DIY Secret Serial Numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Secret Serial Numbers?

Seeing that the stolen Tennessee Avanti hasn't been found, it got me to thinking about how one can postitively ID their Studebaker if stolen.

There's the "secret serial number" on the rear cross member but I'd wager that it can no longer be found on the vast majority of cars any more. Data plate? Those can and are being reproduced or relatively easily swapped from another car. Title? There are work-arounds for that. Add a repaint and bada-boom, you have no "provable in court" evidence that a vehicle is yours.

So, here's my thought: Create your own secret number(s)

Seems to me one could engrave their own secret ID numbers in several hidden places on the vehicle known only to the owner. Then, document these IDs with a certified/witnessed/notarized document attesting to their existance and placement. Maybe even attach photos. Having such documentation would be powerful proof of one's ownership. The document would be transferred to the new owner if sold.

This wouldn't prevent theft nor would it guarantee recovery but it would provide some added measure of ID if a suspicious Studebaker suddenly showed up on the street or at a meet.

Let's say a purple Avanti shows up at a meet that has never been seen before and careful inspection suggests that it was once painted white. The owner of the stolen white Avanti could be contacted, who says to "look in a certain spot for such and such". If it's there, call the cops. If not, no harm no foul.

Doing your own secret serial numbers would be pretty easy to do and should be pretty hard for a thief to find because there's no set location(s). So, why not?

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

One of those magazines, Popular Mechanics or Popular Science used to have helpful hints and one issue they suggested that you drop your business card, with your name and phone number, down in the door slot between the window and window frame.

If your stolen car was found, you could tell police to pull off the door panel and look for your card. Of course, it would help if it was laminated to keep it dry.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

One of those magazines, Popular Mechanics or Popular Science used to have helpful hints and one issue they suggested that you drop your business card, with your name and phone number, down in the door slot between the window and window frame.

If your stolen car was found, you could tell police to pull off the door panel and look for your card. Of course, it would help if it was laminated to keep it dry.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Geez........... If a "purple Avanti" showed up at a meet, the "owner" should be suspect, no matter what![8]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Geez........... If a "purple Avanti" showed up at a meet, the "owner" should be suspect, no matter what![8]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

And arrested, given a fair trial, and executed. [)]

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

New cars have small decals on all the major panels on the body will the VIN on it. These are usually on the bottom/back side of the panel. Etching the glass does the same thing. The glass etching will lessen the likelyhood that the vehicle will be taken because the car will then need all the glass replaced (a pain in the backside). If the car is part (not a huge market for Avanti parts), missing glass from doors, etc., is not a desirable as a door will glass.

This car was either a joy ride (in which case it will be found, and possibly burned) or it's being shipped overseas. Trying to turn a Studebaker is a problem because of how few are out there. Too many thing can cause a red flag (title jumping, color changes, things that don't match, etc.) that I'd think it's more likely that the car would leave the states.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

New cars have small decals on all the major panels on the body will the VIN on it. These are usually on the bottom/back side of the panel. Etching the glass does the same thing. The glass etching will lessen the likelyhood that the vehicle will be taken because the car will then need all the glass replaced (a pain in the backside). If the car is part (not a huge market for Avanti parts), missing glass from doors, etc., is not a desirable as a door will glass.

This car was either a joy ride (in which case it will be found, and possibly burned) or it's being shipped overseas. Trying to turn a Studebaker is a problem because of how few are out there. Too many thing can cause a red flag (title jumping, color changes, things that don't match, etc.) that I'd think it's more likely that the car would leave the states.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

To take it one step further with todays high technology. There are "microdot" secret Id tags that are currently being used by high end OEM and by the anti-theft aftermarket crowd. The dots are ultra small, and vary hard to see. BUT they have a number/barcode that can easily read by microscope. I forgot the company name, but you order a kit, it comes with a bag of dots, a Q-tip, and glue. You dab the Q-tip in glue, lightly touch the dots to pick up a few and lay them down with a light touch in several strategic places throughout the body/frame of the car. Even if theives know where some dots are placed, they may not know every spot AND getting all the dots off is difficult -so the chances of all of the secret ID's being removed are minimal. The places are well known to law enforcement and they are located and removed to prove ownership. The company that sells them keeps a permenant record of your information.

Best Regards,
                    Eric West
                    "The Speedster Kid"
                    Sunny Northern California
                    Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
                    And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
                    55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
                    55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)
                    Best Regards,
                    Eric West
                    "The Speedster Kid"
                    And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)

Comment

To take it one step further with todays high technology. There are "microdot" secret Id tags that are currently being used by high end OEM and by the anti-theft aftermarket crowd. The dots are ultra small, and vary hard to see. BUT they have a number/barcode that can easily read by microscope. I forgot the company name, but you order a kit, it comes with a bag of dots, a Q-tip, and glue. You dab the Q-tip in glue, lightly touch the dots to pick up a few and lay them down with a light touch in several strategic places throughout the body/frame of the car. Even if theives know where some dots are placed, they may not know every spot AND getting all the dots off is difficult -so the chances of all of the secret ID's being removed are minimal. The places are well known to law enforcement and they are located and removed to prove ownership. The company that sells them keeps a permenant record of your information.

Best Regards,
                      Eric West
                      "The Speedster Kid"
                      Best Regards,
                      Eric West
                      "The Speedster Kid"

Comment

A fair trial? Around here!??[:0]
                        Yer' crackin' me up
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

A fair trial? Around here!??[:0]
                          Yer' crackin' me up
                          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Probably....
                            Having worked all over the southeast, it always amazed me to see in deeper Miami (down by the river)all the puny barges loaded with cars, trucks, and 'stuff' all waiting for calm seas and good weather so they could be dragged over to the Bahama's. Only the good stuff got loaded 'into' a beater shipping containers...
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Swifster
                            <snip>This car was either a joy ride (in which case it will be found, and possibly burned) or it's being shipped overseas. Trying to turn a Studebaker is a problem because of how few are out there. Too many thing can cause a red flag (title jumping, color changes, things that don't match, etc.) that I'd think it's more likely that the car would leave the states.
                            Tom - Valrico, FL

Jeff

Comment

Probably....
                              Having worked all over the southeast, it always amazed me to see in deeper Miami (down by the river)all the puny barges loaded with cars, trucks, and 'stuff' all waiting for calm seas and good weather so they could be dragged over to the Bahama's. Only the good stuff got loaded 'into' a beater shipping containers...
                              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Swifster
                              <snip>This car was either a joy ride (in which case it will be found, and possibly burned) or it's being shipped overseas. Trying to turn a Studebaker is a problem because of how few are out there. Too many thing can cause a red flag (title jumping, color changes, things that don't match, etc.) that I'd think it's more likely that the car would leave the states.
                              Tom - Valrico, FL

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X