Studebaker Stock Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Stock Car

Received this in the mail this week. Wish I could sharpen it up some. Any wizards out there?

Along the edge is some of the info. I'm sure Bob Palma will be along with more info, since he knows the owner. I believe the car still exists!

Click image for larger version

Name:	StudeStockCar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1733079
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

I believe that there is NASCAR's "Car of Tomorrow". If it was plastered with endorsement decals, it would be more recognizable.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I'll be darned.. I got a phone call from a Lyle Sneary a few days ago; we talked Studes for well over an hour. Part of the conversation was about his son's '65 4 door that fit this car's description. Too cool!

Comment

this is as clear as tiny pic would make it.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Better! One can only do so much.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

The car's owner, Lyle Sneary, called this morning to shoot the breeze. He reported still having this car on his property, although he hasn't run it in many years. (Hmmmm....who else do we know with old, dead, sentimental roundy-round cars as yard ornaments?)

Anyway, Lyle said it was his 26-year-old son Duane who drove this car, and they did very well, even after the track owner made them add 500 pounds of ballast so the car would weigh about the same as the others on the track! Lyle said he didn't mind that too much because they just said add the weight, not where. So Lyle judiciously distributed the added weight where he thought it would benefit the car's handling...and it did.

Unfortunately, Duane was killed in an automobile accident in 1991, the year after this picture was taken. Duane was in another car with a friend, on their way to see Duane's younger brother play in a high school football game. An inebriated driver ran a red light at very high speed and T-boned the car in which Duane was riding.

That may be why Lyle is reluctant to dispose of this Studebaker stock car. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Here's another attempt at sharpening and removing the trash.
              Gary Ash
              Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
              ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
              '48 M5
              '65 Wagonaire Commander
              '63 Wagonaire Standard
              web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Gober Sosebee from Dawsonville, GA drove a Studebaker in the mid-fifties. I believe he only drove the Studebaker on the MAEC circuit (Now ARCA) because he was banned by Bill France from NASCAR. It seems he won the Daytona 500 away back when it was run partly on the beach by having the gas man get in the trunk and put gasoline in the tank while he was racing. He was disqualified by France and they got into a cuss fight. Supposedly, Gober told France, "I've met your mother, and she is a nice lady, so that makes yoi a self-made S.O.B."

Comment

You can't go wrong with a picture of a Conestoga on the side of your stock car!

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    (Hmmmm....who else do we know with old, dead, sentimental roundy-round cars as yard ornaments?)
                    Probably some sappy old has-been...
                    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
                      Gober Sosebee from Dawsonville, GA drove a Studebaker in the mid-fifties. I believe he only drove the Studebaker on the MAEC circuit (Now ARCA) because he was banned by Bill France from NASCAR. It seems he won the Daytona 500 away back when it was run partly on the beach by having the gas man get in the trunk and put gasoline in the tank while he was racing. He was disqualified by France and they got into a cuss fight. Supposedly, Gober told France, "I've met your mother, and she is a nice lady, so that makes yoi a self-made S.O.B."

Gober raced a 56 Golden Hawk in various non NASCAR stock car races. He was also more successful in the NASCAR Modified series than in the NASCAR Grand National (now Cup) series. He was a true stock car racing pioneer.

Bob Coolidge
                      DeLand, FL
                      sigpicBob Coolidge
                      DeLand, FL

Comment

Working...
                      X