• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls gone fishing 1919

Great photo on eBay now.

Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Pretty crazy Women for their time, aren't they?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Must have still had their waders on from their drive out of town from the last South Bend meet. <GGG>

Comment

Whats with the Studebaker banner on the windshield ?

Comment

What's with the headlights?
          I've seem a lot of brass/teen-era cars (either in photos or in person) and I've never seem lights like that.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Is this being advertised as an original photo?
            If so check out the wrist watches on two of the girls. Where is the potographer standing with his old fasion tripod held camera and antique flash, and why is he there? I am thinking zoom lens and modern day set up for photo shoot. Good eye on the banner.....it is the first give away.
            Somewtimes ebay sceptical! But nice photo.
            Good Roads
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Lot of mythic content here. Are they Fishers of Men, or Delmar & Pete's Si-reens?

Or maybe the one casts it out, one measures, and t'other cuts it off...
              I won't even mention eye of newt, because they're too good-lookin'.

Sure, they have a nice car and look like just the sort of girls a fellow would like to meet, but be honest:
              if you stumbled across this scene, wouldn't it kind of give you the willies?
              Says a guy who only goes fishing with three women. Hey, one's my sister. Nothing weird about that.

Comment

If the photo is old, it's in very good shape.

But..the women sure look period to me. Hair, clothes, make-up...all look perfect for a period photo.
                And remember, this likely would have been an advertising photo with models, not some candid snapshot of three local girls at the fishin' spot.
                And wristwatches were the new "in thing" after WWI, so maybe these women, (likely models) were trendsetters.
                Last edited by JBOYLE; 02-27-2011, 04:54 PM.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I rebuild and repair bamboo flyrods for a hobby and those are genuine period flyrods and wicker creels. I would say for sure the picture circa is pretty accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                    What's with the headlights?
                    I've seem a lot of brass/teen-era cars (either in photos or in person) and I've never seem lights like that.
                    The Headlights are correct . Click image for larger version

Name:	1919.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1667389
                    Last edited by davepink53; 02-27-2011, 04:38 PM. Reason: added photo
                    Dave Pink
                    Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
                    1925 ER Tourer
                    1925 Panel Delivery
                    1953 Champion Sedan
                    1957 Golden Hawk
                    1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                    http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Yes, They used a tripod to hold large view-camera. You can see both the water running and the fish so blurry during long exposure time on slow speed film. How oddity the all girls seems steady and in sharp!
                      Last edited by 57 Silver Hawk; 02-27-2011, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I was wondering if the girls were added later...no one is casting a shadow...but the car is.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I was going to comment on the headlights being correct, I have one sitting on the bench but was not sure what year/s it fits. I know it is a Stude.

Comment

Everything was legit in that image. I was watching it all week. If you will check the auction below it was not a photo that was for sale but the original negative. The negative sold for $224.50!!
                            See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130487326633
                            Richard Quinn
                            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Wow, 6-1/2 X 8-1/2 neg. That leaves my enlarger out! What a great shot. Looks like, maybe, a typical midwest cloudy day with the soft shadows. Can anyone distinguish the license plate? I just figured it was a factory photo shoot showing the versatility of the car. The use of "sexy girls" in the auction is a bit ridiculous and a typical ebay search tactic, but what a great idea for a shoot. The water must have been rushing by fairly fast to keep the models sharp during their movement at a semi-slow shutter speed. All it takes is one good exposure! Pretty decent price for a negative. Thanks for sharing the link to it, Gary, and extra info, RQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X