PDA

View Full Version : York - 2011 (Your Impressions)

DEEPNHOCK
03-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Thursday afternoon.
Weather: Clear and cool (40's)..Maybe some breeze.
Still some left to set up.
Nice items from some different vendors.
Lot's of the same stuff as years past.

Picked up my parts order(s) and bought some cool stuff.

Saw almost all of the old gang there, a dozen or so Truck Farmers, and a bunch of Canadians'... Great to see everyone there.

Had supper with Bob Palma, Jim Turner, Malcolm Berry, and Phil Harris.
Was supposed to grab a bite with Mike Myer and Linda Quantelbaum, but got shanghaied.

As a side note:
Hooters wi-fi is broken. Grilled cheese is still good.
Special was Sam Adam's seasonal cherry wheat.
Strangely satisfying, but only had a 'taster' glass (no beer...dieting).

Ron Dame
03-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Thursday afternoon.
Weather: Clear and cool (40's)..Maybe some breeze.
Still some left to set up.
Nice items from some different vendors.
Lot's of the same stuff as years past.

Picked up my parts order(s) and bought some cool stuff.

Saw almost all of the old gang there, a dozen or so Truck Farmers, and a bunch of Canadians'... Great to see everyone there.

Had supper with Bob Palma, Jim Turner, Malcolm Berry, and Phil Harris.
Was supposed to grab a bite with Mike Myer and Linda Quantelbaum, but got shanghaied.

As a side note:
Hooters wi-fi is broken. Grilled cheese is still good.
Special was Sam Adam's seasonal cherry wheat.

Say "HEY!" to Phil for me!

studebaker-R2-4-me
03-03-2011, 06:26 PM
If ya see those Canadians tomorrow get one to bring me back an R1/R2++ cam.

Allen

JDP
03-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Say "HEY!" to Phil for me!

Thinking of driving up in the AM, don't need a thing, but should stop in and say Hi.

53commander
03-03-2011, 06:53 PM
I'll be there all day Friday, hope to see/make some new friends.

DEEPNHOCK
03-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Here's some pic's from Thursday and Friday....
http://rides.webshots.com/album/579854937vNpWPV?vhost=rides

I hung around Friday to look at some parts for Pat Skelly, and ended up buying two more 2bbl intake cores and an air cleaner.
The headers, and Edmund dual deuce are from Thursday afternoon...
(Reason to get there early!)

(and some other 'goodies'..:p;))
http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/33222/2242813910038087468S600x600Q85.jpg

53commander
03-04-2011, 07:55 PM
I just got back, had a great time and picked up some good parts. I met a bunch of great people too. Thanks to Alan Mende for all the info! Stopped at Golden Corral for dinner on the way home, shouldn't have to eat for the next few days!

Bob Andrews
03-05-2011, 07:08 AM
The title asks for impressions... Mine is, awesome as always!:) good times, great cars, awesome people! Lots of fun Friday, good time at the STF dinner (even if I did have to sit next to Turner;). Didn't even get shot at leaving Sam and Tony's last night!

My goal for today is to get some time in actually looking at parts:) I spent all the time catching up with friends (and those who merely tolerate me) yesterday. That's my favorite part, but I do want to find out what they want for that complete S/C setup in the second building, for one:)

Just sitting down for breakfast at Alexander's with Jim Turner and Bob Palma, then off to an early start at the Meet. The group photo is at 11:30, then group lunch at Hooters, then head home.

To those who've never been to York: You should add it to your bucket list. Great times!:)

raprice
03-05-2011, 07:52 AM
I'm sorry that I couldn't make it this year. I love the York meet. Were there any good auto purchases made?
Rog

Bill Pressler
03-05-2011, 10:45 AM
I miss being there this year too. Looking forward to the group photo. Area friends Joe Kastellec and Ed Davies and Don Keller are there though.

jclary
03-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Here's some pic's from Thursday and Friday....
http://rides.webshots.com/album/579854937vNpWPV?vhost=rides

I hung around Friday to look at some parts for Pat Skelly, and ended up buying two more 2bbl intake cores and an air cleaner.
The headers, and Edmund dual deuce are from Thursday afternoon...
(Reason to get there early!)

(and some other 'goodies'..:p;))
http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/33222/2242813910038087468S600x600Q85.jpg

Jeff, Thanks for the pictures. In addition to recovering from surgery and all the misery that comes with it...I somehow managed to contract some type of flu-like virus that has knocked me off my feet for the past week.

Once I figured out where the "slide show" button was on your link, I was able to enjoy the pictures and get a flavor of what the swap meet is like. It has provided me with an enjoyable escape for what has been a pretty miserable week. Thanks for taking the pictures and sharing them with us.

rockne10
03-05-2011, 07:48 PM
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/rockne10/York%202011/P3050018-2.jpg?t=1299376072

jts359
03-05-2011, 08:54 PM
As a vendor we had another terrific year , Sales were good And we saw alot of old friends . And who could complain about the weather , Hats off to the Keystone Chapter

rockne10
03-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Missed Bill and Ellen Glass this year. Bill is not well and would certainly benefit from our well-wishes. Please take the time to send your prayers.

rockne10
03-05-2011, 09:50 PM
My impressions?

