PDA

View Full Version : First time going to York? A primer

Bob Andrews
02-26-2011, 08:25 AM
This will be my fourth year of attending the York Swap Meet. I have really fond memories from each one, and look forward to it each year. But I do remember what it was like to make the trek the first time...

Some tips:

Personally I am usually not shy. The exception is the first time I attend some kind of gathering alone. It was hard for me to just wade in and try to meet people in a group where I have never been previously involved. It might help to wear a name tag with your name AND forum name. BondoBill used to sell Forum buttons for $1. Don't know if he'll be there this year or if he still has them, but you could make your own. JDP once wrote his initials crudely with masking tape on the back of his jacket<G> Served the purpose though!

Start by looking closely at all the Studes in attendance. There will be cars in the Corral for sale as well as several parked around the event. If you love Studes, your head will be spinning!

Take the time to look through the piles and tables of parts and related goodies that each vendor has. Every year I come across something I hadn't really remembered I wanted/needed until I came across it; and many times it was not in plain sight, but found digging through stuff.

Don't forget to check out BOTH buildings! They are right together, but some have passed by the second one not realizing it was part of the show.

TAKE YOUR TIME. The Meet overall isn't gigantic, but there's a lot to easily overlook if you rush. Sensory overload! Make several laps around- there's always stuff being moved in and out.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL- Be sure to bring your SMILE:) If you choose you can keep your eyes down and avoid interaction; but I recommend looking up and smiling! If you want to meet folks, everyone has their own techniques. You can start with the people from the Forum. Look for the Forum buttons. Be sure to find Jim Turner's table with the brake displays. If SI is there it will be pretty big; you can usually find Ed Reynolds there moving about taking care of customers. If you find tables with an amazing array of new-looking carbs, distributors, etc. you've found Dave Thiebault's area. Lots of forum members will be there; it's just a matter of connecting.

Bring a little money to spend! The vendors go to a lot of effort (and expense!) to be there for us, and they are the heart of the Meet. Most make little, if any, money, but do it for the fun of it and the service to the hobby. It's really about Stude people having a chance to get together, but it would not exist without the efforts of the vendors. You know there'll be something there you need, be ready to grab it up!

I hope I've convinced you to come and enjoy the Meet. I'll be there with my prematurely gray hair and customary idiot grin, and my forum button. Hope to see you there- and at our Second Annual Lunch at Hooters in York, Saturday at Noon. See you there!

mausersmth
02-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Hooter's? Now you got me thinking of wings!
Ok, I admit it. Waitresses too.

Bob Andrews
02-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Waitresses?? Whatever. I'm there for my all-time favorite wings. Never notice the wait staff.

(wink,wink)<G>

johnesmonde
02-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the post Bob. I've never been to York but am weighing whether it's worth the drive from Ontario. Your comments are helpful.

2moredoors
02-26-2011, 11:42 AM
There are usally a number of guys from SDC Hamilton and Ontario Chapters. You should find it quite enjoyable.

warrlaw1
02-26-2011, 12:25 PM
I'd love to but I'd have to find a sitter for my mom. My dog enjoyed SouthBend, twice, but I'm not in a position to get there, this year. Enjoy!

wise raymond
02-26-2011, 02:08 PM
hi all i,am coming all the way over from manchester england via toronto, ont, flying in monday seeing family 2 days then my buddes picking me up from burlington,hamilton, driven down thursday, looking for supercharger set up..lol.for avanti,or lark,. see you all there. white beard, 5,8,, speeks canadian ,ah. whith english slang throgh en in,

DEEPNHOCK
02-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Bring your golashes/wet boots.
It can be nice, snowy, cold, and most of all sloppy.
Dress warm in layers that can come off if it is nice out.

george o
02-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Bob:

Are you going to bring your car dolly this year?

take care and see you next week

george o

Bob Andrews
02-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Not planning to, unless you've got another deal I can't refuse!:) got anything??

Captain Billy
02-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Ontario chapter should be well represented...at least 10 I know of

george o
02-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Nothing this year to sell, usually try to have a car to sell, but not much time to beat the streets with the new son!

See you Friday night and hopefully Sat

take care

george o

Lenny R2
02-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Going to York with a friend of mine first time were are some good places to eat we are staying at
the meet hotel.Are there places to eat near the fair grounds.Yes i like to eat 3 times a day.Going
to the S.T.F dinner friday night.Looking forward to meeting forum members.

Bob Andrews
02-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Hi Lenny! York is a decent-sized town, with most of the usual chain-style restaurants. One good place is Alexander's, just up Carlisle Road from the Fairgrounds. Of course, we'd love to have you join us at Hooters for lunch Saturday. Look forward to seeing you again!

JWW
03-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Lenny,

The Best Western (meet hotel) has a decent continental breakfast. Directly across the road is a large modern "old style" trolley diner whose name I can't recall, and like Yogi always is quoted as having said: "no one goes there anymore; it's too crowded."

There is also food available in both buildings at the fairgrounds. Not a large selection, but hot sandwiches, fries, drinks, etc. It's convenient because you don't have to leave the grounds in search of lunch. (except Sat as Bob has suggested <g>)

I'm staying at the BW and going to the STF dinner, so perhaps we'll meet.

JWW