Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebakerfinally got serious about automobiles - and we should remember when!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakerfinally got serious about automobiles - and we should remember when!

Before Studebaker bought EMF, they really only had their toes wet in automobile world, producing just 1800-odd electric vehicles in 10 years and as well marketing vehicles produced by others, namely Garford and EMF. They actually owned no factories themselves that were capable of producing a gasoline-powered vehicle.

But finally, the vision of J. M. Studebaker's son-in-law, and company president Frederick Fish came to fruition. The Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company morphed into The Studebaker Corporation, borrowing money from J.P. Morgan to buy out EMF, become a publically traded company with new automotive facilities in Detroit, and set on a new course to retain their place as a major contender in the field of transportation manufacturing.

The question tonight is : WHAT DATE WAS THIS???
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Studebaker and EMF offically merged on December 31st, 1910 and incorporated on February 14th, 1911.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Right, Chris!! A century ago TODAY!!

I thought it was historically important enough to draw attention to the date for us Stude-nuts.

Thanks for coming up with the correct answer.
      Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
        Right, Chris!! A century ago TODAY!!

I thought it was historically important enough to draw attention to the date for us Stude-nuts.

Thanks for coming up with the correct answer.
        Reminds me of the 1952 centennial. "Rolling along for a hundred years..."
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

That is one of the reasons there is a 1911 Studebaker on the 2011 Meet T-shirt.
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
            The Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company morphed into The Studebaker Corporation, borrowing money from J.P. Morgan to buy out EMF, become a publically traded company with new automotive facilities in Detroit, and set on a new course to retain their place as a major contender in the field of transportation manufacturing.
            The great debate! Would Studebaker have been better off leaving automobile production in Detroit where the majority of the auto industry was already located??

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              The great debate! Would Studebaker have been better off leaving automobile production in Detroit where the majority of the auto industry was already located??

Craig
              As a native to South Bend, NO!
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Interesting question, Craig.

Quite a lot might have been different. Like labour relations. "The Friendly Factory" it would not have been. And grandfather-father-son employment histories would also have been few and far between. Hamilton was/is likely a different labour climate from Windsor/Walkervillle was/is and many, many former Hamlitonians employed by Studebaker were of the opinion that Studebaker of Canada was the best place they ever worked (including Matt Friend, an SDC'r and former employee who just recently passed away). Same for many in South Bend. Charlie Nash enjoyed superior relations with his employees up in Kenosha for many years, too. And - was Studebaker a better-assembled vehicle having been screwed together in South Bend vs. Detroit? We all like to think so!!

On the other hand, Studebaker surely paid a higher price for the shipment of at least some supplier parts to it's "out of town" non-Detroit location. And not being in Detroit was a big cause of their larger (some would say huge) labour costs before the mid-'50's roll-backs. But being in Detroit wasn't much easier - ask your Hudson or Packard representative! Or Henry and Edgar Kaiser.

The Studebaker-Packard merger ( yeah, I know - Packard really bought Studebaker!) would have been more beneficial if Stude had been in "Motor City". Duplicate test tracks, engineering and styling departments, head offices, sales departments, etc., all would perhaps have been easier to integrate and easier real estate adjustments might have been made.

Thanks, Craig. This is a good "what-if"!!
                Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Working...
                X