The crowds aren't what they used to be; can be blamed on the internet market and the cost of fuel; cannot be blamed on an aging collector car ownership. Our vehicles will survive us and a new generation of owners will need to maintain them.
The internet market cannot readily supply the minutiae needed to maintain these vehicles. Swap meets must survive.
They can only survive if those in need of parts show up to support the vendors. Without the sales to support their expenses vendors will throw in the towel.
The vendors are here and they have what we need. If we think we can maintain our vehicles by shopping online or going to internet auctions we are going to be sorely disappointed.
Not to mention the fact that congregating like this from time to time is a real gas.

G T Joe
03-06-2011, 07:33 AM
I had a great time missed a deal on some parts , can see how "Father Time" has changed the core of the York swap meet as far as parts, but no can controll the future good or bad , but each member in SDC , in some small way always makes the York swapmeet the stand out event that it is year after year.

N8N
03-06-2011, 08:03 AM
I didn't make it this year despite the fact that I'm closer than I've ever been. But I'm glad it's still going and hope to be back next year... will probably actually have to rent a space so I can clear out all the stuff I've collected that I know now that I'm not going to use...

nate

1954khardtop
03-06-2011, 08:11 AM
This was my second time at York, I thought it was great.
The internet sales and swap meets can co-exsist. I picked up parts there that were purchased via the internet. While there I bought from vendors, saw some friends and met some new ones.

DEEPNHOCK
03-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Most excellent observations.
I held back on my impression(s) because my perspective is skewed.
I had to banzai up there, shop in a hurry, socialize in a condensed version, and then run away back to work.
But, even with all that, I loved the short visit, and the chance to meet up and renew acquaintances, and make new friends.
As you pointed out, I did notice a big change in attendance, and I agree that the economy has changed that.
I do think that the aging of the marque owners and vendors has a factor.
There were some second generation vendors in attendance selling their late parents estate collections off.
Prices this year seemed to be very, very reasonable, and sellers were very cooperative.
The parts displayed were, well....a replay of years past.
If you have your Stude finished, then looking at, or digging through the pile(s) seems superfluous.
But, if you have started a restoration, or are looking for a neat Stude widget, then everything was a treasure hunt:p.
I have a new project that has a minuscule want list, but a very specific one.
I loved the search, and the find...and the chatting...
Still a much loved event, even if I missed half of it again.
And I apologize ahead of time to those I missed, or missed saying hello to.
Jeff:cool:

My impressions?

The crowds aren't what they used to be; can be blamed on the internet market and the cost of fuel; cannot be blamed on an aging collector car ownership. Our vehicles will survive us and a new generation of owners will need to maintain them.
The internet market cannot readily supply the minutiae needed to maintain these vehicles. Swap meets must survive.
They can only survive if those in need of parts show up to support the vendors. Without the sales to support their expenses vendors will throw in the towel.
The vendors are here and they have what we need. If we think we can maintain our vehicles by shopping online or going to internet auctions we are going to be sorely disappointed.
Not to mention the fact that congregating like this from time to time is a real gas.

DEEPNHOCK
03-06-2011, 08:34 AM
One thing I noticed (and maybe others have noticed, too)...
I found it a real big help to have the Forum name badges, and the Truck Farmer name badges on display.
I especially noticed that the Forum members that have their face on their Avatar pic's really helped.
(I struggle with remembering names anyways, and am envious of those that have the gift of remembering faces and names)
I am always forgetting to take my badges, and Stude biz cards with me....
So, after the last trade show I did, I saved the exhibitor name tag and neck lanyard.
Rounded up all of my buttons and Bows, and stuffed my Stude biz cards in the plastic name tag holder.
Looked kind of silly, but it helped a lot of people put a name to a face.
(Maybe that's why they wouldn't make eye contact, and turned and went the other way:rolleyes:)
So, in retrospect, names on shirts, or buttons, and pic's on profiles really help.

barnlark
03-06-2011, 08:45 AM
As a vendor we had another terrific year , Sales were good And we saw alot of old friends . And who could complain about the weather , Hats off to the Keystone Chapter
Ed, sorry I missed meeting you there in York this year. I'm glad I scooped up the rare nos tire cover and nos in-the-box lenses before you got there! Thank you for those goodies. Glad you had decent sales. It's always a gamble, but fun.

52 Ragtop
03-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Got back late last night. Crowds seemed to be down, but those that were there, WERE buying. I had a lot of "pre sold" parts, so I had a good meet. Always good to see everybody, Keystone Chapter did another great job. Next year, i plan on making brake hoses AT the meet!

Jim

Scotty Bob
03-06-2011, 10:46 AM
I made it Friday from 8:30 until 1:30. I made it Saturday from 9:30 until 1:00. I scored a 1950 Commander NOS water pump for $50.00 and a 1950 NOS Anticreep Solenoid for $40.00. Also got a 1950 NADA for $2.00, and some misc shop manuals, 3 in all, for $20.00. I already mentioned in another post that I picked up my $2500.00 order from SI so I can start adding parts to my bare frame...

