Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone installed a Hydraulic clutch in a Lark??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone installed a Hydraulic clutch in a Lark??

I'm looking for anyone with experience installing a hydraulic clutch in a Lark. My '62 is currently a 6 cylinder automatic and I'm switching to a Chevy V8 and Muncie 4 speed. I have a stock stick shift pedal assembly that I want to use and looking at the firewall it looks like it will be a very tight fit to get a Master cyliber in there. I also plan to change the single circut brake M/C to a dual, so won't be using the stock brake M/C. The stock brake M/C has a wide mounting flange because it bolts thru to the pedal assembly. If I use an aftermarket (like Wildwood) brake M/C, it may fit because it's narrower than the stock brake M/C. I have also thought about a remote reservoir for the clutch M/C but the space issue is still the same for the M/C itself.

Any thoughts or experience that anyoneshare will really be appreciated.

I am in the middle of doing that now on a 63 T-cab.

Comment

How are planning to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie View Post
        How are planning to do it?
        The way I did it on a C-K was to add a matching master cylinder on the other side of the frame with a hydralic throwout bearing, piece of cake.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

I should have seen that it is a 62. Now those have through the floor pedals. My 63 has hanging pedals. But it is the same as Larks.

Comment

Nope. 62's also have the hanging pedals. It was the first year. Yours should be the same as mine.

Comment

I think the way I've seen it done before is using a stock brake MC mounted inside the frame for the clutch... if you are using a Chevy/Muncie combo you ought to be able to find a bellhousing for a slave cylinder fairly easily, or just use a hydraulic release bearing... The latter might be easier although not as serviceable as if you use an aftermarket bellhousing it likely won't have the pad for the stock style rear engine mount.

nate
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie View Post
                I'm looking for anyone with experience installing a hydraulic clutch in a Lark. My '62 is currently a 6 cylinder automatic and I'm switching to a Chevy V8 and Muncie 4 speed. I have a stock stick shift pedal assembly that I want to use and looking at the firewall it looks like it will be a very tight fit to get a Master cyliber in there. I also plan to change the single circut brake M/C to a dual, so won't be using the stock brake M/C. The stock brake M/C has a wide mounting flange because it bolts thru to the pedal assembly. If I use an aftermarket (like Wildwood) brake M/C, it may fit because it's narrower than the stock brake M/C. I have also thought about a remote reservoir for the clutch M/C but the space issue is still the same for the M/C itself
                Any thoughts or experience that anyoneshare will really be appreciated.
                Dougie, check your PM

Comment

I don't know if you are aware, but, all the 61-up Lark type frames have the bracket on them to bolt stock mechanical linkage in place. (right behind the steering box).
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I just checked and I see it. Now you're getting me to thinking.

Comment

Working...
                    X