Bumper Rechromer--Delaware or Md for Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper Rechromer--Delaware or Md for Avanti

Just took possesion of my "new" 63 Avanti, and one of the first items for replacement is the front and rear bumpers. Prefer a "local" rechrome and repair facility. Not looking for "show" quality just decent straightening and plating from someone familiar with Avanti bumpers. Any leads??

Fred

Other than putting an SBC in a Stude or why there are too many Bob's on the forum, this is probably the next most discussed topic.

When that happens, answers can be difficult to come by. Just use the search function in the upper right hand corner and you will find numerous posts on the same question.

Bob

Comment

My name is Bob and I have a custom 62 GT with a sbc in it and I would check out Dick Lindsey in Ohio and he will more likeley than not be in York and might have one in stock.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

I assume he is a SDC member? How do I get in touch if not?

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
          Just took possesion of my "new" 63 Avanti, and one of the first items for replacement is the front and rear bumpers. Prefer a "local" rechrome and repair facility. Not looking for "show" quality just decent straightening and plating from someone familiar with Avanti bumpers. Any leads??
          I've used
          Baltimore Chrome & Plating, 419 N Exeter St, Baltimore, MD 21202, 410-539-4111 (Phone) I had good luck with them, but that was a few years ago.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Take your bumpers to the York, PA swap meet this weekend. Jerry Forrester is usually there and does chroming. You can leave them with him and he'll ship them back when done. He may even have bumpers already chromed for sale and you can give him yours in trade for core value. Look him up and talk to him about it.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

whatever you do do NOT use The Chrome Factory in Capitol Heights! They had the beltline trim for my '64 'vert for over a year! to add insult to injury when I gave the trim to Jim Turner (who'd by that time bought the car) he told me later that the curve was off.

I'd checked with Jerry and also Librandi's and both passed due to the necessity of soldering together two pieces of pot metal to make each piece of trim, otherwise I would have used one of those shops, who have received good reviews here.

I'd not bother with Qual-Krom as I was a little disappointed in the quality of a few pieces that I had them do for my '55. I think Jerry Forrester did a far better job on the one taillight housing I had him do, Qual-Krom's reputation notwithstanding.

nate
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I used Graves Plating on my 399 point GT Hawk and the work was exceptional. They took out every factory wave and added maybe a pound of copper/nickle/chrome to this grill shell for example. Not cheap, but over the top, over restored quality.

Chrome, Nickel, Copper, Brass and Gold Plating
                JDP Maryland

Comment

I'll check out all the suppliers mentioned. Can't be at the meet in York due to prior commitments and I haven't yanked them off yet. Car is in De and I'm in Va 3 1/2 hours away. From JDP's picture I won't be using Graves--I need waves in the bumpers to match the Avanti's fiberglass!! Love the Hawk, John, reminds me of my white 63, 289 4 speed, Avanti brakes with hill holder and manual steering, that I bought in 1965 used for $1800.00. That 64 grille was always the best one.

Comment

Fred, where in VA? There are a couple of us in northern VA that have the 63s. Re chrome. I would not recommend Labrandi. They did a terrible job on my early car radiator surround, which also took a year to get back to me. And they charged me top dollar to boot. I will never use them again. I am going to go with Jerry F. when I get mine redone. John
                    John
                    1963 Avanti R2
                    Marshall, VA

Comment

Stay away from Baltimore Chrome, Armour chrome and plating or what ever they call their self these days on Exeter st. Finally got it back but they did absolutely nothing in a year and a half.

Comment

Jerry was at York last year but haven't heard if he will be this weekend.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by unimogjohn View Post
                          Fred, where in VA? There are a couple of us in northern VA that have the 63s. Re chrome. I would not recommend Labrandi. They did a terrible job on my early car radiator surround, which also took a year to get back to me. And they charged me top dollar to boot. I will never use them again. I am going to go with Jerry F. when I get mine redone. John
                          I'm in south Chesapeake, but car is stored at my home in south Delaware. Sent a PM to Jerry F didn't get a response.
                          Fred

Comment

I did not get the PM.
                            I will not be at York this year.
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
                            X