Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '53/'54 front on a '55 model.

Hello folks!

I was actually going to ask if any of you guys live close to Alameda(?) California, but I can't get hold of the man from Alameda that has a '53 Starliner for sale on the net, so there you go...

HOWEVER(.. ..), a friend gave me a VERY interesting and incredible tip the other day. Evidently, a '55 president was supposed to sit in a garage not far from my hometown here in Norway..!( Studes are RARE in Norway..!! )
    I had to find out if it was true, so I followed my friends directions. There was nobody at home at the house I found, but I took the chance and decided to take a look through the garage windows.
    When my eyes caught the car inside, my knees weakened!
    My friends story was correct!!!
    I am now thinking about asking the owner if he wants to sell.
    BUT there is one "catch"... I don't like the '55 front at all...
    Is it possible to put on a front from a '53 or '54? - Even a "four door" or a saloon/ station wagon front?
    And how much do I need? Will a bonnet/ hood and a grill do? Are the fenders the same on '53, '54 and '55 Studes..?
    Hope anyone has some experience with "cloning" "mid fifties - Studes".
    The actual car is in need of quite some attention, but it looked complete, and not that much rusty, really.
    Does anyone have any idea how much a car like that would be worth( in the States, of course)?

Thanks!
    Ralphie.
    \"There are two speeds in life - flat out and faster\"(Burt Munro)

1953 Starliner(\"hot rod\" project)
    1953 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe(original - SOLD...).
    Proud member of SDC:-)

Kvinesdal, Norway(land of vikings and midnight sun) :-)

Ralphie, it's difficult to place value on a mystery. If I might be so bold as to suggest you log into e-bay and look at what's going on there, and you might get a better idea as to value. As to the front clip of a '55 as compared to it's predicessors? Yes, the whole front clip should interchange. Note that I said 'should'. I've no doubt that someone here will say I'm full of beans. Still, the following would be different; hood, grilles, front bumper, etc...

Why don't you buy a car out of Turning Wheels? There are a number of the '53-'54 cars listed, currently.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Ralphie, it's difficult to place value on a mystery. If I might be so bold as to suggest you log into e-bay and look at what's going on there, and you might get a better idea as to value. As to the front clip of a '55 as compared to it's predicessors? Yes, the whole front clip should interchange. Note that I said 'should'. I've no doubt that someone here will say I'm full of beans. Still, the following would be different; hood, grilles, front bumper, etc...

Why don't you buy a car out of Turning Wheels? There are a number of the '53-'54 cars listed, currently.

Lotsa Larks!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Until you find out if the car's for sale, it's a moot point. Then, if it should happen to be a President Speedster, you DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE THE FRONT CLIP!

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Until you find out if the car's for sale, it's a moot point. Then, if it should happen to be a President Speedster, you DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE THE FRONT CLIP!

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It's not too difficult to convert a '55 to '53 specs, but it would be expensive. The '53 grills are some of the most rare and expensive parts in Studedom, and the hood is not too far behind. And no, very little of the sedan parts will interchange. You might want to take another look at the '55 front end tho. yes, with all the chrome and bumper guards and add-ons they look pretty cluttered, but I've seen several that end up looking very smooth by removing the excess guards and painting that chrome snout.

Steve Hudson
            The Dalles, Oregon
            1937 Dictator Streetrod
            1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
            1953 Commander Convertible
            1954 Champion Coupe

Steve Hudson
            The Dalles, Oregon
            1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
            1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
            1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

It's not too difficult to convert a '55 to '53 specs, but it would be expensive. The '53 grills are some of the most rare and expensive parts in Studedom, and the hood is not too far behind. And no, very little of the sedan parts will interchange. You might want to take another look at the '55 front end tho. yes, with all the chrome and bumper guards and add-ons they look pretty cluttered, but I've seen several that end up looking very smooth by removing the excess guards and painting that chrome snout.

