situations, but...the downside is that the limited slip is accomplished by metal cones coming up against the carrier. Works good and provides more traction than the stock Dana set up, but wears out eventually. No replaceable parts. You go get a new one (and a new carrier I would guess) when it is used up. Also, Auburn specifies that you need
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Superb!
    I'll keep this in mind for next time....
    Let us know what it's like in the wet.
    Thanks for the follow up.
    That means a lot to us.
    Jeff[8D]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Superb!
      I'll keep this in mind for next time....
      Let us know what it's like in the wet.
      Thanks for the follow up.
      That means a lot to us.
      Jeff[8D]
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Cool deal Dick! Can't wait for that ride in South Bend! [8D]

Matthew Burnette
        Hazlehurst, Georgia
        '59 Scotsman PU
        '63 Daytona HT

Simply Orange

Comment

Cool deal Dick! Can't wait for that ride in South Bend! [8D]

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, Georgia
          '59 Scotsman PU
          '63 Daytona HT

Simply Orange

Comment

Next we want to see a track report Mr Steinkamp so us aspiring sometimes drag racers will know what we are up against next month. As for ourselves, we are heading for the 1/8th mile to make some practice runs tonight to see if we can improve on our 9.55 time in Phoenix last winter.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Next we want to see a track report Mr Steinkamp so us aspiring sometimes drag racers will know what we are up against next month. As for ourselves, we are heading for the 1/8th mile to make some practice runs tonight to see if we can improve on our 9.55 time in Phoenix last winter.
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Next we want to see a track report Mr Steinkamp
                I'm going to try to get up to Mission before I take off for South Bend...

Mission Raceway Park is one of BC’s premier Motorsports facilities. It plays host to 1/4 mile Drag Racing, Road Racing Course and all kinds of community events.

(I'm wondering if since it's in Canada if it's a half a kilometer track instead of a quarter mile [)])

Friday night grudge racing.

The hood and air dam are back from the painters on Thursday of next week. I still need to install the slapper bars. I leave for a couple of weeks in California on the 25th. Hopefully I can squeeze in a Friday night at Mission.

In any case, I'm not getting close to you or Lester at the South Bend drags...too embarrassing. I'm sticking to match races with farm trucks. [^] I've got an ego to feed you know.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Next we want to see a track report Mr Steinkamp
                  I'm going to try to get up to Mission before I take off for South Bend...

Mission Raceway Park is one of BC’s premier Motorsports facilities. It plays host to 1/4 mile Drag Racing, Road Racing Course and all kinds of community events.

(I'm wondering if since it's in Canada if it's a half a kilometer track instead of a quarter mile [)])

Friday night grudge racing.

The hood and air dam are back from the painters on Thursday of next week. I still need to install the slapper bars. I leave for a couple of weeks in California on the 25th. Hopefully I can squeeze in a Friday night at Mission.

In any case, I'm not getting close to you or Lester at the South Bend drags...too embarrassing. I'm sticking to match races with farm trucks. [^] I've got an ego to feed you know.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:I'm sticking to match races with farm trucks.[^]
                    You're on!

Matthew Burnette
                    Hazlehurst, Georgia
                    '59 Scotsman PU
                    '63 Daytona HT

Simply Orange

Comment

quote:I'm sticking to match races with farm trucks.[^]
                      You're on!

Matthew Burnette
                      Hazlehurst, Georgia
                      '59 Scotsman PU
                      '63 Daytona HT

Simply Orange

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

You're on!
                        Ok...but you've got to spot me 2 seconds. [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

You're on!
                          Ok...but you've got to spot me 2 seconds. [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Ok...but you've got to spot me 2 seconds.[^]
                            I can make that up. I've got that 352 Packard sitting between the fenders with dual 4 barrels, ya know... [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                            Hazlehurst, Georgia
                            '59 Scotsman PU
                            '63 Daytona HT

Simply Orange

Comment

quote:Ok...but you've got to spot me 2 seconds.[^]
                              I can make that up. I've got that 352 Packard sitting between the fenders with dual 4 barrels, ya know... [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                              Hazlehurst, Georgia
                              '59 Scotsman PU
                              '63 Daytona HT

Simply Orange

Comment

Working...
                              X