How many 1964 Wagonaires were made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many 1964 Wagonaires were made?

I have tag #64V-p4 463. I am wondering how many of these bad boys were made and if anyone knows how many are left. I bought this thing with the aspirations of putting it back into showroom condition. I have it up for sale along with enough chrome for two cars, another 259 engine with rebuild kit, all new rubber, 3 sets of door vinyl, two steering wheels, new wheels and tires. (I had a 64 challenger also, thats why 2 of everything.). It has no rust or rot, no major dings, half the car is down to bare metal and clean. Doors are off and all glass is out. Last two SASCO front fenders are still wrapped in cardboard just in case I needed them. Any information or offers appreciated. thanks guys

There's simply no way to know how many are "left."

But here's how many 1964 wagons we started out with, South Bend and Hamilton production combined:

SIXES:
    Challenger: 453
    Heavy Duty: 9
    Commander: 1,206
    Daytona (Hamilton only): 116

EIGHTS:
    Challenger: 286
    Heavy-Duty: 13
    Commander: 1,605
    Daytona: 1,543

Interesting, the highest production number were Commander V-8 wagons. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It looks like the V8's outsold the 6's by a pretty good margin. But when you think about it, it makes sense. I mean, if you are gonna buy a wagon, usually you have a decent sized family you need to haul around, plus vacations. Who wants to load up a car with two adults, four kids, a car full of luggage and a rack full to boot, and then try to traverse the mountains and valleys with a little 6 banger? Makes sense to me to spend the extra for the V8!

Comment

Hi Doc-

How about some pictures and a package price? I or someone else might be interested. If you prefer, e-mail me at bams50@msn.com . Thanks!
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob- How many were Astra White?

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          There's simply no way to know how many are "left."

But here's how many 1964 wagons we started out with, South Bend and Hamilton production combined:

SIXES:
          Challenger: 453
          Heavy Duty: 9
          Commander: 1,206
          Daytona (Hamilton only): 116

EIGHTS:
          Challenger: 286
          Heavy-Duty: 13
          Commander: 1,605
          Daytona: 1,543

Interesting, the highest production number were Commander V-8 wagons. BP
          Evan Davis
          Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

This is why I need a savings account!
            Hope you find a good home for her. My Cruiser would love the company, but I lack the cash & garage space!

Comment

Originally posted by fargoguy View Post
              Bob- How many were Astra White?
              'Can't say for sure, Evan, without several day's research through the production orders, one by one, for all 20,000+ South Bend 1964 V-8 cars, plus Hamilton.

However, as to Astra White domestic Daytona Wagonaires, in which I have a vested interest, probably about 400.

That's because 99 of the 417 domestic 1964 Daytona convertibles were Astra White. If we apply that percentage to the 1,543 South Bend Daytona Wagonaires, we get about 400.

Buit that's only an approximation, of course; the exact number has not been researched to the best of my knowledge. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

How many of those Fleet/P3's were ordered with *no* back seat? Some GSA vehicles were ordered less back seat with a piece of vinyl-covered plywood in its place!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  How many of those Fleet/P3's were ordered with *no* back seat? Some GSA vehicles were ordered less back seat with a piece of vinyl-covered plywood in its place! Craig
                  True, Craig...now with three or four full days of production order research in South Bend at the museum, we'll be able to answer your question! <GGG> BP

Comment

Bob, since the thread is focusing on Astra white, do you have the number of '64 J8's in that color?

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                      Bob, since the thread is focusing on Astra white, do you have the number of '64 J8's in that color?
                      No.

Few, very few, Studebaker model years have the number of units of each color known. Some specific research has been done for, say, 1956 Golden Hawks, 1957 Golden Hawk 400s (but not all 1957 Golden Hawks), 1958 Golden Hawks, and 1964 Daytona Convertibles. It takes a long time to do this because each Production Order must be handled and the color noted manually; there has never been (and will likely never be) the manpower to enter all this information into a huge data base...although it's a pleasant dream, of course.

Some assumptions and approximations can be made, as I did by applying the percentage of Astra White 1964 convertibles (a known figure) to the total production run of 1964 Daytona Wagonaires. White was an extremely popular color in the industry all during the early to mid 1960s, so there is no reason to believe the percentage of white wagons would be much different than the percentage of white convertibles.

That said, 2,414 1964 Daytona Hardtops were made. If just under a fourth of them were Astra White, as with the convertibles, there would have been "about 600" Astra White 1964 Daytona hardtops. That's about as close as we can come from extant research. BP

Comment

I have it for sale here in Tucson, AZ on Craigslist.com
                        You can find it by PostingID: 2232309303 or by searching for studebaker or 1964 in the Tucson listings. All of the particulars are there. $6000 obo for everything and I'll thow in the challenger parts I have too, tail light lenses and badges.

Comment

I have a 64 Daytona Wagonaire for sale also. It is an unfinished project, horizon green, STUCK/soaking 289 P/S P/B Power T gate, Black interior Stored since the early 1980's. Rust/cancer is minimal. As they say "its all there"..... It is in NW WA State for sale all or parts and I only have 1 week to unload it. Parts will be on Ebay next week if it does not sell 'whole'

Comment

Always the wrong end of the country. I'm beginning to think that Sudebaker didn't sell any station wagons in the south.
                            Jamie McLeod
                            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                            1958 Commander "Christine"
                            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                            1955 Commander Sedan
                            1964 Champ
                            1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by desertdoc View Post
                              I have tag #64V-p4 463. I am wondering how many of these bad boys were made and if anyone knows how many are left. I bought this thing with the aspirations of putting it back into showroom condition. I have it up for sale along with enough chrome for two cars, another 259 engine with rebuild kit, all new rubber, 3 sets of door vinyl, two steering wheels, new wheels and tires. (I had a 64 challenger also, thats why 2 of everything.). It has no rust or rot, no major dings, half the car is down to bare metal and clean. Doors are off and all glass is out. Last two SASCO front fenders are still wrapped in cardboard just in case I needed them. Any information or offers appreciated. thanks guys
                              I added up ALL the model numbers Bob Palma supplied and come up with only 5,231!! Is that all Studebaker built of this wonderful wagon? My gosh, those numbers seem very low to say the least. Didn't competitor Rambler make thousands more of their wagons? Oh well.
                              JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Working...
                              X