Steve Hudson
              The Dalles, Oregon
              1937 Dictator Streetrod
              1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
              1953 Commander Convertible
              1954 Champion Coupe

Steve Hudson
              The Dalles, Oregon
              1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
              1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
              1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Ralphie,

In a recent edition (August 2006, Vol. 38, No. 8)of Turning Wheels, there is an good article by Scott Hall in the customs pages about just such a car, and it's a beauty (Front Cover shot and inside pictures too). If you don't have the magazine, you can order one.

COST (US dollars):
                1 to 3 copies, $5.50 each
                5 to 9 copies, $5
                10 to 24 copies, $4.50
                25 or more, $4
                Orders outside the US and Canada
                are an ADDITIONAL $5 per copy for postage and handling

Corner Stone Registration, Ltd.
                The Studebaker Drivers Club, Inc.
                P.O. Box 1743, Maple Grove, MN 55311

Or, use VISA or Master Card and
                call 763-420-7829, or
                fax 763-420-7849 or email:
                mark@cornerstonereg.com

Good Luck,
                Bob Feaganes, aka stude53

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                53 Starliner Hardtop
                Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Ralphie,

In a recent edition (August 2006, Vol. 38, No. 8)of Turning Wheels, there is an good article by Scott Hall in the customs pages about just such a car, and it's a beauty (Front Cover shot and inside pictures too). If you don't have the magazine, you can order one.

COST (US dollars):
                  1 to 3 copies, $5.50 each
                  5 to 9 copies, $5
                  10 to 24 copies, $4.50
                  25 or more, $4
                  Orders outside the US and Canada
                  are an ADDITIONAL $5 per copy for postage and handling

Corner Stone Registration, Ltd.
                  The Studebaker Drivers Club, Inc.
                  P.O. Box 1743, Maple Grove, MN 55311

Or, use VISA or Master Card and
                  call 763-420-7829, or
                  fax 763-420-7849 or email:
                  mark@cornerstonereg.com

Good Luck,
                  Bob Feaganes, aka stude53

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                  53 Starliner Hardtop
                  Newton Grove, NC

Comment

And Ralphie, I forgot to mention there is a company that has reproduced the 1953 Starliner in fiberglass. You can view their offering at: http://www.rodnrace.com/stude.htm

53 Starliner Hardtop
                    Newton Grove, NC

Comment

And Ralphie, I forgot to mention there is a company that has reproduced the 1953 Starliner in fiberglass. You can view their offering at: http://www.rodnrace.com/stude.htm

53 Starliner Hardtop
                      Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Hi, Ralphie,

Agree, first, find if the car is for sale, then learn to love the '55 front end. Remove the bumper guards and it doesn't look half bad. It would cost more than the car is worth to buy all the '53 parts and ship them to Norway. You could buy a complete '53 for less than what you are contemplating.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

Hi, Ralphie,

Agree, first, find if the car is for sale, then learn to love the '55 front end. Remove the bumper guards and it doesn't look half bad. It would cost more than the car is worth to buy all the '53 parts and ship them to Norway. You could buy a complete '53 for less than what you are contemplating.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                          PackardV8

Comment

I have undertaken a project of converting a 56 Flight Hawk to a 54 front end. I had to chang hood, grill, bumper, radiator and support,hood latch assembly, fan shroud,and cut away much"Hawk" sheet metal. I chose to use a fiberglass grill assembly, and thus had to fabricate a hood latch support. I reccomend keeping the 55 front!!! NT

Neil Thornton
                            Hazlehurst, GA
                            '57 Silver Hawk
                            '56 Sky Hawk
                            '51 2R16 dump truck
                            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I have undertaken a project of converting a 56 Flight Hawk to a 54 front end. I had to chang hood, grill, bumper, radiator and support,hood latch assembly, fan shroud,and cut away much"Hawk" sheet metal. I chose to use a fiberglass grill assembly, and thus had to fabricate a hood latch support. I reccomend keeping the 55 front!!! NT

Neil Thornton
                              Hazlehurst, GA
                              '57 Silver Hawk
                              '56 Sky Hawk
                              '51 2R16 dump truck
                              Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X