This was my second year...I loved it...can't wait until next March...I will have to miss the July meet in Gettysburg due to another conflict...too bad.

Steve T
03-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Only my second York visit (first was 2010); overall impression was of slightly fewer cars and, on Friday anyway, seemed like fewer vendors too, but still more than worthwhile with lots of Eye Candy Studes. Had a terrific time. Even bought a Speedster ticket...futile though such a thing always is when you're me! The Lark doesn't need much right now, so I was really looking at models/toys more than actual car parts, and there was plenty to be had.

In point of fact I did not know until Thursday morning that I was going; with my current plans for returning to school, plus the uncertainty of my job situation, I had not planned on making York, but found out Thursday that in fact there was still room for me, so I threw everything together and took off for Paul Cronkwright's place near Smithville to meet up with the rest of the Hamilton/Ontario bunch. Seven of us went in two vehicles, a rented Dodge van and a '50 Willys Jeep panel truck. The Willys had fuel pump trouble en route but made it OK to York and back with some interim repairs.

I'll have a number of pix up on P'bucket soon (natch)...This'll be the last meet for a while I'm able to make, since I'll be in school fulltime through August, and hopefully gainfully employed after that...

Cheers

S.

MPlaia
03-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Someday. But the big question is - who won the Avanti in the raffle? Apparently it was not me, as I did not receive a notification. That would have fit pretty well in my life.

Roll on!

rockne10
03-06-2011, 04:48 PM
But the big question is - who won the Avanti in the raffle?Gene Schreiner in Arizona.

rusty65
03-06-2011, 05:28 PM
I would have replied to this post earlier,but I went right to bed when I got home yesterday;probably as a result of too much fun and the fact that I left my c-pap equipment at home.Spent the last 3 hours wire brushing, degreasing and shining up the set of Magnum 500s I scored at York.I'm like an inner-city kid with a new set of roller skates!
York was a blast this year as it always is.I did notice that there weren't as many people on Saturday as there were in years past.Still fun though.Made some new friends and got some goodies.Oh speaking of goodies,lunch at Hooters was-a hoot! York is (my wife and others get tired of me saying it)my Christmas, New Years and 4th of July all rolled into one.Been going for a bunch of years,and the Good Lord willing,I'm gonna hit it again next year!
Thanks, Keystone Chapter for another winner!!!!

BobPalma
03-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Had supper with Bob Palma, Jim Turner, Malcolm Berry, and Phil Harris.[/B]

I'll attest to the no beer-dieting; Jeff actually had a salad for his main course at supper Thursday evening! At Logan's Steakhouse, yet!

As to York proper, the availability of the same item at more than one vendor made price-shopping kinda fun. One piece of literature I wanted was offered by three different vendors in approximately the same condition (the literature, not the vendors). Prices were $5, $20, and $35! In true CASO fashion, and before Jim Turner chimes in to testify, I have the $5 one.

'Nice meet overall; 'glad to see enough folks around to again justify opening and using the second building.

Anyone know what the el-cheapo 1957 Scotsman 2-door sold for? It must have been sold right away. It was unusual in that the tires were weather-checked and well dry-rotted, but were matched and apparently "brand new;" they had "hair" on them! It was like someone pulled into the tire shop 40-odd years ago, ordered a set of tires installed, and they backed out the car with the new set of tires and the owner never picked it up and it sat on the back of the tire shop's lot for 40-odd years on what had been brand-new tires when mounted, never used. Odd.

A nice time at York. Some of the best weather imaginable and good times, seeing friends and such. Thanks to Keystone Region for another nice job. And best wishes to Bill "Bondo Billy" Glass, unable to attend due to medical troubles. 'Too many folks in sick bay of late, for sure. BP

Lenny R2
03-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Had a GREAT time at York bought lots of parts that i needed &some i didnt need.
Walked my feet off, went to the STF dinner & had some good food at a diner near the meet
hotel going to S.B meet next year i hope.

Bob Andrews
03-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Another great time that went by too fast! Great to see dear friend Frank Drumheller up and around. Also loved seeing so many good friends I don't get too see nearly enough. As usual, the biggest negative was that, try as I might, I was not able to meet up with everyone I had hoped to:( Enjoyed the STF dinner at Sam and Tony's as always, except for Jim Sinclair hogging all those really good rolls;). I did get to spend a LOT of time chatting with some folks and getting to know them better. The Second Annual York Hooters lunch was a fun time; our new King of Wings is Ernie Stoltzfus- beat me hands-down! Next year we hope to increase the number of attendees.

Thanks to the hosts, organizers, and attendees for making this another memorable event, and for all the fun we had looking at stuff, talking Studes, and goofing around. And, special thanks to Jim Sinclair for the bag of guilt rolls presented to me Saturday morning:)

DEEPNHOCK
03-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Well...It was a steak salad:rolleyes::p

I'll attest to the no beer-dieting; Jeff actually had a salad for his main course at supper Thursday evening! At Logan's Steakhouse, yet!
<snip>
BP