PDA

View Full Version : This is sad

dpson
02-21-2011, 06:07 PM
While I believe that we all have the right to do as we want with the cars we own, it is sad to see a rare car such as this turned into a street rod.

http://mobile.craigslist.org/pts/2225355663.html

Hopefully someone can make use of the drivetrain.

raprice
02-21-2011, 06:39 PM
I can't believe that someone with such a nice, beautiful car would turn it into a rod. Such a waste.
I can understand it if the car was a basketcase and to make it a rod would be ok by me. But to destroy such a nice car is beyond me. That's my opinion.
Rog

BobPalma
02-21-2011, 06:42 PM
'Especially a '33, as rare as they are.
Maybe Dick Quinn will tell us it's really not a '33! <GGG> BP

mbstude
02-21-2011, 06:46 PM
It's a '33.

Street rodders are just like restorers, they don't like starting with junk either.

StudeRich
02-21-2011, 07:02 PM
That car is JUST TOO rare to be even THINKING about modifying it in any way! It looks to be all there and in good condition, even runs, it would just be a travesty to Rod that car. And it would be a lot easier restoration than most.

I am trying really hard to envision an era that you would be trying to duplicate, and I just can't. Were there EVER lowered, custom wheeled, hot rodded 1930's 4 Door Cars, in the '40's, 50's, 60's ?

I don't remember EVER seeing one, except the common '32 Ford Roadsters, T-buckets etc. common as dirt! And of course nowadays, where nothing is sacred!

Don Jeffers
02-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Although I am/have been a rodder, a neighbor of mine bought an original and very nice 36 Ford two door sedan and turned in into quite the rod.

The '36 had nice original paint, upholstery, gauges, engine etc. He drove it home, put it up on jack stands and went to work scraping, removing, altering and painting. My sanctimonious observation of his work came only a few years after doing the same and worse to a '32 Ford 5 window coupe.

I too am sorry to see the '33 Stude about to be morphed into a rod. Perhaps some Stude collector can buy and save the car.

What can we say?

mausersmth
02-21-2011, 08:16 PM
At least he realizes the parts he's removing have value to someone else.
How many cars have had the stock parts scrapped because the owner didn't know or care that anyone wanted them!

I agree, it's too nice an original car for this project, as well as being rare. I'd enjoy following this project if he started with a parts car or a shell from the desert. Still, even one of the surviving Tucker 48's is riding on a modern chassis.

Wonder if he chose an engine yet? A 289 would be nice.

klifton1
02-21-2011, 09:04 PM
There was a roadster up here in southern Minnesota, 32 or 33, Black ,SBC, Duel side mounts, that I would have put in my garage any time he wanted to. It was a resto rod and just beautiful. Haven't seen it for a while so my be sold.
Klif

Jessie J.
02-21-2011, 09:06 PM
He said; "I'm considering streetrodding". Sounds more like a plea, 'help me out here'. Someone needs to 'make him an offer he can't refuse'. :D
Can about bet, put enough $$$$$ in his hand to buy an equal condition 33 Ford, and you would save the Stude.

silverhawk
02-21-2011, 10:10 PM
But he posted another ad, saying he'll consider selling the ENTIRE car. :D Here's someone's chance at saving her :D

http://mobile.craigslist.org/cto/2225361355.html

bob40
02-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Let's see if anyone steps up.

dictator27
02-21-2011, 10:48 PM
It's been for sale on the ASC forum for months. Started at 15, reduced it to 11.

http://forums.aaca.org/f126/sale-1333-studebaker-mod-56-a-281863.html

Terry

woodysrods
02-21-2011, 11:52 PM
It is always easy to suggest that someone els save an original car from the hands a Street Rodder. But in 99% of the "suggester" is not prepared to do anything about it themselves.
If anyone really thinks it needs saving....step to the plate.
I personally think it is a nice enough car that I would just like to see it coming down the road at me in whatever form. Rather than sitting in some dusty garage for the rest of time, waiting for someone who is more of a dreamer than a doer.
Thats my 2 cents worth!
Good Roads
Brian

avantilover
02-22-2011, 02:33 AM
Done properly there's nothing wrong with turning a car into a rod. I saw recently in a US Rod magazine a fellow did a 1933 (I think) Buick, updated engine and all and it looked brilliant. Not a fan of those who chop roofs low, maybe as I'm 6ft and like space. I hope to see that one of the posters on the topic has purchased it.

Michidan
02-22-2011, 07:54 AM
I won't be able to purchase it, but I'll post just to say i sure would like to! What a beautiful car, something to be proud of just the way it is.

4961Studebaker
02-22-2011, 07:55 AM
I like the looks, For all the savers....what's the value on this model?

ozarkman
02-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Well you have to give him credit...his add has generated some buzz by ruffling some feathers! ;) "Come save it before I rod it!"

I say rod the heck out of it...it would look cool with blacked out windows. Maybe throw in a Packard motor, or a straight 8 if it would fit. Just not a cheby! :)

Jackson
02-22-2011, 09:47 AM
FWIW
I truly enjoy heading down the interstate in my 34 Studebaker street rod (4 door), setting comfortably in the bucket seat, A/C on, cruise set at 70, 305 CI / 700R4 turning 2100, a Patsy Cline CD in the quad stereo and dual glaspacs humming. But what I really love is tweaking the purists most of whom are authorities with opinions but do not own a vehicle (of any type) from that era. Life is good.

JDP
02-22-2011, 09:50 AM
It is always easy to suggest that someone els save an original car from the hands a Street Rodder. But in 99% of the "suggester" is not prepared to do anything about it themselves.
I personally think it is a nice enough car that I would just like to see it coming down the road at me in whatever form. Rather than sitting in some dusty garage for the rest of time, waiting for someone who is more of a dreamer than a doer.
Thats my 2 cents worth!
Good Roads
Brian

My prediction ? No one will buy it to restore, but many will gripe when it's rodded. My take is a nice, daily driver, resto rod treatment might be the best thing that could happen to the car. It'll get a lot more exposure for the hobby that way compared to a trailered show car that goes to 3-4 show/year.

52-fan
02-22-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't have a problem with someone making a rod out of any car if it retains its basic design. What I have a problem with is taking a beautiful old design and chopping and/or smoothing the details away and putting in so many modern pieces that the original character is lost. If the person want to build a totally smoothed modern car they could start with a fiberglass shell.

StudeSchack
02-22-2011, 11:20 AM
For those of you scraping together the $11 grand to save it...BEWARE...that is an ad from the LAST owner!

The current owner wants $17 grand to put it in your garage!

(I think I was ok with the 11...not sure I can do the 17)

Pat Dilling
02-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Thats my 2 cents worth!
Good Roads
Brian

Well said Brian

jackb
02-22-2011, 12:05 PM
....and as an avowed purist....I can speak from experience that cars as nice as this one can and do spend the rest of their lives rotting out in someone's garage or barn.....maybe to be saved from the crusher one day....