PDA

View Full Version : C/K Foot Wells

woodysrods
03-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Well the time has come. The rust repairs to Sandi's 61 Hawk are nearing completion.
Floors are already fixed.....but as the job progressed I looked at the foot wells every day.
They are in good shape, but I keep thinking about how much exhaust clearance I would have if they were not there! Questions like "Are they really needed?" How much easier will it be to re carpet the floor if they are not there? Will it be more or less comfortable for rear seat passengers? Will it make seat belt instalation simpler?
Lets' hear what you Forum guys have to say!
Thanks
Good Roads
Brian

Studedude
03-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Lets' hear what you Forum guys have to say!
Questions like;

Are they really needed?

Nope.

How much easier will it be to re carpet the floor if they are not there?

A little.

Will it be more or less comfortable for rear seat passengers?

Adult rear seat passengers will be bent like a pretzel, and will be miserable either way. Kids won't know, or care.

Will it make seat belt installation simpler?

Don't see how that would have any bearing on it.

If I were doing floor board work anyway, I might take 'em out... but, I didn't on mine.

junior
03-01-2011, 03:24 PM
If I had my car in the state your cars are in, I would take them out...like the name says, these are FOOTwells, as only one of my size 11 feet fit in, so they are pretty much useless for FEET, and as Dave stated, adults don't like to sit in back,(footwells or not) because either way they will be hitting their chins on their kneecaps. When taken out, the interior looks so much cleaner with a flat floor, plus in my car I really needed rubber floormats (muddy back alley) and the flat floor made getting floormats to work so much easier. (I cut blocks of extruded foam to fit the footwells to make a flat floor) As Dave stated, kids don't care (at least mine didn't). Removal would indeed help clean-up the muffler install. Just some thoughts. Junior.

Pat Dilling
03-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I'll jump on this bandwagon, in my opinion they are pretty much useless. I still have mine, but they are covered up to make carpeting easier and a cleaner appearance. On the rare occasion that adults ride in my back seat they don't seem to mind and the kids don't care either. Removing them definitely cleans up the undercarriage for other things such as exhaust as you mentioned.

Pat

Captain Billy
03-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Brian

These were one of the first things to go on my 53 they are now sitting on a shelf. As has been said, good enough for one foot, maybe that's why they put in two of them.... while removing them gives much more room for exhaust routing and mufflers.

Who wants to sit in the back anyway.

oltrknut
03-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Take em out Brian, they serve no purpose these days, Allen

Anne F. Goodman
03-01-2011, 05:28 PM
I always end up in the back of the Hawks when we go somewhere my neighbor goes with us he's 80. So I sit in the back. Only one of my feet goes in there too I don't usually put my feet in them I sit kinda sideways and us the other foot space. So given a choice I would remove them. Makes it easier to get out of back there. You have to be a contortionist to get in and out of those seats. Your wife will like it better. Easier to clean too. Thats it thats the way to sell it.

silverhawk
03-01-2011, 07:08 PM
I agree. After a few rides in our chapter presidents '62 G.T (Man, LOVED that car! Kinda want one now actually. Someday.....) for more extended periods of time, I stopped using them. My clod hoppers (12s) rendered them useless to me. Take 'em out :D

ralt12
03-01-2011, 07:34 PM
What they look like with a flat floor, bare metal:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283/ralt12/DSCN2382.jpg

and covered with LizardSkin
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283/ralt12/IMG_0449.jpg

I figured there weren't going to be that many adults in the back anyway, and I wanted the under-car room for mufflers.

rockne10
03-01-2011, 08:46 PM
I left mine in and still had room for mufflers; actually thought about going to the trouble of enlarging them; there's also room for that.

sweetolbob
03-01-2011, 08:55 PM
What they look like with a flat floor, bare metal:

and covered with LizardSkin

I figured there weren't going to be that many adults in the back anyway, and I wanted the under-car room for mufflers.

First off, Continued nice work, you still need to post more.

Secondly, I'm curious why you chose Lizard Skin? Easier application, better insulation, less cost or ????

Just curious when I take on another project.

Bob

ralt12
03-01-2011, 09:24 PM
First off, Continued nice work, you still need to post more.

Secondly, I'm curious why you chose Lizard Skin? Easier application, better insulation, less cost or ????

Just curious when I take on another project.

Bob

Well, thanks; don't want to hijack Brian's thread, but the Porsche 356 guys had some problems with Dynamat's adhesive backing coming loose on the bare roof (in the heat of parts of Southern California, well into triple digits) and falling into the gap between the headliner and the roof. Oops. So I looked for another way, and this is just one. Application is a job left to your painter, cause he will need a special gun. It's really thick, but I have to say that Dynamat is going to find its way onto the car regardless, in a lot of spots.

junior
03-01-2011, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=ralt12;530518]What they look like with a flat floor, bare metal:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s283/ralt12/DSCN2382.jpg

Wow, Ralt12, this is awesome work! Junior

woodysrods
03-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Did they just use a "Shultz Gun" used for rockguarding?
And yes I agree with Junior NICE WORK.
I thinks Sandi's foot wells are history tomorow!
Brian

woodysrods
03-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Now the Domino Theory starts! Withe the "Foot Wells" gone, for more exhaust clearance.....what about those under seat heaters?
61 Hawks have one on each side.
Brian

Jack
03-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Been wondering what to do with mine. Now I know. You guys made it easy. Thanks.

ralt12
03-01-2011, 11:49 PM
I'd love to take credit for that metalwork, but I'm not that talented.

jclary
03-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Am I missing something here? I thought I had read somewhere that the geometry of the floor pans were engineered in a way to contribute to the overall rigidity of the vehicle when bolted to the frame.

