What to do with a fire truck model.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with a fire truck model.

A few months ago I got the urge to build a model of a Studebaker that was discussed on the forum. This is where I started and where I am so far. I still have lots to do, but it's beginning to look like this thing may actually work. This is my first model in a long time and the most scratch building ever.

Where I started.

Where I am now
    Last edited by 52-fan; 02-13-2011, 06:53 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Nice!
    Be sure to post pics of the truck when it's done!

Comment

I plan to. Part of the reason that I posted was to keep a little pressure on to get it finished. Lots of things to change from stock including lengthening the frame.

Last edited by 52-fan; 02-14-2011, 09:09 AM.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Another baby step. The wheels on the firetruck were singles and for the housecar I need duals on the back so I had to make a pair. First I found a pair of chrome wheels that were wide enough for two tires to mount. I dechromed the wheels and then removed the wheel back.
        I then cut the raised rib off of the firetruck rims with a Dremel tool and a burr. Next I spun each wheel in a variable speed drill while holding a piece of sandpaper against the rim until it would just slide into the wider rims.
        My pictures are terrible, but maybe you can see what I ended up with.

Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Cool! Isn't there a forum for toys? Be sure to post it there too if you haven't already.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

They are not toys. They are models. --Heinrich Dorfmann

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1929 Ford School Bus.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1667266How about a school bus?

Comment

A school bus would certainly be possible. One like that would actually be easier to build because the door posts have not been moved back like on the housecar. The windshield and little details are a brain bender on the housecar and I guess that's part of the reason it looks so good.
                Last edited by 52-fan; 02-18-2011, 06:55 PM.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by comatus View Post
                  They are not toys. They are models. --Heinrich Dorfmann
                  I was referring to the subject of the thread, not the ladies.
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Howard,
                    I like what you are doing and please keep us posted on your progress. I would love to see the completed model on display in Springfield in June.
                    You really should join and post on the Toy Studebaker Collectors Club forum. We would love to answer any questions you may have.
                    The Link: http://tscc-online.lefora.com/
                    Gary Sanders
                    Nixa, MO

Comment

I didn't realize that the Studebaker Toy Collectors Club was about modeling.
                      I intend to bring this thing to Springfield if it gets done on time. So far so good. The main thing that I am holding back on is the windows. I was hoping to find some ready made windows to adapt. I think this model needs the diamond shaped glass to look like a real period RV.

Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

could you fake the muntins with some ultra-fine pinstriping tape? Not sure what scale you're working in. Definitely be careful not to make the muntins too big, that is easy to do and is one of those things that will "pop" and make the model look, well, model-like.

good luck

nate
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
                          could you fake the muntins with some ultra-fine pinstriping tape? Not sure what scale you're working in. Definitely be careful not to make the muntins too big, that is easy to do and is one of those things that will "pop" and make the model look, well, model-like.

good luck

nate
                          I was thinking wire could be used.

Comment

Its quite a project that you've taken on, and a very inventive process to create dual rear wheels! Good luck with it!
                            If you're working in 1/24 or 1/32 scale, I think that G (garden) guage train models are close (G gauge varies a bit in scale from company to company). You might be able to get windows from a train model supply house.
                            Last edited by Lothar; 02-18-2011, 08:38 PM. Reason: Add a well-deserved compliment
                            John
                            1950 Champion
                            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                            Holdrege NE

Comment

The model is in 1/32 scale. I was wondering what railroad scale was closest. I'll check out G gauge.
                              The pinstriping tape is a possibility too. I was thinking that I might have to try stretched sprue or the like and I couldn't quite see how it would work.
                              I had to look up muntin. So that's what those are!
                              Last edited by 52-fan; 02-19-2011, 05:19 AM.
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X