Muffler interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffler interchange

Are there any mufflers that could be used with two inch pipes, used on larks or hawks,
    that can be bought over the counter in car parts stores?

Thanks

Paul

Check out Flowmasters website. Google it. The sizes are all there.
    Good Roads
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by pszikszai View Post
      Are there any mufflers that could be used with two inch pipes, used on larks or hawks,
      that can be bought over the counter in car parts stores? Thanks, Paul
      Most inexpensive Parts Store Mufflers would need one or two 2 1/4" adapters to fit the 2 inch Exhaust Pipes, and 1 3/4" (or 2 in. Custom) Tailpipes.
      You want a offset Inlet and a "Centered" Outlet Muffler.

What a CRAZY Website Flowmasters has! The ONLY way I found to get ANY info on a muffler is to say you have a '64 Chevy. Malibu, and then all you get is 2 1/2 inch IN and OUT! ...BAH!

No older than '64, NO Studebaker, NO Muffler Specs nothing! I guess if you really want to know anything you gotta CALL!
      Then you would probably get someone who would ask: What Make and Model? If you don't lie and say "Chevrolet" you would probably get the Standard Question... WHO makes Studebaker? Duh!

I was looking for somewhere to enter the pipe sizes, Offset, Length, Width etc. etc. and Shop for a Muffler that fits, no such animal!
      Last edited by StudeRich; 02-27-2011, 01:39 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think Walker makes more OEM sizes that may be closer than most to fitting right and sounding good on a stude.

Comment

Short of $25 glass packs, it's a wasted effort. There is no direct interchange and what's the point ? A brand X muffler and some adapters might save you $10 if you are lucky, over the correct vendor muffler.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Flowmaster dimensions are 19 inches long, 5 inches tall, 10 inches wide, 13 inch case. They are available in about any arrangement. Offset inlet, center outlet, works on a Stude. Most are 2.5 inches in and out, but others are available. These dimensions are for all of the mufflers in the series 40 family. They are too short to replace a stock Studebaker muffler, so I welded in a short pipe on both ends to make a total length of 26 inches. Then they slipped right in.
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
              Short of $25 glass packs, it's a wasted effort. There is no direct interchange and what's the point ? A brand X muffler and some adapters might save you $10 if you are lucky, over the correct vendor muffler.
              A lot of truth in those words, but if you want to see sizes, go to the Magnaflow site, http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/02muffler.asp and use the quick search on the page. They are stainless but should give an idea of the sizes available. Your flaps should be able to find a size to match in their favorite brand if you need a size that's listed.

By the way, I put a couple on the 83 Avanti and a very nice quality, deep sounding muffler.

Bob

Comment

Working...
              X