Progress, finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress, finally

The bottom end of the engine is finally together. Only 4 months and having to take the block back to the machine shop a second time. I hope the rest of the bolt on parts go smoother than the machined parts did.

Since we had such a nice weekend here in NC, I decided to swap the rear ends between the project car and the parts car so I would have a higher speed rear. While I had the rear out of the car, I figured it would be a great time to install the seal kit. I knew the brake drums or studs on this rear had been modified because the drums came off without pulling the hub. The obvious down side of this is that the hubs hadn't been pulled in quite a while, so they were stuck tight. My Dad and I spent the whole day heating, beating and pulling on the hubs. Finally got them off, but only after I bent one of the hubs. Luckily I had the other rear so I snatched a hub off that rear to put on the one I want in the car.

Anyway, I siad all that to get to my question. Is there anythingt I can put on the axle to keep the hub from sticking so tight?

Second question, is there any place where I can buy a hub puller?

Thanks
    Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

How about some idea of what your car is? Pictures?

If it's a Studebaker rear axle with tapered axles, then no, you definitely cannot lubricate the hub where it goes on the axle. It depends on being dry. The correct puller- held on by the lug nuts and pressing against the end of the axle- are available at most any tool source, including eBay. You cannot use the type that pulls on the drums as it will ruin them. In my experience it's better to spend the extra to buy a better quality puller.

There have been many discussions here on the subject, which I'm sure a simple search will reveal.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Sounds like you are looking to close the gate after the horse has run off????
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

sorry, forgot to say it is a 61 Hawk with a Dana 44.

Yea the bent hub was a hard learned lesson due to inexperience on my part. I heated the collar of the hub but I guess I didn't let it cool enough before I started pulling on it. Didn't realize I was screwing up until I noticed that the flange of the hub was no longer flat. Happy to have a spare rear but still hate that I ruined a hub.

I wasn't expecting to hear that hub pullers for these things were that easy to find. I was expecting to have to try to find a 70 year old mechanic that is sure he has one but can't remember where it is because he hasn't used it in 40 years. Guess I'll hit NAPA one day soon.

Hate to hear I can't put anything on the axle to keep the hub from sticking. I was hoping some type of antisieze could be used.

Wayne
        Wayne
        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Here's the best puller you can buy. My granddad made one of these years ago from a hub, works smooth as butter.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
            Here's the best puller you can buy.

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...age=tools.html
            Matthew, do you know how to buy one and how much? I'd be interested in buying one to go with the style I already have.

Here's one like I have. I like the wrench that you hammer on. Works pretty well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Wayne: If you lube the axle/hub, that will allow the hub to press too far onto the axle taper and split the hub. Sure is tempting to lube it, though!
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

My mistake, Chuck just loans them out, not sell them.

Easy enough to make if you have a welder. And yes I realize that not everyone does.

Comment

Dang, was hoping they were for sale

Wonder if Chuck would mind if I made copies and sold them? Wouldn't be hard to make a bunch, and I bet they'd sell...

Food for thought.......
                Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                X