PDA

View Full Version : 1959 Lark - rough idea of value

JimC
03-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Howdy everyone.

I'm not new to the world of Studebaker by a long shot. I've been slowly rebuilding my grandpa's old Lark for probably about five years now. (By slowly, I mean VERY slowly - haven't finished the "deconstruction" phase yet!) I was even a member of the forum, though the email account associated with my old username is no longer in use, so I couldn't reset the password.

At any rate, I have a question regarding the value of a '59 Lark VI. I know someone who is selling one, and I have to tell you, the prospect of having a "daily driver" while I work on the garaged one is really tempting. Here's what I know about the car already:

-59 Lark VI
-Two door Coupe
-DeLuxe trim
-About 50,000 miles
-Original paint, dulled with some surface rust in typical places, but no rust-through that I can see in photos.
-Runs and drives and is being used as a daily driver.

That's all I know so far, as I haven't been out to inspect the car yet. I assume the floor pans will be rough, and it will have typical Lark issues, but at the same time I don't want to make too much speculation.

So anyway, can anyone throw out a ballpark for what this car might be worth? The seller wants $4000, which seems a bit high given it's condition, but I wanted to know what you all thought.

On a slightly related topic, I recall some time back finding a website that had a chart showing exactly how many Larks of each model were made. Does anyone know where to find that?

Thank thee kindly.

JDP
03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Howdy everyone.

I'm not new to the world of Studebaker by a long shot. I've been slowly rebuilding my grandpa's old Lark for probably about five years now. (By slowly, I mean VERY slowly - haven't finished the "deconstruction" phase yet!) I was even a member of the forum, though the email account associated with my old username is no longer in use, so I couldn't reset the password.
At any rate, I have a question regarding the value of a '59 Lark VI. I know someone who is selling one, and I have to tell you, the prospect of having a "daily driver" while I work on the garaged one is really tempting. Here's what I know about the car already:

-59 Lark VI
-Two door Coupe
-DeLuxe trim
-About 50,000 miles
-Original paint, dulled with some surface rust in typical places, but no rust-through that I can see in photos.
-Runs and drives and is being used as a daily driver.

That's all I know so far, as I haven't been out to inspect the car yet. I assume the floor pans will be rough, and it will have typical Lark issues, but at the same time I don't want to make too much speculation.

So anyway, can anyone throw out a ballpark for what this car might be worth? The seller wants $4000, which seems a bit high given it's condition, but I wanted to know what you all thought.

On a slightly related topic, I recall some time back finding a website that had a chart showing exactly how many Larks of each model were made. Does anyone know where to find that?

Thank thee kindly.

We'll have this one on ebay with a rebuilt six a NOS 3 speed overdrive next week, and I'd be shocked to see it bring that kind of money.

StudeRich
03-02-2011, 11:44 PM
The Two Door Sedans prior to '63 were all "Deluxe" Trim, and that is the plain Jane bottom Model.

A Six Cylinder does not have much value unless it is a perfect original specimen. About $1000.00 to $2500.00 is avarage price for Good condition drivers. Deduct for flintstone floors! :D

barnlark
03-03-2011, 04:02 AM
Jim, as a 6 cylinder, DeLuxe interior trim Lark, it's probably not worth the asking 4K. Rich's price range mentioned above is about dead on. We've previously discussed this, but my original 1959-1960 only parts book actually lists an F6 (Regal) in it's model types. It has been deemed another parts book typo here. Also as previously mentioned, this one is a DeLuxe, so it is the lowest trim level 2 door sedan even though it is listed as a "coupe". Probably worth $2K max, IMO.
There were a total of 131,075 Larks built for 1959. Not sure about the 1959 2 door sedan numbers, but there were 24,605 built for the 1960 model year. Skinny's Garage & others will have that 1959 sedan answer. Keep us updated and good luck.

jackb
03-03-2011, 09:49 AM
In CA, with 1000's of old cars to choose from....even if the floors are decent (rubber may ?), I can't see a DD of this description going for any more than $1000. My definition of a DD is one that won't be restored. Will only be kept in inspection level condition.....No real future except maybe as an entry level car for an aspiring youngster...Even back here in Mass, with an assumed CA body......I'd expect lots of turn-aways for more than $1500.......

JimC
03-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the input so far. I was thinking that the value was along the same lines that you've all offered. I'm going to try to arrange to go look at the car today, and depending on the condition of the thing we'll see if I even make an offer. From the sounds of it, the person selling the car is the son-in-law of the original owner, so I suspect he might just see a 52 year old car made by an extinct company and assume it has a high value based on those facts.

JDP
03-03-2011, 12:04 PM
In CA, with 1000's of old cars to choose from....even if the floors are decent (rubber may ?), I can't see a DD of this description going for any more than $1000. My definition of a DD is one that won't be restored. Will only be kept in inspection level condition.....No real future except maybe as an entry level car for an aspiring youngster...Even back here in Mass, with an assumed CA body......I'd expect lots of turn-aways for more than $1500.......

Now that I desagree with, Sal and me will be north of $2500 in a Calfornia six with overdrive I bought back after selling it for over2K years ago. It's just a average rust free Calfornia Lark, but with a rebuilt engine and NOS OD. I expect it to sell in the $3000-$3500 range since it's a cute, little two door, but we'll see.