Rocker Panel Mouldings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker Panel Mouldings

I am in the process of repainting my 51 champion. How do the stainless rocker panel mouldings come off? Before I started prying and bending them I thought I would check here first.

Thanks

They are clipped on. The clips are about 3/4 inch wide and slightly longer than the height of the stainless trim. Belhind the rockers you should see under the dirt or undercoating some nuts or speed nuts. Unscrew them, the the stainless will come off. If it is a two door there are three nuts behind the B pillar towards the rear wheel well.

BG

Comment

They are clipped on. The clips are about 3/4 inch wide and slightly longer than the height of the stainless trim. Belhind the rockers you should see under the dirt or undercoating some nuts or speed nuts. Unscrew them, the the stainless will come off. If it is a two door there are three nuts behind the B pillar towards the rear wheel well.

BG

Comment

Then they made a change after 47. On my Commander there are screw clips. My bad. Never worked on anything other than 47's and 56's.

OOOOOOPS......Sorry

BG

Comment

Then they made a change after 47. On my Commander there are screw clips. My bad. Never worked on anything other than 47's and 56's.

OOOOOOPS......Sorry

BG

Comment

Must disagree with Bill here. The clips are not screwed or nutted. They have a lip that fits into the rectangular hole in the rocker, then a tab is depressed which pushes another lip into the oposite side. My '51 has only two nuts at the back edge.

First, loosen the lower front fender. There are two little ears the fit into the seam and you don't want to damage the front edge plate.
            You may be able to undo the clips from the back of the rocker by bending the exposed tabs up, and I would try that first. Then, carefully pry the molding off. Discard the clips. New ones are available from SI, Sasco, Stephen Allen and probably others.

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Must disagree with Bill here. The clips are not screwed or nutted. They have a lip that fits into the rectangular hole in the rocker, then a tab is depressed which pushes another lip into the oposite side. My '51 has only two nuts at the back edge.

First, loosen the lower front fender. There are two little ears the fit into the seam and you don't want to damage the front edge plate.
              You may be able to undo the clips from the back of the rocker by bending the exposed tabs up, and I would try that first. Then, carefully pry the molding off. Discard the clips. New ones are available from SI, Sasco, Stephen Allen and probably others.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for posting this thread. I was wondering the same thing about my 52.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Thanks for posting this thread. I was wondering the same thing about my 52.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Clip part number is 289138. 1949-52
                    Brad Johnson,
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Clip part number is 289138. 1949-52
                      Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                      X