Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An ambitious project (sad pictures)What would you offer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An ambitious project (sad pictures)What would you offer?

Joe Roberts and I went and looked at what is supposed to be a 27 Studebaker 2 door sedan. The poor thing has been out in the weather since sometime in the sixties. The wood is rotten throughout the car, thus it is collapsing in on itself.
    I think that there are still some salvageable parts on the car so I made an offer on it. If the owner sells it to me, it will be quite the adventure just getting this thing loaded in one piece.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by starliner62; 03-01-2011, 03:28 PM.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

It is sad to see that car gone to that condition, but after seeing what another did to that Stoddard Dayton, this wouldnt be impossible. My mind thinks now, being that the wood is so rotten on this car, has any one or group in the club start a template library for wood framing such as what would be needed in this car? Maybe not a bad idea one would think. Two or more have copies in case one of them became unavailable sometime. Mr Palma, what do you think?
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Lots of the antique guys have restored car by car, and most have to make patterns from old parts, or engineer one until the car fits. There are patterns floating around if you ask. A 'collection' of them is a great idea.

Comment

Jeez. Watch out for wasps and spiders. Cause if I were a wasp or spider that's where I'd be.

Comment

Was working on a car that had been sitting for 10 years and had my hand in a dark spot where it didn't belong. End result was a Brown Recluse bite on my wrist. It took over 6 months to heal. Nasty. I wear gloves now.

Comment

That is a Standard 6/Dictator, but it isn't a 27, probably a 1925 model ER. This car has wood spoked wheels, so it does not have 4 wheel brakes. All 27 Studes had disc wheels because they had 4 wheel brakes. The brake geometry did not make front wheel brakes compatible with wood spoked wheels at that point.

Also, it has a clock on the left side of the dash. Only early ER's had a clock, initially on the left side with speedometer on the right. On later ones they changed places. Late ER's and EU 1927 Dictators did not have a clock.

The junction block on the firewall is for a firewall mounted flat oil filter. On EU Dictators the filter was round and mounted on the right front of the engine.

The headlights are not correct, likely early 30's or aftermarket.

There should be another tag on the right side of the firewall with model id on it. It will likely say ER. Two door coaches were designated F.

Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry,
              I had a sneaky feeling that it was a little older than a 27. I hope be able to get it out of the woods and save what we can. It is a shame beacuse the car is mostly complete. I think the headlights have Hella stamped on the tags on top of the housings.
              Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
              1955 Commander Sedan
              1964 Champ
              1960 Lark

Comment

What a wonderful find, in any event. Sort of gets the adrenalin going wondering where that car has taken people.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Jamie
                  I got the 454/400 combo ready..................
                  Jack White
                  Charlotte,NC
                  North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                    Thanks Terry,
                    I had a sneaky feeling that it was a little older than a 27. I hope be able to get it out of the woods and save what we can. It is a shame beacuse the car is mostly complete. I think the headlights have Hella stamped on the tags on top of the housings.
                    Looks like the headlights might be an aftermarket sealed beam conversion. Had some like them on a 32 Ford I bought years ago.

Comment

Apparently, I made the owner of this car mad by giving her a lowball offer. I really hate making offers on anything, just give me a price. How much would you guys offer on this car? It has been sitting in the same spot for probably 45 years. The top is completely gone and the cowl and windshield is leaning towards the back half of the car. You cant close the doors because the opening is way too small. No interior(of course) and who knows what lies underneath it. The only upside is that the complete drivetrain is there, untouched. The fenders may be salvageable along with the grille shell. I know very little about pre-war cars and any help would be appreciated. I hate to see this car return to Mother Earth but that may be it's fate.
                      Jamie McLeod
                      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                      1955 Commander Sedan
                      1964 Champ
                      1960 Lark

Comment

Working...
                      X