I have read somewhere that frame flexing was a problem on these cars and had to be addressed from time to time. Would eliminating too many of the right angles stamped into these body components not affect the rigidness and structural integrity of the vehicle?

Just wondering.

ralt12
03-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Am I missing something here? I thought I had read somewhere that the geometry of the floor pans were engineered in a way to contribute to the overall rigidity of the vehicle when bolted to the frame.

I have read somewhere that frame flexing was a problem on these cars and had to be addressed from time to time. Would eliminating too many of the right angles stamped into these body components not affect the rigidness and structural integrity of the vehicle?

Just wondering.

For me, John, frame flexing is not an issue; I don't have the stock frame. Others will have to make that judgement for themselves.

junior
03-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Now the Domino Theory starts! Withe the "Foot Wells" gone, for more exhaust clearance.....what about those under seat heaters?
61 Hawks have one on each side.
Brian

Hi Brian...about those heater core wells...hey this is Canada...leave them in, there is no such thing as too much heat in a car, at least by my standards. Yesterday the temp. 'soared' to a high of -24C, we've been getting brutal weather the past while. Also, the 'heater wells' really pose no real problem for the exhaust system because the transmission & batwing &center bearing x-member are all obstructions that are also in the way of the exhaust system in the same general area...just some more thoughts. Junior.

woodysrods
03-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Too late Junior!
The foot wells and "Both" underseat heaters are gone from Sandi's Hawk.
But rember the domino theory I mentioned??
Well now I don't want the trans filler hole or the Master cylinder filler hole. So I need a tranny pan and dipstick that go to the firewall....I believe a 62 works?? but, not sure.
And I will need a master cylinder with a remote resevoir that will work with the Turner disc brake conversion kit I have for the car. (Stock drums on rear)
Thanks
Brian

Jerry Forrester
03-24-2011, 05:32 AM
Too late Junior!
The foot wells and "Both" underseat heaters are gone from Sandi's Hawk.
But rember the domino theory I mentioned??
Well now I don't want the trans filler hole or the Master cylinder filler hole. So I need a tranny pan and dipstick that go to the firewall....I believe a 62 works?? but, not sure.
And I will need a master cylinder with a remote resevoir that will work with the Turner disc brake conversion kit I have for the car. (Stock drums on rear)
Thanks
Brian
This is the master cyl. and resevoir I used.

woodysrods
03-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks Jerry
That looks perfect.
I knew somebody would come thru. What front calipers did you use?
Brian

Jerry Forrester
03-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks Jerry
That looks perfect.
Brian
My good buddy Jim Turner's kit of course.

8E45E
03-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Questions like "Are they really needed?"

Unless you were a Studebaker salesman in 1954, NO!

I explain in this thread, http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?2238-This-might-be-a-stupid-question!&highlight=footwells ,it was to make the 'Rear legroom' dimension appear good or at least 'acceptable' on paper.

Craig

junior
03-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks Jerry
That looks perfect.
Brian
Brian, I used the same m/c as Jerry did (I stumbled across his photos while surfing a long while back) and it works well. I don't know what he got his resevoir off of, but mine didn't look any thing like his, perhaps it's because I had pulled mine from a Quest and his was from a Villager, the m/c's are the same so I assumed the resevoirs would be the same too. I made a bracket to mount the resevoir on the driver's side inner fender by the steering column. Referring to the calipers, did you try Monte Carlo/Malibu calipers and there is no room to install the brake hoses on them because the steering arm is in the way?? That's what happened on my coupe, so I called Jim Turner, and he suggested Chevy S-10 calipers. I used that idea, but had to cut the caliper casting to rotate the hose 90 degrees so it would not get pinched by the frame. If this is your problem, let me know and I will get the S10 info, and furnish photos of what I had to do and of the resevoir bracket. Hope this helps. Junior ps, when you get time, email the Buick ragtop photos.

Flashback
03-24-2011, 08:08 PM
If you don't mind filling the m/c thru the floor, you can use the one in the tech articles.
I used this on mine. And the newer s-10 4-wd calipers bolt on.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/53getsexhaust016.jpg

woodysrods
03-24-2011, 09:41 PM
It is the filling thru the floor that I am trying to eliminate.
I have the Turner economy kit and have the list of suggested rotors and calipers.
But Thanks.

Oh and PS to Junior
Sorry I forgot to send Buick pictures
I will change computers and do that right now.
Brian

Jerry Forrester
03-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Brian, I don't know what he got his resevoir off of,

Datsun (pre Nissan) pick up.

woodysrods
03-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks Jerry
I think I may have one out in the barn???? But is the bore size large enough? And that is getting pretty old, I like the mid 90's suggestion.
Brian

Jerry Forrester
03-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks Jerry
I think I may have one out in the barn???? But is the bore size large enough? And that is getting pretty old, I like the mid 90's suggestion.
Brian
Brian, reread my post.