Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loewy's personal Starliner

Studebaker 1953 by gueguette80, on Flickr

Fascinating modifications. Packard-like dual hood scoops, hood notch, custom grille... dinner jacket with no shirt

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Richard Quinn showed some black & white photos of it here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=france

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 02-15-2011, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Great photo! Definitely a French scene I believe. From what publication is it taken?
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Certainly not an improvement on Bob Boruke's design. Just my opinion but......eeww!

Comment

Ick. Pleeease get a shirt or at least button up..... Car's cool though!
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            Ick. Pleeease get a shirt or at least button up..... Car's cool though!
            once again, loewy's ahead of his time! throw a couple more gold chains around his neck and he'd look like the lounge lizards here at the beach hitting on 20-something young women!!!
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I'm glad that design did not go into production. Maybe it would have seemed more appropriate at the time, but the standard version is much better.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
                once again, loewy's ahead of his time! throw a couple more gold chains around his neck and he'd look like the lounge lizards here at the beach hitting on 20-something young women!!!
                Perhaps a big gold Studebaker watch as a wreckless medalion!

Comment

Under magnification, he does have a light beige/patterned shirt on. BUT.....(and I might be way off here) - is that RL? Remembering pictires of him throughout his life, it does not look like him. RQ, your thoughts! stupak

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                    I'm glad that design did not go into production. Maybe it would have seemed more appropriate at the time, but the standard version is much better.
                    This was not a preproduction design study. The car is one of the production 1953 Starliners that Raymond Loewy had customized for his own use. It was considered for the 1955 model year. I like it better than the Buick chrome version that Studebaker ended up with for 1955.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Shades of the bullet-nose!
                      sigpic
                      Jack, in Montana

Comment

The text is actually claiming that the Frenchman, Raymound Loewy, has renewed American automotive design. I wonder if the writer knew it was a one-off custom?
                        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

He was ahead of his time in that way too...his second wife was 28 years his junior!
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

throw a couple more gold chains around his neck and he'd look like the lounge lizards here at the beach hitting on 20-something young women!!!
                            LOL! I thought lounge lizard too! Put me in mind of my all-time favorite gold-chain lounge lizard, the great Harry Gant. Great guy in person, but a bit over-the-top with the gold. Talk about ahead of his time, ol' Harry was the King of Bling before the term 'bling' was ever thought of!
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by stupak View Post
                              Under magnification, he does have a light beige/patterned shirt on.
                              You made me go to the original Flickr page and look at the biggest size, and I believe you are incorrect.

Thanks for making me take a closer look though
                              Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X