331 Hemi in a 63 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 331 Hemi in a 63 Hawk

I'm considering this I would like the opinion of the group.
    Would it be Awesome or Awful.
    Last edited by TXmark; 02-18-2011, 10:48 AM.
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

Mark

First off all I can say is "Can't wait for this one."

Realistically, as an SBC follower, follow your dream. If you want it, put it in. Hemi's look good and all the arguments about weight and size, etc. Have been gone over ad nausium.

If it's your dream do it. While the opinions of the forum are appreciated and advice gladly accepted, I'll build what I like and make it look like I what I want.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 02-18-2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

No matter what, Hemi's are awsome. I had a 392 in a 52 F-1 truck, loved it. 331 not a whole lotta hp and gotta have deep pockets to build any Hemi. There are alot of goodies out there for them.

Hope you go for it. Can't wait to see the results.
      Working on old cars separates the men from the golfers.

Comment

It's been done,(I assume the 331 and 392 are from the same original Hemi family) and it's hot...talk about eye candy! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...683-Hemi-Stude
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

The engine will most certainly fit. As long as you are ready for the financial and engineering challenges you're good to go. Please don't get half way in and give up.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

You did ask for opinions:

I know about swapping wider, heavier and more expensive engines into Hawks, but I use Packard V8s. Don't do it because it makes any sense at all, you do it because you have to do it.

It may seem like an idea to put a 331" hemi in a '63 Hawk because is it is not as common as some other swaps, thus gets different strokes points. However, it has been done before with the real-deal 392" hemi. The 331" will be heavier, cost a lot more to build and fit and when you've got it installed, it will make less horsepower than most any other V8 of much smaller external size and lower cost. Hemi horsepower costs even more than Studebaker horsepower. If it makes a difference to you, some impressionable people will walk by and say, "that thing's got a hemi in it."

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Sure, It'll fit:

604 Cubic inches
              Last edited by Pat Dilling; 02-18-2011, 04:02 PM.
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

If you're pulling a Stude block out, make sure it finds a home. Too many usable blocks have been scrapped.

Comment

Sure it will fit.

March 1960 Hot Rod Magazine

Comment

ON SALE only $13,500 ... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DC...66AE/?rtype=10

Now that's a Hemi !!!
                    sigpic
                    John
                    63R-2386
                    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by black56hawk View Post
                      Sure it will fit.

March 1960 Hot Rod Magazine
                      WOW...now that's 8 barrels of fun...what a clean install!
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I used to have (decades ago) an article detailing the installation of a 392 Hemi into a finned Hawk, I believe it was in an old issue of Hot Rod.
                        As I recall, the owner was from Lansing Michigan, and was very pleased with the result, with highway acceleration like a jet-plane on takeoff.
                        Last edited by Jessie J.; 02-18-2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

This makes me wonder if anyone has ever installed an International Harvestor V8 (304, 345 or 392) into a Studebaker. If the general concensus is "no", then I may just have to do it!
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

If I was going to swap out a Stude V8, I would go EFI LT1 or LS1, IMO it doesnt
                            make sense to swap a carb for a carb motor. Go OD or its even more pointless.

Tom
                            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Now that you mention it, the only US OHV8 engines I haven't personally seen in a Stude do include the IH, Ford Y-block, MEL, FE and 335 and the GM BOP 215" V8, AMC Gen I and II. Literally everything else I know of has been swapped in.

jack vines
                              Last edited by PackardV8; 02-18-2011, 07:34 PM.
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X