PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a nice custom van conversion-will trade nice Studebaker

candbstudebakers
02-21-2011, 11:15 PM
As a lot of you people know I do make trips across the country with parts and to national meets last year I bought a 2008 Dodge Mega cab 4 door with the Hemi engine so I could pull my trailer and also bring my wife and sister in law and my wife's handy cap scooter all this can be done with the Dodge no problem but now I am thinking that maybe I should have gotten a nice custom van conversion at that time and not the Dodge, so now with the payment on the Dodge it makes it harder to get the van, being on a fixed income I want to keep what ever payment I have at no more than I have with the Dodge, so If I were to find the right van and the price about what any of my Studebakers are maybe we can make a deal, can't hurt to ask and the forum is a good place to start, any one that has one and might be thinking of moving it lets talk, thanks.

Bob Andrews
02-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Bob, that's how my family and I travel; and have for years. It's the only way to go for us! Lots of luxury, room, comfort, front and rear A/C, TV, on and on. Higly recommend!

I'm driving an '02 Ford E-150. Had it 5 years now, 175K miles. It will haul five plus a car on the dolly but you have to be patient on grades and such. If I want to tow a car trailer I'll need to beef up the springs; just never had a need to haul that extra weight/less safety. With the family it gets 13-15 MPG. With the 36 gallon fuel tank it has a nice long distance between fill-ups. Really has been great for our use.

You might consider a Ford E-350 Diesel van. You can get them hi-top or regular, extra-long or regular, the usual 4 Captain's chairs plus sofa bench or in the extended 6 Captain's plus sofa. These will haul 9 people plus a car on a trailer without issue if you like. I was thinking about going with one of these but I go back and forth since I really don't need anything that HD that often. Also wonder how noisy they are but probably they're not bad.

Otherwise, both Ford and Chevy make some real beauties. Start by browsing eBay, that will give you a good look at what's out there.

Here's the eBay link: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A10%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_nkw=conversion+van&_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&_sticky=1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_sop=Year_DESC&_sc=1

My customized link for Ford Diesels. Nothing there now, but you could bookmark these and check back: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?Model=E%252DSeries%2520Van&Make=Ford&_nkw=diesel&_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&_pcats=6010%2C6001%2C6000&_sop=10&_rdc=1

Bob Andrews
02-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Just for reference, check this one out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-Mercedes-Conversion-Executive-Office-Sprinter-Van-/160549670083?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2561818cc3

candbstudebakers
02-22-2011, 11:06 AM
wow a 125,000 miles and they still want 50,000 bucks not for me, it might not happen since I have the 08 Dodge and the payment, but will be looking and trying to make something happen, thanks Bob I had this feeling you would catch this since you drive one....Bob

Studeguru
02-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Bob, I have a 1999 GMC Custom Van conversion. We love this van. it has a 350 motor and it gives us 17 to 20 miles per gallon. I think you may have seen it at my house. It is the only way to travel, We will be driving it to Springfield.

candbstudebakers
02-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Ya Fred I have seen it and we have talked about it before but even at that time I already had the Dodge, been looking at them and they sure are nice, I want one I can tow my trailer with and I don't think the Ford with their little 4.5 V-8 will do the job I know the chevy with a min of the 5.3 will do it as i have a 02 chevy with that engine and tow with no problem..

Studeguru
02-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Bob, I have towed behind my van many times. I have a trailer like yours. I should have more springs in the rear. than it would not ride so low. Either get some booster springs or get a 3/4 to van. My van now has 173000 miles on it, still runs like a top and I never need to ad oil between changes (7500 miles).